My firewood getter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua mason

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally found me a new to me wood hauler. It is a 2002 chevy 2500hd with the 8.1l engine backed with the allison tranny. Yes it is a gas hog, 10mpg city and 12 highway but i love it. Im gonna tell ya the mileage on this truck but you probably wont believe me. It was at 6724 when i bought it, now a little over 8000. I didnt believe it at first either. Anyways here are some pics.
View attachment 245903View attachment 245904View attachment 245905View attachment 245906

THAT is one SLICK looking truck!!!!

Taken from WikiPedia;

"Also available is the Vortec 8100 V8 with 340 hp (254 kW) at 4200 rpm and 455 lb·ft (617 N·m) of torque at 3200 rpm"

That's a beast of an engine!

woodhauler.jpg

Sharp looking truck, and a good find with such low mileage. I wouldn't take it in the woods. I do
all my wood hauling with an old diesel SuperDuty and a flatbed trailer. It get's around 19 highway.

thanks fellas. as far as the story ive been told, an older couple had bought the truck new and used it to pull a camper a couple times a year and the rest of the time it was garage kept.

That is a nice looking truck. I wish that was my truck. Hard to believe the gas mileage is that bad.

I have been looking for a truck very similar to yours except maybe extended cab. All the trucks I have found in a reasonable price range have really high miles.

A hard cover for the bed and a cold air intake set-up will make the visits to the pump much less painful. The hardcover on my 02 Chevy 2500 6.0L got me almost 1 full mpg better, comes off pretty easy and makes for a handy lockable storage bay. I also added a roof rack from a suburban to the hard cover so I could put the bikes/kayaks on it for vacation and still have dry storage for everything else. The intake got me about the same mpg gains. Both add ons have certainly paid for themselves in under a year of driving.

Latest posts

Back