My 359 rules

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get your panties out of wad, so what your sacred 361 isnt the winner in this test, it might be tommorrow. though it does seem to be loseing some of its cancer cureing qualities in the last few months.

i dont know that there will ever be true un biased test with human skin contacking the thottle trigger and wrapping there hands around the handlebar.

:clap::clap: #1 Evan, the only way your gonna have a 100% test is if its done by a robot and on the exact same piece of wood exact same cut and that's impossible! I don't care what anybody says there can be a diff in the wood from one cut to the next.

So in reality if one saw beats another in his wood with his chains and his cutting style, wouldn't that mean the husky is faster than the stihl for him in his cutting style?

OOH crap that cant be true! A 359 faster than a 361 , that must have been a bad test!!

Its a sad day for stihl heads somebody has went crazy and told the public they like the 359 as well or even worse that dirty word BETTER than the 361!

. Do I have to have 5000 posts to make me an expert? Incredible!! :[/QUOTE said:
Around here that seems to be the norm and the holy grail way of thinking. If I could teach my dad to use a computer i'm sure he could teach everybody a little something. I believe that your 359 is faster but to shut some naysayers up your gonna need a video with 2 new chains and an 18" log and then you'll stihl have people blame the operator or the bar or the gas or the oil or the wind or the density of the wood etc etc. Point is you have two saws that pretty much do the same thing it just so happens that one of them could have got ya 4 extra chains for the price diff. Cut and be happy and then e-bay that 361 and get some of your $600 and some dollars back and buy a bigger saw to accomodate your 359. That is all.

a 460 to be un brand biased:cheers: maybe 441 wichever you prefer. both dang good saws.

I'm sorry, but I can't see a 359 being 20%-30% faster than a 361. The time differences are too big to be believable.

You need to have both saws tuned by the same person right before the test. Then you MUST use the same chain. I also recommend that you make cuts with both light, normal, and heavy loads. The wood must be consistent in diameter and in the same log. The operator must not use the spikes to lever the saw through the cut. A video will be a must as well. You can't just throw numbers on the board like this and expect people to believe it.

Last edited:
You can't just throw numbers on the board like this and expect people to believe it.

LOL, love that quote.

Amazing how people float all sorts of ideas on junk science.

Any testing I have done 359 vs 361 has come out very close both on paper and real world no matter the level of modification. One 60cc saw being 25% faster than another 60cc saw is saying there is something wrong with one of the many uncontrolled variables in the test.

hoop, here are the problems with your test:

-you cut from two directions
-you did not use the same chain for both
-there is a huge discrepancy bw what the expected result would be based on the hp; 12% less hp and 20% faster???
-you changed techniques and the times went down by another 20%?

i am not arguing that a 359 might go toe-to-toe with a 361. but with the results, the expected results and the deficiencies in your trials, it would be a stretch to call this test fair or accurate.

that and the fact that you are using Amsoil with less than 5000 post make this an invalid assessment.

mow, you are comparing a well broken-in saw against a new saw. you should know better.

sbhooper, good to see your brave and posting your results. I figured you would get a lot of the comments that you did. However, many were good advice.

I have access to quite a few brands and models of saws and have thought about posting some differences. However, I need to hone up on this video/picture posting stuff to add to its validity.

In past forestry research and in the fisheries research that I currently do the sampling protocol is standardized, but there is still some bias with differences in equipment and operator use. To put some type of statistical significance on data that is published, it is most often listed with a 95% confidence interval. Yes, there is headaches with publishing results in this field too. Statistical critics are many in number.

Kind of technical for chainsaw performance, but could still be applied.

Keep posting....can be like jumping into a lake of red-bellied piranaha sometimes.....other times not so.

I'm sorry, but I can't see a 359 being 20%-30% faster than a 361. The time differences are too big to be believable.
to agr havYou need to have both saws tuned by the same person right before the test. Then you MUST use the same chain. I also re
Ie commend that you make cuts with both light, normal, and heavy loads. The wood must be consistent in diameter and in the same log. The operator must not use the spikes to lever the saw through the cut. A video will be a must as well. You can't just throw numbers on the board like this and expect people to believe it.

I have to agree. I believe the 359 to be a worthy equal all things being even. I got a 372 thats bone stock yet will hang with a 441,460 and runs circles around my other 372 I have. That being said maybe he just got a really really good 359 or a piss poor 361. Like I said earlier, video, new identical chains and a 16" or so log and then that should be proof enough.

I have ran both 359's and 361's... both stock, and muffler modded. Both are exceptional saws.

I never bought in to the 361 hype either. I owned one of the early models, and also had Andy's (Lakeside53's) prototype muffler mod on it. The pictures you see in his tutorial are the muffler that was on my saw.

I sold that saw over a year ago... It now is in Vernon BC, and lives a happy life with an arborist... who runs the hell out of it daily.

It was just not enough saw for me... most 60cc saws aren't enough for what I wanna do.

Anyways... I do agree with all the variables and boxes that were left unchecked for the comparison. The OP is a little disgruntled that everybody didn't jump up and clap... Can a 359 beat a 361? You bet it can... but, I don't know you, or your capabilities with a saw.

Oh... I have over 5,000 posts... so I know what I'm talkin' about... :rolleyes:

Gary

I have ran both 359's and 361's... both stock, and muffler modded. Both are exceptional saws.

I never bought in to the 361 hype either. I owned one of the early models, and also had Andy's (Lakeside53's) prototype muffler mod on it. The pictures you see in his tutorial are the muffler that was on my saw.

I sold that saw over a year ago... It now is in Vernon BC, and lives a happy life with an arborist... who runs the hell out of it daily.

It was just not enough saw for me... most 60cc saws aren't enough for what I wanna do.

Anyways... I do agree with all the variables and boxes that were left unchecked for the comparison. The OP is a little disgruntled that everybody didn't jump up and clap... Can a 359 beat a 361? You bet it can... but, I don't know you, or your capabilities with a saw.

Gary

Yup..

LOL, love that quote.

Amazing how people float all sorts of ideas on junk science.

Any testing I have done 359 vs 361 has come out very close both on paper and real world no matter the level of modification. One 60cc saw being 25% faster than another 60cc saw is saying there is something wrong with one of the many uncontrolled variables in the test.

Yep! You ever had one of those day when it just seems your saw isn't running for crap and you realize it was you? I do every monday.

Gary
Hope I have some rep left over for ya! But I have always thought it was splitting hairs when it comes to comparing saw's. My 2159 is my favorite saw, But then I am on the East side of the Rocky's and the trees don't get that big here.Not a Stihl head but the 361 is a nice saw I have run one and liked it. I see your point if I lived on the other side of the Rocks I would use my 7900 much more and the big old mac would be home there too.
Now I have to say this either I got a very strong 2159 out of the box or the 2156 I put it up against at the dealer was not that great, as I could tell no diff just counting seconds in my head as I cut a log. Just goes to show opinions and the particular saw you are running that day may vary.I for one always thought my 041 super had more jam in big wood than my 044? yet the 041 should be about 1 hp less?And I sold them both to a friend and he thinks the same thing! that 041 super is one beast.
Bastard wont sell it back to me lol!
P.S I sold the 041S as my buddy's 044 I sold him got stolen, he got it back though. Now he has become attached to the 041S and does not want to sell it back!
But it just goes to show you can't believe paper numbers!

Its amazing to me how many people are more interested in patting the other guy on the back than listening to one persons opinion! I guess that's how important rep is to some people.
To me it would make more sense to accept that one individual likes a 359 as well or better than a 361, and for him it cuts faster!
Its pretty ridiculous that everybody is so worked up over 2 saws in the 60cc class. Some think the stihl is better and some the husky, I believe the stihl is better for some people as is the husky for some.
Myself I am not a stihl lover in fact FOR MEthey are mostly overated and I don't care for them!
I do like huskys but a 359 is not my favorite 60cc saw by a long ways, For me a dolmar 6000 or 116si is way better and itll smoke your 359 or 361!
Lets keep this in perspective that's for me and what I do and what I like!!

So to sum it all up as far as 359vs361 they are diff saws and every person is diff and has a diff cutting style, diff uses etc. There is no way to really say its better or faster it changes from day to day and person to person and saw to saw. Me I just accept hopper likes his 359, most of you like your 361 and ill take neither over a old heavy dolmar!:cheers:

Last edited:
Smilin Possum will probably not smile at me :), but at work the one 029 Super in use doesn't really out perform the 290's we have. There are a couple of 290's that it will out cut, but others not. Maybe its a bad apple of the bunch (and the factor of employees that don't care).

I just have a few months time on my 359 and to this point have been very impressed. With all the prior saw time on 029's and 290's, I wouldn't expect them to get as much work done as the 359. However, maybe this experience with just one 359 is an extra good one.

Don't get me wrong I like my 359 with a 24" bar full comp. it does what I ask of it and that's what counts. I forgot one small detail mine has been touched by the golden screw driver and a die grinder. Oops my bad I should have said that from the start.

Its amazing to me how many people are more interested in patting the other guy on the back than listening to one persons opinion! I guess that's how important rep is to some people.
To me it would make more sense to accept that one individual likes a 359 as well or better than a 361, and for him it cuts faster!
Its pretty ridiculous that everybody is so worked up over 2 saws in the 60cc class. Some think the stihl is better and some the husky, I believe the stihl is better for some people as is the husky for some.
Myself I am not a stihl lover in fact FOR MEthey are mostly overated and I don't care for them!
I do like huskys but a 359 is not my favorite 60cc saw by a long ways, For me a dolmar 6000 or 116si is way better and itll smoke your 359 or 361!
Lets keep this in perspective that's for me and what I do and what I like!!

So to sum it all up as far as 359vs361 they are diff saws and every person is diff and has a diff cutting style, diff uses etc. There is no way to really say its better or faster it changes from day to day and person to person and saw to saw. Me I just accept hopper likes his 359, most of you like your 361 and ill take neither over a old heavy dolmar!:cheers:

This arguement does not stem from the fact that some prefer one brand over the other, or likes one saw better than the other. It stems from the fact that the testing was seriously flawed and the fact that there's no way that a stock 359 is 20%-30% faster than a 361. Just ain't gonna happen. And the other part is that several are trying to turn this into a brand war just because others have pointed out the invalidity of the test. It's them that are making this a brand war, not those of us pointing out the faults of the test and impossibilities of the results. And for the record, I don't care which saw is faster. I have them both, as well as the 357 and MS360.

Last edited:
This arguement does not stem from the fact that some prefer one brand over the other, or likes one saw better than the other. It stems from the fact that the testing was seriously flawed and the fact that there's no way that a stock 359 is 20%-30% faster than a 361. Just ain't gonna happen. And the other part, is that several are trying to turn this into a brand war just because others have pointed out the invalidity of the test.

I still have to disagree, even though I know you know your saws.
My view is a 359 tuned really good can and did cut faster than a 361 that we assume is tuned good, in one persons hands.
Remember I'm sure you have seen same saws for instance a 5100 and a diff 5100 and one of them would just school the other. Just like cars you can take 10 exactly the same off the assembly line and there is gonna be one that is a little better! Also what is faster in your hands may not be in my hands for instance I don't have any faith in a STIHL and I like a lot of grunt low rpm torque in a saw, so naturally a old dolmar is gonna suite me way better than a higher strung saw of the stihl brand.
All I am saying is I don't think hopper said all 359s are faster than 361s , he said his was yesterday for him!
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Also I do agree with you 100% it should not be a brand war! I know stihls are good saws but they are not my favorite, nor are husky!
That does not mean I dont agree for some people they are the best!

Last edited:
I did not say that a 359 cannot outcut a 361. What I said is that it's impossible for it to outcut one by 20%-30%. I don't see this as a back patting or brand war at all. I'm simply discount his result entirely because of the obviously flawed testing. That's fine if he likes his 359 better, I'm just not buying these test results.

Back