My first nail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavefreak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I hit a nail:

DSC_0121.jpg

This was on the last 18" on the last cut of my first milling project. The saw start making a noise like it was scraping leaves or bark or something. I checked underneath and it was clear so I tried a little more. When it didn't go away I checked the chain - duller than Forest Gump on Valium. The metal in the saw dust confirmed by suspicions.

Anyway, here's some more photos. This is the second stem from a 3 stem maple I had to take down. I'm pretty sure this would be firewood for most of you, but I figured learn on crap and know what I'm doing when I get to the good stuff.
DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

I started with a freehand cut so I would have a place to nail my guide board
DSC_0108.jpg

Guide board on ready to go
DSC_0111.jpg

First bug
DSC_0112.jpg

Bug damage
DSC_0113.jpg

Checking. I cut several inches off of each end to get rid of the checking.
DSC_0114.jpg

The rest of the story

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

The results. Not a lot of good stuff if your looking for width. But I'll find something to do with it.

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

Ouch!!!!

Hate hitting anything like that,,but you'll be suprised what people have hit besides nails...I cant remember which post I seen but some had a cable that was stuffed in a tree years ago,,and found it the hard way...
I'd cut away the bug part after you finished and save what I could...Be suprised what to can make with short lengths,,and seen alot of short pieces sold on fleabay.... Grain looks nice ............

I've always wanted to give this milling a try.
But with little room to store wood for drying and needing to make
a buck every time I start a saw, I just haven't tried it yet.

Busting up big wood to load by hand in a trailer, you can't cut that direction.
Just your noodling, which I even avoid if I can help it.

My question...Getting a rip chain makes that much of a difference does it?
I mean, does it cut down a log like that just as good an easy as cutting the
regular way, with a regular chain?

Do you take a regular chain and change the angle for ripping?
10 degrees I think I read somewhere in here.
Or do you buy ripping chains?
garfieldhangover.jpg

Hi Raymond..
I got my chains from Baileys,woodland pro,,and good price on them..Pretty good chains for the money....You can also make your own outta your reg. chain...I been grinding mine at 10 and 55 degrees....

I've always wanted to give this milling a try.
But with little room to store wood for drying and needing to make
a buck every time I start a saw, I just haven't tried it yet.
WARNING **** DANGER WILL ROBINSON **** DO NOT COMMENCE MILLING! ***** ONCE STARTED YOU WILL NEVER STOP ******

Busting up big wood to load by hand in a trailer, you can't cut that direction.
Just your noodling, which I even avoid if I can help it.
You can't noodle if your log is longer than your bar, CS milling is mostly cross fibre cutting which is the hardest cut of all.

My question...Getting a rip chain makes that much of a difference does it?
I mean, does it cut down a log like that just as good an easy as cutting the
regular way, with a regular chain?
Nope CS it's always slightly slower. Top plate has to cut through fibres which is harder than noodling and crosscutting. Ripping chain gives a smoother cut (so less defect removal on the thichnesser) and less vibe, but I find it slower than other cutting.

Do you take a regular chain and change the angle for ripping?
10 degrees I think I read somewhere in here.
Or do you buy ripping chains?
Most people would buy ripping chain but some take a regular chain and change the angle for ripping. Converting a chain is not required immediately just over successive sharpenings as the chain wears.

That sucks man, but welcome to the club! I cut clean through a 3/8" lag bolt with the heavy-duty .404 semi-chisel ripping chain on the 090 last November. It just rattled a bit and I was through before I knew what happened. There was no real damage to the chain, just minor dulling and a bunch of the teeth had pieces of the lag bolt friction-welded to them. Most of that just broke off with the needlenose pliers, and the rest got filed down in a couple passes. I'm just glad I didn't hit it with my 3/8" full-chisel or low-profile, it would have destroyed that stuff.

WARNING **** DANGER WILL ROBINSON **** DO NOT COMMENCE MILLING! ***** ONCE STARTED YOU WILL NEVER STOP ******

Ya think? After playing around with this Haddon jig and a 20" Solo 650, I found myself on the internet looking at the big iron and trying to decide what size Alaskan to get.

More power!!!!

Thanks fellas, I will be giving this a try this summer.
I usually hangout with the tree trimming group here but I
do sneak over and check you milling guys out sometimes.

Looks like alot of fun and cool matterial for projects. I wanna
do a set of cedar shelves, counters and cabinets for the kitchen.
Just for starters.
garfieldhangover.jpg

Latest posts

Back