My Brother Cut His Knee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We just took down some pines for a friend at his new house, and were cutting the stumps low when it happened. He was squating down and the saw kicked out of the cut causing him to loose his balance and put his knee down on the slowing chain.

My buddy's mom is a nurse show she ran him to the ER, when he got backed hopped up on med's we had the job done.

Luckily he missed everything that would have required surgery. Not fun, nonetheless.

He wasn't wearing chaps, and said that the way it happened it wouldn't have mattered, I am not sure.

Here is his knee stitched up.
DSCN1077.jpg

Should have been wearing the industry requirement PPE called CHAPS or Chainsaw trousers. :givebeer:

Chaps a plus

Saw Chaps are like a seatbelt or hardhat.

They are certainly not a guarantee of complete protection.
Just a really good idea.

Taking the latitude that because his cuts were not extensive I'm gonna say without further evidence that chaps would very probably have done this job.

-------------------

A cost analysis:

Cost of medical care and transportation to and from hospital
Minus the cost of chaps
= priceless if he learned from it.

Of course there are other factors. Drugs provided versus street drugs - considering both the high and low generated and cost comparisons. Also blood utilized as fertilizer. Wound utilization in beach scenarios for 'dates'.
He did get out of work and that for some is a good reason to not control a saw.

All the best and are you familiar with the two tree length safety distance when falling?

I'd suggest a three bar length from him when he is cutting.

-------------------

For the good of the order, what caused the kickback?
Bar tip violation or a closing cut?

Glad he is alright. I have an MS361 on order and have been running a John Deere for awhile. I would like to get the best chaps I can since they are cheap insurance. I have a 36" waist and 36" inseam. Can anyone provide a link to good chaps? I have looked at Stihl but wondered if there is anything better. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that, Nails. Glad he's all right. Amazing to see that even the old hats at tree work still have to watch out. This is a good little reminder to all of us to pay more attention all the time.

Glad he is alright. I have an MS361 on order and have been running a John Deere for awhile. I would like to get the best chaps I can since they are cheap insurance. I have a 36" waist and 36" inseam. Can anyone provide a link to good chaps? I have looked at Stihl but wondered if there is anything better. Thanks.

Check out Labonville. Excellent quality, excellent service, AS sponsor, and 10% off if you order on line. (Check particulars for the sale under Labonville in the sponsor forums.)

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=14

:chainsaw:

Thanks Urbicide. I just ordered a set of green full wrap chaps and the helmet system. Now I'm set for my saws arrival. 10% off is also nice.

No problem.:cheers:

One thing to mention. Did you measure from your belt line to the top of your boots? If you order your normal inseam as a length for your chaps you will find that they are a bit short! If you have any question on this give the girls a call at Labonville and they can make a correction before the chaps ship (which is very quick).

I did notice that in their instructions. I am 42" but went with the 44" pair as I figured long is better than short. I can't wait for my saw to arrive!!!

Nails, I hope your brother get along well; into the bone is it?
Anyway this accident didn't happen because a not wearing chaps but you guys should be wearing something. Kneepads!
kneepads enable you to rest your kness on the crap around the trunk when backcutting or just any low cutting. Being lower ( no squatting) keeps your weight in good place to control the saw. If the kickback accurred in this position your brother would/ should of had his hands in the proper position to deal with the kickback nicley.
Squatting is something people do in the woods for sure but doing so puts you extremly off balance and puts your legs in between you and the saw.
A good set a pads will enable you to move around the low big cuts quickly and effeciently and you can roll up to your feet quick to move out fast.
I never could get over those guys who walk up to a trunk with a big saw and bend at the waist to make a cut by the ground. Looks like that is asking for trouble too. Try the pads, you dad will think you are getting to spoiled.

Nails, I hope your brother get along well; into the bone is it?
Anyway this accident didn't happen because a not wearing chaps but you guys should be wearing something. Kneepads!
kneepads enable you to rest your kness on the crap around the trunk when backcutting or just any low cutting. Being lower ( no squatting) keeps your weight in good place to control the saw. If the kickback accurred in this position your brother would/ should of had his hands in the proper position to deal with the kickback nicley.
Squatting is something people do in the woods for sure but doing so puts you extremly off balance and puts your legs in between you and the saw.
A good set a pads will enable you to move around the low big cuts quickly and effeciently and you can roll up to your feet quick to move out fast.
I never could get over those guys who walk up to a trunk with a big saw and bend at the waist to make a cut by the ground. Looks like that is asking for trouble too. Try the pads, you dad will think you are getting to spoiled.

Nope. Never put your knees on the ground. You need to be on your feet so that you can get away clean and quick if something goes wrong.

Never put your knees on the ground. You need to be on your feet so that you can get away clean and quick if something goes wrong.

Even for ALAPing a stump? :confused:

----

Like smokechase II, I'm also interested in more details of the kickback cause.

Should have been wearing the industry requirement PPE called CHAPS or Chainsaw trousers. :givebeer:

I have a couple pair , brand new never worn. I will try them on tommrow cause now I even wear my seatbelt these days but today I took some trees down and didn't wear my hat just cause I knew I would just fine. The only reason being I KNEW I would be fine... and I was, fine.
I don't know, sometimes I think I only need the seatbelt cause of the OTHER people. Hell I can see where I am going, I ain't going hit anything !

Even for ALAPing a stump? :confused:

----

Like smokechase II, I'm also interested in more details of the kickback cause.

Not sure ALAPing a stump means but if your just taking off the final chunk or two it doesn't matter, but whenever there's a chance of something coming at my head from above I'm up on my toes.

Nope. Never put your knees on the ground. You need to be on your feet so that you can get away clean and quick if something goes wrong.

I understand that not everbody is as able to roll up from my kness and run as fast as I can... But then again I am amongst only the mortal.
Come on where did you hear that rule you just quoted. Its part of the job- be a ninja! I love to make a notch close to the ground and for tons of reasons. And cutting stumps down? You are safer when comfortable and in control.
Not to totally say SQUATTING is never good but it does put your meat between you and the saw and a jolt could toss you down or pull you forward. Just keep the saw at what level you can control it is key here. Squatting and cutting below your torso make you wrist bend and the brake unattended.
So with that Nails, How was he holding the saw? And please describe the whole thing in as much detail for good reference. I am so glad your boy can walk, you must be too.

Last edited:
Not sure ALAPing a stump means but if your just taking off the final chunk or two it doesn't matter, but whenever there's a chance of something coming at my head from above I'm up on my toes.

ALAP = As Low As Possible. From the OP's first post, I interpreted that his brother was low-cutting a stump after it had been felled already:

Nailsbeats said:
We just took down some pines for a friend at his new house, and were cutting the stumps low

Last edited:
ALAP = As Low As Possible. From the OP's first post, I interpreted that his brother was low-cutting a stump after it had been felled already:

Didn't catch that, in that case I don't see an issue. Only when felling, which was something my old boss told me the day he got back from the GOL course.

Didn't catch that, in that case I don't see an issue. Only when felling, which was something my old boss told me the day he got back from the GOL course.

Yes there are many variables to every senerio.
I would not be on my knees felling big sticks in the canopy, and I might make cuts at a level siutable for standing
But when I want to fell a big bare trunk with as less impact and as much control as possible I am on my knees. sounds like a queff sometimes they go so gentle.
I was just being a smart as about the ' mortal' thing. truth is I am scared. That is why I stay in the right place to operate the saw. Catch me in a situation where hitting the break and running ain't easy, I dare ya. MOOOOOMMMIE! That's what I would scream.

I have a couple pair , brand new never worn. I will try them on tomorrow cause now I even wear my seatbelt these days but today I took some trees down and didn't wear my hat just cause I knew I would just fine. The only reason being I KNEW I would be fine... and I was, fine.
I don't know, sometimes I think I only need the seat belt cause of the OTHER people. Hell I can see where I am going, I ain't going hit anything !
Yes I know what you are saying. Unfortanetly, it only takes once, for some Bozo to run a stop sign, or traffic light, to make you wish you had your seat belt on.
Once for a miscalculation when falling a tree, Unseen object to fall out of the tree you are cutting down or a neighbouring tree. Just takes once for a good bump on the old Mellon, to make you wish you had on your hard hat system.
I know everybody tries to work safe when operating Chain Saws. The unthinkable things do happen. Even beyond our control. Worrying about something after it happens, is too late to do something about it.
Everyone who works with these machines, remember one thing. Life Is Just A Little While.
Thanks. Bruce.

We just took down some pines for a friend at his new house, and were cutting the stumps low when it happened. He was squating down and the saw kicked out of the cut causing him to loose his balance and put his knee down on the slowing chain.

My buddy's mom is a nurse show she ran him to the ER, when he got backed hopped up on med's we had the job done.

Luckily he missed everything that would have required surgery. Not fun, nonetheless.

He wasn't wearing chaps, and said that the way it happened it wouldn't have mattered, I am not sure.

Here is his knee stitched up.
DSCN1077.jpg
I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. It sure could have been worse. He could have hit an artery, and it could have been all over him, lost his knee cap, or even his leg. Happy to see that it was minor, with stitches. Hope he has a speedy recovery.
Bruce.

Latest posts

Back