My answer for the flipcap problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like em. But I guess I have not had any issues with the O-ring swelling. But if the O-ring is swelling won't that still be an issue regardless of cap design? Why not just buy a few .25 O-rings and keep em in the tool box?

Actually that was my first thought.
I found on mine the o-rings were unaffected.
I took the o-ring off a bad cap that wouldn't seat, and a brand new one.
They measured the same thickness; I.D. and O.D.
Your experience may vary.
-br

Actually that was my first thought.
I found on mine the o-rings were unaffected.
I took the o-ring off a bad cap that wouldn't seat, and a brand new one.
They measured the same thickness; I.D. and O.D.
Your experience may vary.

I find they swell and get tight from the ethanol in the gas.
-br

You lost me...... I thought you said the Ethanol was swelling the O-ring not allowing the cap to seat all the way?

You lost me...... I thought you said the Ethanol was swelling the O-ring not allowing the cap to seat all the way?

No I said the cap itself swells. The plastic part, not the o-ring.
See below.

I'll preface by saying this is regarding the gas flip cap.
I find they swell and get tight from the ethanol in the gas.
Like I said above; the E-10 swells the cap.

To check the cap - lay the saw bar cover side down; take out your flippy cap.
Remove the o-ring with a pick. Now try to put the cap on normally. If it's a tight fit; your cap is likely swollen.
-br

Last edited:
I think its a safe bet that the flippy caps were engineered by the same guy who designed the 019t.

Okay, got it I thought you were talking about the o-ring. So I would assume then that no matter what style cap, you will inevitably have trouble with the plastic swelling?

That is the first time I have ever heard of plastic swelling from gas, ethanol. Atleast of the quality they use in tanks.

.25 cent O ring .............not a Stihl O ring, I too thought they would be a quarter, went in this week to pick one up for the gas cap on a BG85 blower, picked it up in parts went to the front counter, $2.60 cents later I had my O ring, shame on me, should had just went to the farm store and got one for a quarter, but hey it's Stihl quality, lol.

I think its a safe bet that the flippy caps were engineered by the same guy who designed the 019t.

Or the H&K P7...

Remember the "Space pen" developed so that Astronauts could write in zero Gravity? Cost a couple Million to develop.

The Russians just tossed a handfull of pencils in the capsule.;)

At a certain point, some things like flippy caps and space pens are nothing more than academic engineering masturbatory exercises put into production.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Okay, got it I thought you were talking about the o-ring. So I would assume then that no matter what style cap, you will inevitably have trouble with the plastic swelling?

That is the first time I have ever heard of plastic swelling from gas, ethanol. Atleast of the quality they use in tanks.

The tank itself doesn't seem to change, just the cap.
If the tank was changing; a new cap wouldn't help.

It isn't only the Stihl caps...
I have a Poulan that is a regular screw-in type.
It got so bad I could hardly get the cap off.
It's the ethanol; not the gas alone.

The problem with the Poulan cap, is that it uses a piece of sintered metal as a vent. The vent is "in" the cap; so as the cap changes shape the vent leaks.
So not only is the cap hard to tighten and loosen; it leaks at the vent.
A new cap fits and won't leak..for a while. :cry:
-br

Never had a problem with the flip caps, except for the occasional oil overfill, which I avoid like the plague. Lube ain't cheap - Sam

They were invented for Women?

No wonder I had so much trouble.

I don't know how to cook either.:hmm3grin2orange:

I reckon then that Stihls are only made for Women then...

So when I'm running one, is that like cross dressing?

Just wierd.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

sold off my MS260 and MS460 just to get away from those flippy caps. kept my 046 and 026 because they has old style carbs and caps.

unfortunately can't do that with MS200T and BR600... stuck with flippy caps on those... arggggghhhhhh

Until you go out and run 8 tanks through a saw in 90 degree heat you will not fully hate flip caps. When screw caps are properly used just alittle snugging is all that is needed. NEVER use the screwdriver unless its really cold first thing in the morning when hands dont work that good. you can use the screwdriver slot on the cap as a referance so you know when they are good to go.
Nothing is worse than fiddeling with a flip cap while fighting the loosing battle of heat exaustion/stroke and just wanting to sit on your ass for 2 minutes before you go back at her. THEN to top it off, getting soaked in gasoline before lunch will make you beg for mercy, that **** hurts BAD!! Not painful but very uncomfortable is loosing your oil while the saw is running and looking like someone that has a thigh made out of one of those tastey cheese cake popsicles.

Why do yall think the 660 still has screw caps? Cause we will stop buying them if they put flip caps on them....

I used them for three years without a problem until...:censored: Gas down my pant leg. I seated the cap, turned it, felt it click into place but it fell right out when I picked up the saw. I think they're great except that they can feel as though the're securely installed without being securely installed.

I would like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to anyone I may have inadvertently poked a little fun at for having trouble operating a simple gas cap. I am sorry.

Apology accepted, LOL.:cheers:

Back