Huskee 22 Ton Engine Replacement Help...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mich3210

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good Afternoon! I have a Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter with a vertical shaft B&S engine that needs to be replaced. I'm having trouble sourcing a new one. I've called around and everyone tells me that I need to have an engine with a heavy flywheel for this type of application.

I've looked at the Harbor Freight 5.5 HP Predator engine listed here: https://www.harborfreight.com/engin...ohv-vertical-shaft-gas-engine-carb-69731.html

It has the correct shaft diameter and length, however it lacks a heavy flywheel. In addition, it has a Flywheel Brake that would need to be disabled, and I would need to rig up some kind of throttle cable.

What have others done in this situation?

Thanks!

6.5 ft lb of torque equals 4.5 horse power at 3600 rpm.

I don’t think you’ll need an engine with a heavy flywheel. Most times those engines are on push mowers and the heavy fly wheel will help it keep speed as it chops up a stick. With hydraulics, you don’t have the high load short duration situations. You should be fine with the harbor freight predator engine.

6.5 ft lb of torque equals 4.5 horse power at 3600 rpm.

I don’t think you’ll need an engine with a heavy flywheel. Most times those engines are on push mowers and the heavy fly wheel will help it keep speed as it chops up a stick. With hydraulics, you don’t have the high load short duration situations. You should be fine with the harbor freight predator engine.

Are you sure? According to Briggs & Stratton the engine on there now has a Heavy Flywheel as does the $400 replacement that is suggested for it, and Lawn Mower Engines do not...

Just put the harbor freight engine on it. It will be fine. There are hundreds if not thousands of those engines running log splitters out there. I’ve never heard anything about a hydraulic pump needing a special engine or heavy flywheel.

If you go with the vertical engine you will have to wire the brake open and figure out a way to shut it off. The brake is the shut off. I have one on a mower and I just use the primer bulb to flood it out. You could go old school and mount a ground tab near the plug to ground it out. The horizontal engine has no brake and has an on off switch.

There’s really no need for a throttle cable. Those engines are made to run at 3600 rpms and so are the hydraulics.

Just put the harbor freight engine on it. It will be fine. There are hundreds if not thousands of those engines running log splitters out there. I’ve never heard anything about a hydraulic pump needing a special engine or heavy flywheel.

If you go with the vertical engine you will have to wire the brake open and figure out a way to shut it off. The brake is the shut off. I have one on a mower and I just use the primer bulb to flood it out. You could go old school and mount a ground tab near the plug to ground it out. The horizontal engine has no brake and has an on off switch.

There’s really no need for a throttle cable. Those engines are made to run at 3600 rpms and so are the hydraulics.

Can't I use the brake to stop it if I wire it in a fashion that can easily be undone? Like a clip?

As for the throttle, are you suggesting I just wire it wide open?

For a "C" note and one pull starting, I am sticking with the 6 and a half horse predator motor.. Just wish I had the jingle to get a couple for when this one calls it quit in a couple years

For a "C" note and one pull starting, I am sticking with the 6 and a half horse predator motor.. Just wish I had the jingle to get a couple for when this one calls it quit in a couple years
Is yours a horizontal shaft, without the flywheel brake?

I ended up buying an engine from Small Engine Warehouse. It's a B&S 725 Series, 190cc engine. Manual Throttle, heavy flywheel. Should be here tomorrow.

Are you sure? According to Briggs & Stratton the engine on there now has a Heavy Flywheel as does the $400 replacement that is suggested for it, and Lawn Mower Engines do not...
Did that new engine from harbor work ?

Back