my cad story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan in AR

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I never owned a chainsaw until recently. I would always borrow my dad's 026. My dad was killed several years ago in an accident cleaning up after a large ice storm. After he was gone, I just kept borrowing his saw, using it when I needed and putting it back when I was done. I never really took ownership or care of it, just treated it like he was going to clean the air filter or sharpen the chain. I would leave mix in it for months and just start it when I needed to. After almost three years of this kind of use with no upkeep the saw started giving me trouble. (imagine that). I still kept trying to use it even though it wasn't working right. When I took it to the dealer, found out that it needed an overhaul. I told them to go ahead and do it. Now, my dad had also given me a poulan 2150 shortly before he died. (probably because he was tired of me borrowing his) When I took the stihl in, I also bought a primer bulb so I could repair the poulan while the stihl was in the shop. I never really liked the poulan much, but I needed a saw so I repaired it. I liked that. Then, I noticed my dad's old saw, an olympic 251. put fresh mix in it, but it wouldn't run right. I did some looking and found that the coil ground wire had a bare spot and was grounding out. After a piece of electrical tape and a running saw from when I was a kid, I was hooked. I then went and looked at my grandad's old saws. Fixed the same problem on a homelite super ez ao. Now I am finishing up on grandad's powermac 310. This is a very frustrating saw to work on. Carb kit, fuel line, coil, repair all of the plastic parts I broke taking it apart, and now it's not oiling. Oiler is in the mail. I only have one more saw to work on, another poulan 2150 from grandad. the Saw only has 90lbs compression. I found an aftermarket piston and cylinder kit for sixty bucks. It's next on my list. I don't need another poulan 2150, but I still want to fix this one. What will I do when they are all working right? I think I might need a saw that will run a longer bar. Thanks -Morgan

You need a 3120 Husky now. Don't let the Stihl guys talk you out of it. Better start building that shed also. Your gonna need a dry place for the carcuses.

Good job on fixing your dad's saw. I lost my dad five years ago. When I am using some of the tools of his, I just feel a connection to him. I know it's sappy, but it's how I feel. I would have snickered at anyone who made such a comment bf, but now I understand these special attachments. Keep it up, use it when needed, and repair it as long as there are parts available!

Latest posts

Back