My Favorite Bar Cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
attachment.php

Nothing fancy - just a '5-in-1' painter's tool with the bottom 1/4 inch (chisel part) filed off.
But it works really well for scraping the crud out of the groove, especially in the field without an air compressor.
Still use a toothpick to clean out the oil hole.

By the way - buy the cheap ones; the better quality ones are too thick to fit into 0.050 grooves.

Philbert

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
....Buddhakat, maybe we're just having deja-vu? Oh wait, no we're not http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=88640

Sorry for the repetition. Also for the redundancy.

I follow the site fairly regularly, but didn't see that thread. Slightly embarrassing because it was just a day or 2 ago! But thanks for the link, it had some good ideas. I might try a sawzall blade as a compact version.

Philbert

stihl025

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Had some pine tar that was absolutely covering my 025 bar. Tried a few ideas (without resorting to gasoline) that didn't even touch the stuff. Sitting in front of my wood burner, cleaning the glass with cheap oven cleaner when the light bulb came on...

Best stuff I ever tried, dissolved it right off with scrubbing...

I, too, use the original groove cleaner, only because it came with my saw and I have never lost it, ironically.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I looked at the 'genuine' bar cleaners, but they were small to comfortably hold in my hand: maybe you are supposed to buy another file handle for them? Also, as I recall, they were too thick to fit into the smaller bar grooves (0.050).

I like the sawzall blade idea - simple and resourceful. When I checked my blades I found out that they not all the same thickness - some of them fit my 0.050 grooves and some were too thick. Appreciate the idea.

Philbert

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Product Ideas here! . . . .Hello???

See, this is what I don't get. A proven need. A simple product. HELLO STIHL, OREGON, A.S. SPONSOR TYPE COMPANIES, . . .

Why not make a simple bar groove cleaner, with a handle, that works better than the corner of a depth gauge tool? Make sizes to fit 0.043, 0.050, 0.058, 0.063. Heck, the whole set could be sold for under $5 and you can have your name all over it. Sized tools clean the grooves better. Don't make me improvise or have to file down one-size models you make.

The other 'no-brainer' I have asked reps for is a simple plastic disc, bright yellow or orange, about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter. On side has 'STIHL', or 'Oregon', or 'Bailey's' molded in, the other side has 'Mixed Fuel 50:1' molded in so that I can attach it to my mixed fuel cans. Hard core guys would put them on their key chains. Lots of visibility and free promotion for the company. People would pay for them, or they can be 'schwag' given out at trade shows and dealers. I have stamped out a few on brass key tags, but it's not as convenient.

I'm not in the business, but somebody will hopefully pick up on these (and send me some samples).

Philbert

Last edited:
stihl only

stihl only

ArboristSite Operative
See, this is what I don't get. A proven need. A simple product. HELLO STIHL, OREGON, A.S. SPONSOR TYPE COMPANIES, . . .

Why not make a simple bar groove cleaner, with a handle, that works better than the corner of a depth gauge tool? Make sizes to fit 0.043, 0.050, 0.058, 0.063. Heck, the whole set could be sold for under $5 and you can have your name all over it. Sized tools clean the grooves better. Don't make me improvise or have to file down one-size models you make.

The other 'no-brainer' I have asked reps for is a simple plastic disc, bright yellow or orange, about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter. On side has 'STIHL', or 'Oregon', or 'Bailey's' molded in, the other side has 'Mixed Fuel 50:1' molded in so that I can attach it to my mixed fuel cans. Hard core guys would put them on their key chains. Lots of visibility and free promotion for the company. People would pay for them, or they can be 'schwag' given out at trade shows and dealers. I have stamped out a few on brass key tags, but it's not as convenient.

I'm not in the business, but somebody will hopefully pick up on these (and send me some samples).

Philbert

You would have to give them away.

I actually had a guy look at a file gauge the other day, and then decided not to buy it when I gave him the price......................

Guess I should have pointed out that it doubled as a bar groove cleaner!!

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
You would have to give them away.
I actually had a guy look at a file gauge the other day, and then decided not to buy it when I gave him the price......................

That's my point - STIHL, Oregon, Husqvarna, etc. could afford to give them away as part of a promo thing. Free with a 6 pack of oil, or 3 chains, or for coming in to look at the new, improved . . . You can only wear one baseball hat at a time, so why not give away something useful that people will hang onto for a long time?

This thread just got a LOT better!
. . . JONSEREDFAN6069 came along with a FAR better idea...
(I get the distinct feeling that I missed something there . . . )

Philbert

Latest posts