My Chain Saw Vise Gripper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to make this invention for a few reasons. First, there are times when I want to work on parts of a saw without removing the bar and chain. Second, the saw slides around lots of times when I want it to hold still. Third, I occasionally like to do sharpening with the chain on the bar and that means the second reason applies as well. So, my objective was to build a couple of jaws that grabbed the bar only, held the body of the saw in place and allowed the chain to move freely. In addition, I wanted the saw's body to be supported rather than suspended in mid-air as it would be if a typical mechanics vice was used instead.

The solution was to make a pair of 1 x 8 wooden jaws, loosely hinged at the bottom and with offset pads that allowed the chain to slide above and below them:

The "hinges" are simply two carriage bolts with lock nuts. The hole on the lock nut side is oversized to allow for the movement apart at the top. A pair of springs in blind holes holds the jaws open to make it easy to slide the bar in. I added a horizontal platform on one side to support the saw's body:

The platform for the saw body is only 1/2" thick, but it could have been thicker, and I kind of wish it was another inch or two longer. Regardless, here it is in action with my Stihl 028, securely clamped in place by my Woodworker's vise:

It's rather versatile, and here it is clamped with the saw pointed the other way:

So, you can work on either side of the saw, and it will not move around as you work. When you open the bench vise, the saw lifts out while the vise clamps and the platform remain intact. About the hardest part of making this was to taper the pads so they were dead flat when clamped and making contact with the bar. That insured maximum holding power.

I thought file sharpeners and Timberline users just might find this rather helpful, but remember that the intake, exhaust, ignition, and pull cord parts can be worked on with the bar and chain in place as well. And, you could also use it with a machinist vise. So, Forum, WDYT?

Pretty clever and well thought out! I am impressed. I like how the clamping feature is not also asked to do support-the-powerhead duty, also. Well designed!
Thank you. Not supporting the power head by the bar really helps with the big saws. Even though I should have added a little to the platform's length, I have successfully used this gripper with my MS 660.

I might add also that any taper to the clamp pads can be eliminated if you make the thickness of the lower pivot hinge bar exactly equal to the thickness of the two pads plus the thickness of the typical bar. The mating will then be dead flat across the pads when they close onto the bar.

I like it.

Saw is clamped in place by vise pressure? What if in V.2 you used a dowel cut in half, and maybe covered with a thin layer of rubber for the gripping pads?

Philbert
Well, the fat dowel may not give you the holding power that the flat pads can. See my note above. If the two pad thicknesses + bar thickness = bottom pivot thickness, the pads will squeeze dead flat and hold like iron. Believe me, the vise jaws will exert enormous pressure on the bar.

Was just thinking that you might have different bars of different thicknesses. Round profile would 'self adjust'.

Your pads would probably still hold thinner bars plenty tight.

Philbert

Was just thinking that you might have different bars of different thicknesses. Round profile would 'self adjust'.

Your pads would probably still hold thinner bars plenty tight.

Philbert
Well, I'm not sure if the bar thickness varies that much from saw to saw (+/- 1/64"?). The pads shown here could be reduced in width from 1-1/4" down to 1" or even 7/8" and that might be advisable because bar width does vary substantially. I selected a happy medium for the distance from the top of the pads to the platform surface. The idea was to make sure that the big saws were taken care of. You can always place a board shim under the lighter saws so that the chain remains free to move.

Latest posts

Back