my experience with stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just me but I don't think we are talking to a newbie in this case. He has been heating his home with split wood for 2 yrs. Surely he not failed to sharpen a chain in 2 yrs or at least recognize a dull one. Something is amiss here. I don't think even an "incompetent" dealer could fail to recognize a chain in that shape.

I've known guys doin this for fifteen years that still can't sharpen a chain worth a dam. There's the guy with fifteen years experience, and the guy with one year of experience fifteen times over. The fact that the op posts a pic of a chain like that and is still wondering why his bar is smoking and blaming it on the dealer says it all for me.

... Off to have a baby.

I guess that we'll be seeing you in the news?

Make sure that you have new baby, not an old one. I always get a laugh when people say "How cute, you have new baby!"; I'd love to hear the parent(s) say "Yes, the hospital was out of old babies."

BOT--Some customers are dumbasses, some dealerships employ dumbasses and have dumbass policies. Sometimes all three meet.

Me too. I have been the guy behind the counter more than once when "that guy" brings the saw back.

FYI, someone suggested calling Stihl in order to get some satisfaction, and then the dealer would be sorry....... I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Stihl can call us all they want at the dealership. They cannot punish us, or make us do anything. They are always quite professional and interested in customer satisfaction at all cost. The issue is always what we can do as a team to make the person happy and willing to buy another Stihl product. They are not, however, afraid to deny claims should it be warranted. 95% of the time they back us up on whatever we want to do, even in customer abuse cases or out of warranty. That dealer is probably a dud, but let's be realistic and realize that there at two sides to this story. Remember that very few dealers actually have folks employed by Stihl working for them. We are customers also, in that we buy items from Stihl to re-sell in our store. I promise you that most dealerships will buy more Stihl products in one week than the O.P. will in his entire life.

I get a kick out of the clowns that threaten to call Stihl on us. I tell them to do it. They stutter step and sometimes they actually do send an email or phone call. All that happens is, Stihl calls us to ask what happened because it's protocol. When we explain what happened, we have a laugh at the clowns' expense and say goodbye. We are not a franchise. We are independent and we can run our business however we want. Get it through your heads, all you knuckleheads, entitled clowns out there. You cannot dictate my house!

I get a kick out of the clowns that threaten to call Stihl on us. I tell them to do it. They stutter step and sometimes they actually do send an email or phone call. All that happens is, Stihl calls us to ask what happened because it's protocol. When we explain what happened, we have a laugh at the clowns' expense and say goodbye. We are not a franchise. We are independent and we can run our business however we want. Get it through your heads, all you knuckleheads, entitled clowns out there. You cannot dictate my house!

one more outburst like that young man, and i'm calling stihl on your ass !!!!!

I guess that we'll be seeing you in the news?

Make sure that you have new baby, not an old one. I always get a laugh when people say "How cute, you have new baby!"; I'd love to hear the parent(s) say "Yes, the hospital was out of old babies."

BOT--Some customers are dumbasses, some dealerships employ dumbasses and have dumbass policies. Sometimes all three meet.

Nothing like a dealer(of anything)with an attitude.Unless this guy(OP) comes in waving his arms,foaming at the mouth and MFing everything in sight he deserves proper service.That's what you expect when you buy Stihl,John Deere,BMW,Honda or any other "premium" product.A big part of why all my farm equipment is red is because of the nearest JD dealerships tone.

Well, if you consider customers to be clowns, I don't see how you stay in business.

I happen to live near two very good dealers, and I don't get treated like a clown. The one that works on my saws does like to see the bling on them.

Well, if you consider customers to be clowns, I don't see how you stay in business.

I happen to live near two very good dealers, and I don't get treated like a clown. The one that works on my saws does like to see the bling on them.

You get treated how you treat us. If you come in with common decency, there will be no problems. We will not tolerate jerk offs.

Well I went and saw another dealer today and bought a new chain and a gallon of the orange bottle bar oil. chain number: 33rs72

I explained to him what had happened after the first use and he was almost clueless and kept referring back to the dull chain I brought in on my saw. I told him the day after I used the saw I brought it in to another place and they said nothing was wrong. Then and now are 2 different things. if it was their way to get me out the door and USE UP all the evidence there is no issue they see now because its USED.

I am just gonna drop this issue but I am still very upset and dissapointed with the experience and honestly I don't think I will buy another stihl because of it. I have no issues with other companies that I have requested feedback from, but this is a first. Snap on tools customer support will take my word that my drawer is hard to open on my toolbox. The remedy, send me replacement slides to fix the issue. I am happy and they are happy. I will continue to buy from them.

Thanks. We'll all remember that.

That's why I don't buy Stihl products. I understand there are plenty of case's where the customers are less than intelligent but often times that's taken advantage of by the dealers of any brand. Stihl dealer's around here are just better at it

That's why I don't buy Stihl products. I understand there are plenty of case's where the customers are less than intelligent but often times that's taken advantage of by the dealers of any brand. Stihl dealer's around here are just better at it

What does that have to do with Stihl? This is just business philosophies. If you, gologit and slowp came into my shop and were decent people. In the future visits, I'd greet you with a cup of freshly brewed coffee in the morning, and a bottle of cold beer towards closing. I think you misunderstood what I was ranting about. I don't have any sympathy for entitled idiots that come into an establishment disrespecting the shop owner, then threatening to call Stihl or whatever manufacturer like it's going to affect someone. But for the rest, I treat them with the utmost respect as any person should, if given the same respect.

Well I went and saw another dealer today and bought a new chain and a gallon of the orange bottle bar oil. chain number: 33rs72

I explained to him what had happened after the first use and he was almost clueless and kept referring back to the dull chain I brought in on my saw. I told him the day after I used the saw I brought it in to another place and they said nothing was wrong. Then and now are 2 different things. if it was their way to get me out the door and USE UP all the evidence there is no issue they see now because its USED.

Did you bring the saw or at least the numbers off the bar so the chain match is correct?

I say the same thing about the clowns on the other side off the counter . When I go into the dealer I k ow what I want or need and I usually have to find the part number because the dealer has know idea how to work on a saw or use common since.

What does that have to do with Stihl? This is just business philosophies. If you, gologit and slowp came into my shop and were decent people. In the future visits, I'd greet you with a cup of freshly brewed coffee in the morning, and a bottle of cold beer towards closing. I think you misunderstood what I was ranting about. I don't have any sympathy for entitled idiots that come into an establishment disrespecting the shop owner, then threatening to call Stihl or whatever manufacturer like it's going to affect someone. But for the rest, I treat them with the utmost respect as any person should, if given the same respect.

A lot of times the idiots don't know they're being idiots. Remember, they can't make you mad if you don't let them.

I say the same thing about the clowns on the other side off the counter . When I go into the dealer I k ow what I want or need and I usually have to find the part number because the dealer has know idea how to work on a saw or use common since.

Ya got that right. This can happen anywhere, including our place depending on who is working. I got to replace a B&C and sprocket on a 290 once due to the STORE OWNER putting 3/8 on there with a .325 sprocket. We ate the parts, and gave the guy a hat for the trouble.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from calling Stihl, or from trying to get some customer service. I just want to point out that calling big brother to come put the clamp on dealers is not the way to win. Stihl trusts us to be their eyes and ears in the field, as they cannot ship every unit back to the factory to evaluate. Conversely, being a closed-minded dealer is not going to work well either. We do many warranty claims for other dealers, and win customers in the process. I suggest being polite and asking questions from both sides of the counter. If that does not work, find another dealer and try again. There are lots of good ones out there.

To the op, maybe you have, had legitimate issues with the saw and the dealer, fine.
However the saw is a tool, you are the operator, the tool reacts to how you use or abuse it. Man up, own it.
Leaves more sthils saws for the rest of us.

I will give this suggestion to the dealers out there, let your counter guys know when a pro comes into your store, bear in mind he's probably put more hours on a saw in the last week than they have in the last year. Don't need starting advice, I already know what the problem is, and have probably rebuilt more saws than they've ever touched. Just get me my parts. And while I'm ranting, don't go bashing the other guys. I love my stihls, but I'm not gonna walk off the job cause a guy hands me a husky. I had a Stihl dealer start bashing husky when I came in to get a loop cut for a 372. I asked him if he'd ever put one to wood, and he admitted he'd never run a husky. Credibility was kind of gone at that point.

Well I went and saw another dealer today and bought a new chain and a gallon of the orange bottle bar oil. chain number: .

Let us know how the new chain works. We all want to know if it was the source of the smoking problem or if there is something else going on.

Sorry for your poor dealer experiences - a lot of people like that saw.

Philbert

Back