My 3 yr old Husky 372xp is dead HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I dried out the saw completely....pulled the plug, pulled it over numerous times, let it sit over night with the plug out at BDC. Reinstalled the plug and went through the starting sequence and no fire on more than 30 pulls on a saw that was until SUDDENLY a 1-2 puller.

It was after this that I dried it out again, gave it a couple of drops of gas and it still wouldn't fire. It was then that I did hit it with a small amount of ether..:msp_w00t:..yes, yes I did it's my saw and I can do that...anyway it still did not fire...

The saw was fueled off of the same 2 gallon fuel jug of non-ethanol high octane 50:1 premix with Amsoil Dominator 2x prior to this fill that same day so I don't believe fuel is an issue.

It is the SUDDEN failure that is making me think it's ignition related, yes it has spark but it may not be enough or at the right time....

LM

when you did this...did you use the choke?

OK, I dried out the saw completely....pulled the plug, pulled it over numerous times, let it sit over night with the plug out at BDC. Reinstalled the plug and went through the starting sequence and no fire on more than 30 pulls on a saw that was until SUDDENLY a 1-2 puller.

It was after this that I dried it out again, gave it a couple of drops of gas and it still wouldn't fire. It was then that I did hit it with a small amount of ether..:msp_w00t:..yes, yes I did it's my saw and I can do that...anyway it still did not fire...

The saw was fueled off of the same 2 gallon fuel jug of non-ethanol high octane 50:1 premix with Amsoil Dominator 2x prior to this fill that same day so I don't believe fuel is an issue.

It is the SUDDEN failure that is making me think it's ignition related, yes it has spark but it may not be enough or at the right time....

LM

The coil's not going to fire out of time with the flywheel on correctly, and normally coils fail completely or when they get hot. Buy a new Bosch or NGK plug and I bet it starts right up.

Maybe I missed this in the thread...

Faulty kill switch? Seems like an Ohm meter could test for this.

Ground out somewhere? Do all the wires look okay? Nothing with the coating rubbed off?

I have found that 90% of faulty Husky switches wont shut off rather than the other way...however this could be one of those 10%...

BUT he claims it has spark....SO...

Spark or not, it's an easy test and rules out some other problems! I think it's a coil myself, or two bad plugs, really rare, but possible.
Remember K I S S first, then make it hard, pulling the kill wire will take all of 3min.

Spark or not, it's an easy test and rules out some other problems! I think it's a coil myself, or two bad plugs, really rare, but possible.
Remember K I S S first, then make it hard, pulling the kill wire will take all of 3min.

If he has a Champion and a Denso plug I'd say it's quite likely.

I have recently had similar experience with my 4yr old Jonsered 2171(sudden failure) - it had spark with plug resting on cylinder.
Tried drying out saw/ cleaning carburettor/ checked flywheel key/ checking fuel line/changing spark plug/ checking compression - all to no avail.
Finally started instantly after swapped swapped coil... swapped a blue one for a black one.
I think the black ones are simpler without rev limiters.

I have recently had similar experience with my 4yr old Jonsered 2171(sudden failure) - it had spark with plug resting on cylinder.
Tried drying out saw/ cleaning carburettor/ checked flywheel key/ checking fuel line/changing spark plug/ checking compression - all to no avail.
Finally started instantly after swapped swapped coil... swapped a blue one for a black one.
I think the black ones are simpler without rev limiters.

Basically the same symptoms I am having. Mine is the original blue as well, my sparks with my plug out of my cylinder too but I have my doubts when it's installed.

Some seem to think that I SUDDENLY just need to change the way I have always started it (ie..no choke) and don't get me wrong, I thank everyone for the advice, but I am leaning toward the ignition. I did have a bad ignition on my Husky 61 and yes it only failed when it was hot and would restart after an hour of cooling.

I am certainly leaning toward the $40 ignition...kind of a shame if that's the case as this saw has maybe 5 gallons of fuel through it...

LM

The saw never died. It was shut off just to replace the chain and it wouldn't restart...

Poor choice of words...died as in its now dead and will not start, not died as in it was running and turned itself off.

So did you gap the new plug though? I could see a plug in there going bad and the replacement has too wide a gap out of the box...it'll sparka nice blue arc when you ground it and carnk it, but its not strong or consistent enough to fire. Seems overly simple, but you didn't say if you gapped the new plug or just put it in.

Did you ever try disconnecting the kill switch? I have had problems with them on Huskies. I wonder if it is making partial contact, enough to weaken the spark but leave enough spark that you can see the spark when you check for spark.

Chris

Ignition coils are lifetime guaranteed or 7 years after the last year that particular model was produced. If it's the coil then your dealer could have replaced it for free.

Latest posts

Back