My Chinese 365XP copies...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
As some of you would know I have imported a few Chinese saws to take a look at and to use as test beds for the big bore kits I'm importing.
There was a Stihl 070 and Stihl "066" from the same manufacturer that arrived. Quality was crap. In fact the "066" is actually an MS380/038 with 066 badges on it! This was not the fault of my supplier but his supplier pulling the wool over his eyes.
Not necessarily money wasted however I have made it clear that I never want saws from that company again.
However the two 365 copies that arrived are certainly worth a look and a thread.

Now before any people jump on their high horse and get their panties in a knot about me buying Chinese copies and supporting the evil asian foe I need to make something quite clear - before flaming me, ask yourself this...

How much have you spent on non Chinese chainsaw related gear in the last 12 months? If you think you've spent more than me on both a personal and business level then feel free to comment negatively. If not then either read the thread and enjoy it or go and read another thread. I've done more to support the real chainsaw industry than most...

Anyway, first thing was a broken brake handle on one of the saws. This was due to poor packaging and an absolute beating by TNT during transit. I had to send photos to my supplier who is taking up a case with TNT. The broken handle will be replaced for free.
Both saws fired up easily however both were tuned very very rich. They were only turning about 10,000rpm. After leaning them out a little they are both pulling around 11,800rpm. Still slightly rich but OK for now. They both came with a 20" laminated 3/8" .058" bar and Carlton Full Chisel chain. If the chain is a copy I cannot tell - apparently it is "genuine" and to be honest I'd tend to agree but you can never be sure. The saw that has hit wood cuts very well - surprisingly so! Particularly in the piece of rock hard Casuarina I tried it in.

One of the saws is heading straight off to a mate as a part trade on a near new 40' ladder for tree work. It will come in handy and he's selling me the ladder for about half price. The other saw will probably end up with Al (AUSSIE1) to have a play with. The aim is to stick a ported 372XP BB kit on that saw however I am not sure whether the carby will handle it. It may either need to be rejetted or replaced - not sure.
I decided to pull the remaining 365 down after work to take a sneaky peak and get some photos. All in all the quality is very good. The cylinder and piston finish was excellent. The only part where fit is a bit poor (on both saws) is the filter cover. OK but not brilliant. Remember that I've never had anything to do with a genuine 365 either so the guys here that have may pick differences immediately.

Anyway...

DSCF1453.jpg

DSCF1452.jpg

DSCF1454.jpg

DSCF1455.jpg

DSCF1457.jpg

DSCF1456.jpg

DSCF1458.jpg

DSCF1459.jpg

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1461.jpg

DSCF1465.jpg

DSCF1466.jpg

DSCF1464.jpg

Now I didn't plan on pulling the flywheel off but unfortunately I dropped one of the cylinder bolts down behind there and it stuck to the back of the flywheel due to the magnets. Impossible to get to. The brown part up the cylinder is actually gasket sealant from me. The squish was enormous prior to removing the base gasket with stock compression around 135psi. Now the squish is .035" but I haven't rechecked compression yet. Also, the cylinders have "ITALY" stamped on them! Yeah, sure...

DSCF1467.jpg

DSCF1468.jpg

Video is uploading...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Last edited:
other than the carb, and stickers it looks pretty close to the huskys.:chainsawguy:

How well does it cut?

The one I ran in wood cut really well and actually surprised me. Not because it cut well but because it cut well in some the hardest wood you'd find.
I have run very few saws in the 65cc class but with a 20" bar buried it cut far better than I ever would have anticipated. Once the video uploads (still 2 1/2 hours away :( ) you'll see what I mean and the piece of wood in the video is nasty.

Last edited:
I'm shocked, it does not look any different than my 365. I'm sure the grade of materials used in construction is of lesser quality. It would be intersting to compaire the copy to the real thing in an abuse situation. Like being dropped, getting the bar pinched, bouncing around in the back of a truck, having a log roll onto it, just to see how it would hold together. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they do in the real work world.
Jim

I'm shocked, it does not look any different than my 365. I'm sure the grade of materials used in construction is of lesser quality. It would be intersting to compaire the copy to the real thing in an abuse situation. Like being dropped, getting the bar pinched, bouncing around in the back of a truck, having a log roll onto it, just to see how it would hold together. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they do in the real work world.
Jim

Hi Jim.
I have no doubt the grade of plastic etc is inferior. Whether it's enough for the average user to tell I'm not sure but I'll be honest, if I was going out into the woods with either saw for the day, it would be a genuine 365XP :)
However if I only had $450 to spend on a saw bought in Australia one of these would probably be it. Time will tell :cheers:
Remember that a genuine 365XP in Australia will set you back the equivalent of about USD$1300!!!

Last edited:
For a homeowner it's probably one hell of a saw for $450AU.

Unless it blows up :D
To put it into perspective a 38cc Poulan with a 16" bar and 3/8"LP chain will set you back about the AUD$300 mark or slightly higher.
From a business profit point of view (for my own personal business) I make more money out of importing genuine Stihl/Dolmar/Husky saws from the US and reselling them. However saws like this do have a place.

Looks pretty good to me. I wonder what they would sell for in the states? Would make a great bucket saw or a saw you don’t need to be too concerned about getting damaged. Would also make a great “the loaner” for the brother in law.

Looks pretty good to me. I wonder what they would sell for in the states? Would make a great bucket saw or a saw you don’t need to be too concerned about getting damaged. Would also make a great “the loaner” for the brother in law.

My loaner saw for my BIL is a 10-10 with no recoil on either side.

Heh heh. My thoughts exactly. These saws have "loaner" written all over them :)
I buy these saws in US dollars and I would expect them to sell for around the USD$400-450 mark, similar to Australia. It depends how confident the importer/seller is with them and whether they expect a lot of warranty complaints or returns.
If anybody is really really keen I can certainly get them sent direct to the states from China however I'd rather not just in case you get a bad one. I'm a long way away :)

Also the Stihl "066" came with a 30" bar and "Stihl" RMC 3/8" .063" chain. Now I know for sure this chain is a forgery but I cannot for the life of me tell that's it's not genuine Stihl. Even the rivets are tight as a fishes' bum. I'm sure in wood I'd notice but the copying accuracy is unbelievable.

MCW, Looks better than this one. It is only a matter of time, they will catch up sooner or later unfortunately. Amazing how they can copy things so close. Material quality will be the deciding factor.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9MK1c5bC4aQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9MK1c5bC4aQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hi Jim.
I have no doubt the grade of plastic etc is inferior. Whether it's enough for the average user to tell I'm not sure but I'll be honest, if I was going out into the woods with either saw for the day, it would be a genuine 365XP :)
However if I only had $450 to spend on a saw bought in Australia one of these would probably be it. Time will tell :cheers:
Remember that a genuine 365XP in Australia will set you back the equivalent of about USD$1300!!!

Just a small detail - The Husky 365 is not an XP.....;)

Maybe Husky has set up shop in China now.
Or maybe this is where Huskys come from and
Husky just puts their own stickers on them..................I just had to :)

But really, am kind of intrigued but kinda ticked off about it also.

It doesn't bother me as much if it's a saw that hasn't been made
for 20 years and you can't get OEM parts for it. But to copy and sell a saw
that is in production is wrong. Now if China wants to do this and keep
them in there country thats ok by me.

I do try not to buy anything made in China but it's almost imposable to do anymore. I'm not a union guy as the unions and Bill are why every thing is
now made in China and Mexico.

But as time goes China will get better and better at copying every thing.
And unless some laws are in-forced it will hurt the Co. that spent
all kinds of money for RD.

TT

Heh heh. My thoughts exactly. These saws have "loaner" written all over them :)
I buy these saws in US dollars and I would expect them to sell for around the USD$400-450 mark, similar to Australia. It depends how confident the importer/seller is with them and whether they expect a lot of warranty complaints or returns.
If anybody is really really keen I can certainly get them sent direct to the states from China however I'd rather not just in case you get a bad one. I'm a long way away :)

Also the Stihl "066" came with a 30" bar and "Stihl" RMC 3/8" .063" chain. Now I know for sure this chain is a forgery but I cannot for the life of me tell that's it's not genuine Stihl. Even the rivets are tight as a fishes' bum. I'm sure in wood I'd notice but the copying accuracy is unbelievable.

I think $450 would be a tough sell in the states. We can get the Makita dsc-6401 for $490. German built, proven quality and parts o plenty. I would think the price point would need to be closer to the $300-$350 point to get folks interested in them but I could be wrong.

I think $450 would be a tough sell in the states. We can get the Makita dsc-6401 for $490. German built, proven quality and parts o plenty. I would think the price point would need to be closer to the $300-$350 point to get folks interested in them but I could be wrong.

Not sure on the exchange rate but 200ish would be close right?

Latest posts

Back