My Chain Sharpening Tutorial

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idk. But it explains why my files go to crap so fast.
No, it doesn't. While it will have an effect, it's very minuscule.
Buy good quality files and toss them when they don't work like a new file, if you get a couple extra strokes out of them because you don't drag them you'll be lucky. It's just not that big of a deal. It looked like you had some good equipment, but even so, sometimes I toss a file after only sharpening a chain a couple times. Grinders can save money on files, especially when it comes to rocked chains, but since I typically run them until they are worn out and sharpen in the field, I rarely grind for myself.

Yep. Gotta start somewhere I guess.
He'll be way ahead of others when he gets older though.

Yeah he'll learn a lot as people critique his techniques here at the site.

Not so good though for people watching YouTube videos to learn about a subject.

It's a basic tutorial.
But you don't cover the most important basics, like what a well sharpened cutter actually looks like (both full & semi chisel), angles (top plate, filing, cutting, etc), how the rakers should be filed depending on what you're cutting & what a properly filed raker looks like. Explaining common issues, how they relate to poor cutting & showing how to correct them would be far more useful than introducing a bunch of gadgets that you don’t use & sharpening in a manner that doesn't actually show what effect you're having on the cutter as you sharpen it

But you don't cover the most important basics, like what a well sharpened cutter actually looks like (both full & semi chisel), angles (top plate, filing, cutting, etc), how the rakers should be filed depending on what you're cutting & what a properly filed raker looks like. Explaining common issues, how they relate to poor cutting & showing how to correct them would be far more useful than introducing a bunch of gadgets that you don’t use & sharpening in a manner that doesn't actually show what effect you're having on the cutter as you sharpen it
Exactly.
before you start telling people how to do something, make sure you know and understand what your doing.
Yep.
It's a basic tutorial.
Unfortunately you didn't describe the technical terms properly, at that point you've already mis-informed people and wasted their time.

Latest posts

Back