My 6 second ride, hopefully

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot91

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
New to the site. Don't know much about anything but cars so here is my moneypit.

91 Coupe stock bottom end 302
GT40p heads ported and polished
B 303 cam with 1.7rockers
Edelbrock performer intake
Mallory ignition
Turbonetics t 72 turbo
mini spool rear end with 31 spline axles and carrier
much more to list

Should be good for 750 rwhp with a 110 tune.

13211041074.jpg

turboinstall.jpg

turboinstall2.jpg

In the middle of rebuilding an AODE now to put behind the motor and fitting up some 295/65's out back so she'll hook.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

That's a pretty nice ride for a Ford... how much boost are you pushin? That golf cart in the backround looks pretty sweet too!! Kudos to you nice work!!!

18psi with the supercharger that is in the dyno picture above. That picture is a few years old. That was take at Bigwood Racing in Benson, NC operated by the great Randy Haywood. He tuned the car for 93 octane and methanol and it only put down 440 at the wheels. Not too bad for a weekend supercharger project.

As soon as I finish the aode Im building, I'm gonna take it back to him to tune it for race gas and turn the wick up a little. 25 psi is gonna be what I'm shooting for this time with the turbo. However turbo psi and supercharger psi are two different things. Turbo boost is a lot more powerfull than the supercharger boost. We'll see what happens. Probably split the block, then I can go ahead and drop in a windsor based stroker like I've been wanting to do for a while now.

nice car what does it do in the 1/4 mile, or do you do 1/8 mile. nice golf cart

Only run the 1/8th at this time. Not geared for the quarter. I went 7.90 with the old set-up and a broke C4. Should run low 6's or high 5's with the set-up I have now. I think that would be low 10's or high 9's in the quarter. Not too bad for a street car IMO.

Nice!!

That is a dam big turbo!:jawdrop::clap:

Do ya'll forsee any traction issues? Ya'll going to launch at half boost, full boost?

Me and a bud built a 89 GT, 383 Chevy/Turbo 350. We estimate the power to be close to 600hp and have ran 10.18@132 for the best time on motor, we are having traction issues and are holding off on the 300 shot.:D

I'm running SSM lift bars and Moroso drag springs with MT 295/65's out back. I don't think traction will be a big issue,lol. Might break alot of stuff though.

I'm only going to footbrake off the line at around whatever my stall is, 3800 I think. The car is still pretty fat also since I still have full interior and that heavy automatic.

That is a dam big turbo!:jawdrop::clap:

Do ya'll forsee any traction issues? Ya'll going to launch at half boost, full boost?

Me and a bud built a 89 GT, 383 Chevy/Turbo 350. We estimate the power to be close to 600hp and have ran 10.18@132 for the best time on motor, we are having traction issues and are holding off on the 300 shot.:D

I see your from NC. You wouldn't happen to be on HPJ website would you?

Always nice to see a fellow stanger. I working on a 331 YS trim setup right now for my notch.

Should be pretty healthy set-up. I loved my Paxton, but after I did the Renegade pulley swap I kept breaking the balancer of off the crank. That big 8'' pulley was alot of load for the crank. I didn't have a cogged set-up so I had to tighten the belt up like a high E guitar string so it wouldn't slip. I'm gonna miss that instant hit that blower made.

Aren't you expecting a bit much from the stock crank/block?

thats what i was just thinking. if that lower end's stock watch out. put a stud kit in it at least. that'll help out a little. hate to see all that work go to waste when you throw a rod get oil on the slicks and slam the wall. not to mention the fact you could get seriously hurt.:cheers:

thats what i was just thinking. if that lower end's stock watch out. put a stud kit in it at least. that'll help out a little. hate to see all that work go to waste when you throw a rod get oil on the slicks and slam the wall. not to mention the fact you could get seriously hurt.:cheers:

The 5.0 blocks have a habit of separating into 2 pieces at the cam.

If the tune is right, there is nothing to worry about.However, I agree the stock block is going to split at some point. The rods will be OK as long as the car is tuned to "push the piston softly" so to speak. Pistons are forged from the factory on 90 model and up. Detonation is the killer of any race motor, especially high compression motors. My motor is 10 to 1 with my choice of heads and with the boost set at around 18 psi you can expect 15 to 1 compression. As long as air/fuel ratio is correct throuhout the rpm range, you shouldn't get much detonation. I will only run the high boost for my tune on the dyno just to get some good numbers. Then get another safer tune for racing at lower boost. I have a SCT eliminator chip so I can burn 4 tunes in at one time.

There are plenty of stock 5.0 blocks that have seen 700plus and lived through 20 track passes and 15,000 street miles. Some have only seen 400plus and split after 5 passes on the track. Just go to turbomustangs.com and look at those cars on there. Its a crapshoot either way. Besides that will give me more reson to go ahead and get my windsor stroker complete faster,lol.

I have all the necessary safety components in place though. Main girdle which is good for nothing but holding everything together when it flies apart. Scattershield for the trans bell and driveshaft safety loop. Everything but a cage. That is my next safety feature I need to add.

Oh BTW I always run over the counter head gaskets so there is always a weak spot other than the block. Thats whats kept this 180K engine going as long as it has. Bad thing is, I can change gaskets now blindfolded in under 4 hrs, lol.

Last edited:
Back