My first milling!! (finally)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally got a shot at milling. I spent most of the day wrestling with the setup and making the ladder I'm using for the first cut work the way I want (still have to tweak it some). I have my grandpa's tractor to help move logs and his yard (with plenty of room) to cut them in.

But finally, I got a shot at a short (6') piece of elm (just had this around - using it as practice to make sure I'm comfortable milling before moving on to walnut and cherry). Turned out to have some nice coloring and spalting inside. And people are right when they told me that turning over each slab is like opening a Christmas present. Unfortunately, I only got to take two slabs off (after the initial cut) as it was getting dark. But I'll be back at it tomorrow.

I'm soooo excited, and glad that I can finally call myself a miller (even though only a noobie).

--Tyler

First cut
firstcut.jpg

Surfaces
slab1.jpg

slab2.jpg

Yeah, it's loud, dirty, sweaty, heavy, hard work, but you feel really good when it's over and you have a cool stack of new boards.

Just like Christmas any day of the year. The upside is that it is cheaper than Christmas. If you check what the wood costs you, you can essentially pay off your saw and mill in a decent day's work. Scary.

Mark

:clap: :clap:

Great job, it's even easier with fresh logs, and, if you can raise one end of the log up 8-10" higher than the low end. That really makes it easier, the saw will go down the log by itself, practically.

Keep up the good work.

Very nice I like your ladder setup I really need to try using a ladder for the first cut. It is dirty and dusty but if you have just a tad more patience very rewarding!! I can't wait to do some more I am also new but been trying to get my work done for next year before I get to play (cutting firewood right now!!)) have built up a good stash to split but some of what I have cut up is killing me! You will never look at a tree the same!! FUN nice big saw you got there too!!

Well done and welcome aboard. :cheers:

I use the ladder also for first cuts but I'm thinking about a smaller set-up too. For smaller logs that is. I have several Tamerack (Eastern Larch) and Norway Pines that I've cut on my property and am making beams out of. The ladder is a bit unwieldy on these smaller logs. Maybe just a beam machine is the answer?

:cheers:

I love the old stihls......nice chainsaws. I have a 031AV and I'm thinking about getting something bigger anywhere from a 056-084. But I'm saving up for climbing gear right now.

Just a thought.....
A good idea to get more logs (I'm overly addicted) is to ask your local street department if you could scrounge through their piles....I've already picked up about 800+ BF this month from logs that were going to end up in the land fills. I'm also going to be running an ad in the local advertiser in about 2 weeks about removing trees in NON DANGEROUS LOCATIONS for free. I haven't even run the add yet and by word of mouth has already rewarded me with 5 pine logs (around 18" Diameter) and 2 apple logs (about 8-10"....kinda small....but hey :) ). Best of luck to ya.....careful though.....you might have to go to rehab if it gets to your head! Nice looking slabs! Christmas every day of the year!:cheers:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I definitely had fun doing this. The next day (yesterday) I milled the rest of that elm and then tackled a 9' cherry log (I'll have to post some pics later this evening).

Good suggestion on finding logs, burlhunter, but actually I have plenty to keep me busy for quite a while at my grandpa's. He's been stacking some nice logs for a few years (although some are rotten now) to eventually have milled. There's also tons of cherry and some walnut trees (among others) in the woods around his house that are either freshly fallen or should be taken down soon. So I think I have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

I have to say though, milling is quite a workout. I put in two 12 hour days of working (both milling and helping out around my grandpa's place). My body ached after that.

--Tyler

I have to say though, milling is quite a workout. I put in two 12 hour days of working (both milling and helping out around my grandpa's place). My body ached after that.

--Tyler

No doubt about that. :clap: Try the elevated process. It's a bit easier. I get my ladder set up properly, then jack the whole deal up onto 2 blocks with a notched log perpendicular too the milling log. This holds the log (in the notch) and allows me too use gravity and saw downhill.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I definitely had fun doing this. The next day (yesterday) I milled the rest of that elm and then tackled a 9' cherry log (I'll have to post some pics later this evening).

Good suggestion on finding logs, burlhunter, but actually I have plenty to keep me busy for quite a while at my grandpa's. He's been stacking some nice logs for a few years (although some are rotten now) to eventually have milled. There's also tons of cherry and some walnut trees (among others) in the woods around his house that are either freshly fallen or should be taken down soon. So I think I have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

--Tyler

I know what thats like! I'm brown now....sun got the best of me.
Today was my second 12 hour shift of milling, tomorrow will be my third lol. I've been running the band mill with my dad and we cut damn near our entire pile of logs at the house. I have 2 pine logs and 2 small walnuts left.....I can actually use my driveway for vehicles now lol. MOUNTAINS OF SAWDUST AND CUTOFFS hahahah! I hauled around 6 heaping wheel barrels of crap (mainly bark and sawdust) to the back yard and near a face chord of trimmed pieces from larger logs. Neighbors must love me (I cut two huge poop wood logs today (aka....boxelder lol) ).....tomorrow is going to be fun.....organizing all of this wood into clean piles. I need more logs to feed the addiction :)

:cheers:

Back