My e-bay DSC6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTK

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here's my e bay 6401 story.
I found a good deal on e-bay for this saw and figured I would eventually do the upgrade (BB kit), how bad could it be......... just be careful what ya buy on e-bay, you never know what you will get even if the pictures and description are good.

After receiving the saw I found it needed a couple of oil pump related parts because it leaked like an old B-52 bomber. One of the AV mounts was toast and it had a broken bolt on the start cover.
I ran the saw last year a few times after fixing and found it a little lacking in power but the pictures on e-bay showed no noticeable damage to the piston, when I removed the cylinder off I found scoring on the intake side of the piston. The cylinder was OK, and I had bought the saw with the intention of upgrading anyway, besides I already replaced all the worn/broken parts.

I ordered the BB kit from Baileys. When I received it the cylinder had a rough area at the top of the cylinder, they gave me credit and were going to send out a shipping label to return it with the new cylinder. Not wanting to have trouble with another after market cylinder I ended up ordering an original BB cylinder. Coincidentally I had my saw at work to cut down a walnut tree behind my store when the cylinder arrived, have both in the same place at the same time (well you know what happens) I decide to do the swap at my store. All I had was a torx screw driver, pliers, regular screw drive and that do-hicky that came with the saw. Thirty minutes later I had it apart and all back together again. Every thing fit perfect, aligned exactly and there were no problems what so ever completing the swap. Went out back and cut up all the pieces of wood over again just to run it:)

The saw has great throttle response and seemed like gobs of torque, at least compared to the other cylinder piston combo. I think I will be very happy with the power and weight of this 80cc sized saw. I do have to admit that after toting it around in an orchard last week it got pretty heavy after an hour and I went back to my little 40cc saw.....
Later I will check the squish and maybe remove the base gasket and do a little porting. By the way, new cylinder is closed port where the original was open port

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Back