My 361 might need a big brother

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLD_IRON

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I'm looking for another saw...got some jobs coming up later in the year that I'd rather have something bigger for. I will still use the 361 for limbing and cutting the smaller stuff. I plan on running a 28-32" bar in mostly softwoods.

I would prefer something with a spring type anti vibe - a saw that is very smooth. I have a bad spot in my right shoulder that some equipment can aggravate - so good AV is a necessity. The 361 doesn't bother me, but my FS80 is a killer for some reason. So, that said, I am looking for the right saw for ME.

I would prefer to buy local (Stihl/Husky) so Dolmar isn't really an option.

Anyway...

I am looking at the following models:

Stihl - 441

Husky - 372, 575, 385, 390

I'm just wondering which of these would be the smoothest saws to operate. I have compared the prices of the 441 to the 390 and it was within about $100-150 - with wrap handles. Last time I was at Woods they only had the 390 and 395XP in stock - the rest were homeowner saws.

Let the games begin.

395 :bowdown: . Don't bother with a "tweener" :hmm3grin2orange: .

If it weren't for your vibration issue, I'd also recommend a 660. Mine doesn't vibrate in the cut but I've never run the 395, so can't compare. If you have a good shop, they should let you run both side by side to see if one suits you better. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. I got the 660 cause it is lighter and feels less bulky. I've also developed brand loyalty after having had the 036 and the MS 200T. Trying to stay honest with the feedback. Given that, you will probably be fine with all of the saws you listed, so long as you are cutting softwood and don't plan to do any production. If you need to "get-'r-done", step up to the 395. Best of luck with the decision.

Stihl MS 460. It is SOOOOOO smooth and is just now getting broken in, and it actually has a bit of power. As in a fair amount of power. Like it rocks and CLAFBOH! (cuts really well, haha) also is lightweight. From the sound of your post it seems you really need a 6 series saw, but with a shoulder it might be OK to run a longer bar and cut a little slower.............
I hear the 441 is smooth, but i dont know about the power for the long bars...

If you already have a 361 I personally wouldn't waste my time with a 440, 372, or 575, the cc difference is marginal and won't really gain you much more bar capacity. Here in the west the 361 is a max 25" bar and the 440 is about a 32" bar saw. That being said a 660 would be a better upsize Stihl and the 385 Husky would be the pick. Whatever saw you choose you will be very happy as they are all quality products. I would steer away from the 441/575 and lean more twards the 372/460 because of the emissions technology.

Sounds like you want a 390XPW, as long as you don't mind the bent handle. :laugh:

I agree, based on the feedback the saws listed or mentioned so far in the tread have got in the past - and that 70cc is smaller than you really should consider.

:)

So I'm looking for another saw...got some jobs coming up later in the year that I'd rather have something bigger for. I will still use the 361 for limbing and cutting the smaller stuff. I plan on running a 28-32" bar in mostly softwoods.

I would prefer something with a spring type anti vibe - a saw that is very smooth. I have a bad spot in my right shoulder that some equipment can aggravate - so good AV is a necessity. The 361 doesn't bother me, but my FS80 is a killer for some reason. So, that said, I am looking for the right saw for ME.

I would prefer to buy local (Stihl/Husky) so Dolmar isn't really an option.

Anyway...

I am looking at the following models:

Stihl - 441

Husky - 372, 575, 385, 390

I'm just wondering which of these would be the smoothest saws to operate. I have compared the prices of the 441 to the 390 and it was within about $100-150 - with wrap handles. Last time I was at Woods they only had the 390 and 395XP in stock - the rest were homeowner saws.

Let the games begin.

441:cheers:

I'd say skip the 70cc saws and go for the 390 or 395. I know It wasn't on your list, but have you consider the Dolmar 7900? it weights less than the 390, but puts out almost the same amount of power.

+1 Particularly with consideration to the Dolmar because the lighter weight should be a plus with a sore shoulder.

+1 Particularly with consideration to the Dolmar because the lighter weight should be a plus with a sore shoulder.

Well if Dolmar actually had a dealership around here, it would be an obvious choice, but they don't. I am considering the Solo as a last option - only because I can buy it from Baileys.

Keep it up guys.

NOT!

if it was me and a bad shoulder thats likely to get worse the 372 is just the ticket. wouldnt even consider a bigger saw unless its needed. yes it might cut a bit slower with skip but you body will feel much better.

:cheers:

NOT!

if it was me and a bad shoulder thats likely to get worse the 372 is just the ticket. wouldnt even consider a bigger saw unless its needed. yes it might cut a bit slower with skip but you body will feel much better.

:cheers:

You actually may have a point - didn't think of the weight issue this time.......:greenchainsaw:

....but then he didn't mention weight as a factor....

Last edited:
You actually may have a point - didn't think of the weight issue this time.......:greenchainsaw:

....but then he didn't mention weight as a factor....

Well, I picked up a 441 the other day while I was in the shop. It wasn't too bad, and thats the R version at 15.2 lbs according to Stihl. I will be putting a reduced weight bar on the saw as well.

You will like the 441. It is smoother than the 361. I just purchased one and didn't even have it started once, before it went in for porting and muffler modd. The saw builder tested this modded 441 against his fastest modded 460, and without a stop watch to time the cuts in seasoned hickory, he said the 441 was even with the modded 460, and the 441 isn't even broke in yet.

He said the 441 is very, very smooth, just a pure pleasure to run.

His boss and the cutters were all allowed to try it and they really like it. This company has about 10 modded 460's that they use. Needless to say, they probably won't be purchasing anymore 460's.

Additionally, the air cleaner is very good.

Sam

If you have some logs to cut I'd be happy to bring my 044 with me next time I head to Oak Harbor (usually Wednesdays & Fridays). I know you're thinking 441 but just thought I'd suggest it.

FWIW, my 044 with a 25" Stihl b/c & 3/4 wrap is lighter than my 310 with a 20" b/c (or so it seems).

My 028 needed a brother. Got the 310. My 310 needed a brother. Got the 044. My 044 needed a brother. Got the 066.

No more kids for me (at least for awhile ;) )

Just thought I'd add that if you are set on a Dolmar you can get one in Bellingham @ General Chain Saw Supply.

They sell Husky's & Dolmar. Less than 3 blocks away is a Stihl dealership. About 10 blocks from that is / was a Shindaiwa dealer (been awhile).

Dolmar Dealer in Bellingham

First I would handle all the saws you are thinking about and see how they feel to you. That will tell you a lot!

The 441 is supposed to be very smooth, I don't know, but for the wieght, I would go 460 while you can still get one.

I would take the 575 of my list first and foremost!!! Pick one up some time, it feels like a tank, and it seems they are still having some reliability issues with it.

The 372 stock, no way. It will cut so close to the 361 and work so hard with a bigger bar, I think it will wear you out.

The 372 with a woods port, it might work.
As said before it's a "tweener" saw, I don't think it wil be enough of a gain to make you happy. I hear of guys running 28's on 361's!

The 385 seems to have a lot of problems.

The 390 seems to have fixed most of thos problems and more, yet to hear a bad word about it.

Just my .02.:cheers:

I would take the 575 of my list first and foremost!!! Pick one up some time, it feels like a tank, and it seems they are still having some reliability issues with it.

co-sign. I have never run it but I have been into 2 Husky shops (gf was in the fabric store!) and they said that the 575XP is not really a pro-quality saw. One guy did mention that they are (or will be soon) selling the 575XP at Lowe's / Home Depot.

It could be that they were giving me the run-around. You never know.

Latest posts

Back