My First Post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treblot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found this site looking for answers to my chainsaw problem, but I also like turning wood, although I do not presently have a decent lathe to work with. I have to get up for work very early in the morning and did not have time to search yet so I apologize if this is already discussed. I recently cut some beautiful eastern red cedar and am wondering if I should seal the ends of the logs and if so what to seal them with. I know they crack and it may be quite a while before I get to turn them.

I found this site looking for answers to my chainsaw problem, but I also like turning wood, although I do not presently have a decent lathe to work with. I have to get up for work very early in the morning and did not have time to search yet so I apologize if this is already discussed. I recently cut some beautiful eastern red cedar and am wondering if I should seal the ends of the logs and if so what to seal them with. I know they crack and it may be quite a while before I get to turn them.

I'm by no means an expert in this field but I have cut many turning blanks and had a bit of success preserving them. Also sold a few on ebay and recieved very good feedback from the buyers on the quality of the blanks. After doing my own bit of research I found that there are several ways of doing turnings. Some prefer solid as a rock completely cured blanks, where as others prefer to turn green, rough out the shape place them in wet brown paper sacks , or other aperatus for retarding the dry rate, and then finish when cured. AS to your specific question on preserving the blanks until you have the time to turn them you will definitely want to get those end sealed up. There are some end grain sealers on the market such as Anchorseal that will work great. Latex paint is used by many as well for end sealing a freshly cut sawlog. You can cut your blanks out into whatever shape you want them to be in rough form, on a bandsaw or similar, and then seal them in hot parafin wax. I used the last method to prepare blanks for sale and some i saved back in hopes that i will one day get a lathe and have the time to try it out for myself. The ones that I set back were sealed with wax when green and have since dried very nicely with minimal cracking or warping. Here's a couple of links that i can give you to checkout.

Firstly a thread I started about some of my blanks I was talking about...

A link about using end grain sealers for turning wood...

Well that's my .02 anyways hope it helps you out and welcome to AS treblot!

Wow thanks. That is beautiful wood. I will try some of the methods that you suggested. I actually have a homemade kiln that I used to dry western red cedar in. It drys really fast, but I believe old fashioned air drying is best. If you have never turned wood before, you are in for a real treat. I bought a $100 lathe from Harbor Freight just to see how I liked it and I am hooked. Now I just have to get a lathe that will handle the big stuff. I have considered old Powermatic's that were used in schools shops for $800. No bells or whistles but built like an anchor. Then there are the Nova's, Jets and Deltas. I can't afford one now, but I can sure get the wood ready!

Back