my experience with stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to point out,there is a 1/8" gap around the bar sprocket on the end of the bar. None of my other saws have a gap in this area.

There is supposed to be a small gap between the tie straps on the chain and the nose of the bar, on a sprocket nose bar. This is how the sprocket reduces friction, compared to a hard nosed bar. When the gap is gone, it is technically time to replace the sprocket, tip, or bar (depending upon the manufacturer and model of the bar).

attachment.php

That aside, it does not sound like you are getting the type of service from your dealer that STIHL claims that they offer. I would contact your regional STIHL distributor and ask to discuss your concerns with them.

Distributor and Branch Directory | STIHL USA Mobile

Philbert

Sorry for your issues, as others have mentioned it appears the your chain is not matched to your bar and or sprocket. You problem is not with Stihl, but with the dealer (who based on the information given is doing a less than stellar job).

Last edited:
I doubt stihl sells 72 DL loops in 61 PMMN. Maybe the dealer looped it from a roll? If it truly has this chain installed, I doubt the kerf would be wide enough to allow the bar through the cut. It does sound like there is a problem with the bar and chain interface. I'll bet that with 1.5 gallons of fuel through the saw with PMMN chain on a standard 3/8 drive spur and bar the bar, chain, and spur would be junk.

Instead of bothering with a video, put up instead good photos of the chain {off the bar} so we can see the numbers and the boogered up drive tangs.

A pic of the sprocket/rim.

A pic of the bar.

Instead of bothering with a video, put up instead good photos of the chain {off the bar} so we can see the numbers and the boogered up drive tangs.

A pic of the sprocket/rim.

A pic of the bar.

Also a pic of you holding up the chain at the spot of the green tiestrap.

No but if you buy a WHOLE NEW SAW, the dealer should get it all set up for you before he sends you out the door with it.

I agree 100%

But what keeps someone from swapping chains?
He did mention in his OP that he picked up a spare chain.
Obviously 3/8LP(Picco) looked "normal" on a 391 to both the dealer and OP even though that's not even an option.
IDK....but that would stick out like a hard0n in church for me.
If in fact that is the problem.....

I'm willing to bet that this is a Bar/Chain Gauge Mismatch.

Either that or the bar groove came "Pre Pinched"

Last edited:
It could be a chain gauge issue, or it could be that the O.P. dulled the crap out of the chain, and kept pushing. With enough heat, the pivot points of the chain will seize up. I am also curious as to just how tight the chain is getting adjusted. I would be willing to bet that we are in the same neighborhood as "banjo string."

It could be a chain gauge issue, or it could be that the O.P. dulled the crap out of the chain, and kept pushing. With enough heat, the pivot points of the chain will seize up. I am also curious as to just how tight the chain is getting adjusted. I would be willing to bet that we are in the same neighborhood as "banjo string."

yeah, pics...

Latest posts

Back