My 3 yr old Husky 372xp is dead HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As easy as they are to change I would let you stick one of mine on if you were close by. The bad coil had a blue spark but was not real strong. You should be able to hear it snapping. CJ

What is the coil to flywheel air gap set at, lots of the newer coils can be very particular. Too much or too little and you have nothing.Without using an expensive tester (the looking for blue spark / hearing the snap etc ..........well i might win the lottery one day) double your plug gap and check for spark. Is there any carbon tracking in the plug boot on the the plug terminal, or the on the terminal stud? Coil issues are few and far between on newer saws, but seems eveybody loves to replace them.

ok wow 65 posts..............................do a vac and pressure test.................
when you got the saw back what shape was the bar and chain in? was the bar discolored and a dry chain??..........vac and pressure test will reveal alot, if i was a betting man i would say you have a crank seal failure most likely on the clutch side...........but hey vac and pressure test will tell all.

Last edited:
What is the coil to flywheel air gap set at, lots of the newer coils can be very particular. Too much or too little and you have nothing.Without using an expensive tester (the looking for blue spark / hearing the snap etc ..........well i might win the lottery one day) double your plug gap and check for spark. Is there any carbon tracking in the plug boot on the the plug terminal, or the on the terminal stud? Coil issues are few and far between on newer saws, but seems eveybody loves to replace them.

ok wow 65 posts..............................do a vac and pressure test.................
when you got the saw back what shape was the bar and chain in? was the bar discolored and a dry chain??..........vac and pressure test will reveal alot, if i was a betting man i would say you have a crank seal failure most likely on the clutch side...........but hey vac and pressure test will tell all.

Just my opinion crank seals will show up gradual with symptoms showing up before a failed start. It will also run irregular this saw was running fine one minute and failing to start after shutting it off. That is exactly what mine did when my coil went out and please do not think it was flooded as I can start a flooded saw by pulling and holding throttle at wide open choke off. My coil was bad and that was a fact.

I'm going with a weak ignition that shows some spark without compression, but once installed, the compression keeps it from doing so. (I also find that my 372 starts better cold when I don't use the de-comp and pull it several times. Only about two pulls, then press it in. This seems to help with the fuel flow and takes less pulls than using the de-comp button the whole time. Just a thought.)

Like ropensaddle mentioned, was the spark blue or a red/yellow color?

Let us know what the new ignition does for you.

Last edited:
I'm going with a weak ignition that shows some spark without compression, but once installed, the compression keeps it from doing so.

Like ropensaddle mentioned, was the spark blue or a red/yellow color?

Let us know what the new ignition does for you.

I went with oem ign non limited the added expense is usually worth it on electronics jmo.

The Jury is Back.....

New ignition installed........and................................................off and running on the first pull! :rock:

Thanks for the helps!

LM

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I added an aftermarket nonlimited coil to my 2171 after it had a couple tanks on it. Made it less than a tank and it would not restart. Pulled and pulled and pulled before I finally decided to put the oem coil back on to eliminate the coil as a possibility. That fixed it! The aftermarket coil was junk. After that I decided no more aftermarket coils.

Good luck.

Waylan

Latest posts

Back