My first run with my new PS-5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would like to share a picture from my first outing with my new saw. This is the first time I'm attaching a picture so I hope it works.
Yesterday it warmed up to a balmy 24 degrees so I decided to go cut some wood. My new saw worked great. :clap: I'm happy to see there was a big difference from my old Stihl 011. The only complaint was I don't think the chain that came with the saw was very sharp. Any suggestions for a replacement chain would be appreciates. The saw came with a 18 inch chain, .325 X .050 pitch.

Wayne

The only complaint was I don't think the chain that came with the saw was very sharp. Any suggestions for a replacement chain would be appreciates. The saw came with a 18 inch chain, .325 X .050 pitch.

Just touch it up a bit.

33SL sucks plain and simple replace it with a OREGON 20LP for chisel or 20BP for semi chisel 72 Driver and you will be happier, better yet you should of got it with 3/8 pitch

Scott

Last edited:
I second the vote for Oregon 20LP for use in the clean stuff. I haven't done a side-by-side, but it is at least as fast as Stihl RS on my 026Pro and generally costs less. Stihl RM is probably the best choice for dirty wood.

I would like to share a picture from my first outing with my new saw. This is the first time I'm attaching a picture so I hope it works.
Yesterday it warmed up to a balmy 24 degrees so I decided to go cut some wood. My new saw worked great. :clap: I'm happy to see there was a big difference from my old Stihl 011. The only complaint was I don't think the chain that came with the saw was very sharp. Any suggestions for a replacement chain would be appreciates. The saw came with a 18 inch chain, .325 X .050 pitch.

Wayne

I have a saw and a maul just like that. The chain that came on mine (Oregon 33SL, maybe, don't remember, but it had the bumper tie straps), was very disappointing. Cut slow and dulled fast. I put an Arborpro thin-kerf bar with 20nk chain on it and have been very happy with that combo, although the light bar is a little flexy.

Do all Dolmars come with this as a first chain? Or do dealers actually fit a chain when you buy it?

Do all Dolmars come with this as a first chain? Or do dealers actually fit a chain when you buy it?

The dealer in AZ I got my 5100 from told me that they HAD to deliver the saw with the safety chain, but that'd he'd be glad to sell me a more aggressive aftermarket chain in addition. Another dealer I got my 7900 from let me specify the bar and chain I wanted it delivered it with, so?

33SG sucks plain and simple replace it with a OREGON 20LP 72 Driver and you will be happier, better yet you should of got it with 3/8 pitch

Scott

When my wife git me the saw for Christmas the dealer didn't offer her the choice between the .325 or 3/8 pitch. Is it easy enough to change the saw over to a 3/8 pitch. If so will I find a noticeable difference in the saw?
One other thing I did notice with the saw was that the RPM didn't drop as quickly as I would like when I let off on the gas. I have read other people on this site mentioning the same thing. I hope in time it reacts differently.

The dealer in AZ I got my 5100 from told me that they HAD to deliver the saw with the safety chain, but that'd he'd be glad to sell me a more aggressive aftermarket chain in addition. Another dealer I got my 7900 from let me specify the bar and chain I wanted it delivered it with, so?

Dolmar saws under 64cc come with safety chain we are supposed to deliver the saw that way. The 6400 and larger we order Power Head Only so we can outfit them the way the consumer wants.

Scott

When my wife git me the saw for Christmas the dealer didn't offer her the choice between the .325 or 3/8 pitch. Is it easy enough to change the saw over to a 3/8 pitch. If so will I find a noticeable difference in the saw?
One other thing I did notice with the saw was that the RPM didn't drop as quickly as I would like when I let off on the gas. I have read other people on this site mentioning the same thing. I hope in time it reacts differently.

Idling... step 1 Make sure the carb mounting bolts are tight, step 2 richen the low speed a wee bit you might have to remove the limiter cap, step 3 might have to replace the carb we have had to change a few.

3/8" conversion change rim sprocket, bar and chain.

Scott

When I bought mine the only it had .325 and I thought ok I'll try it and see how it goes. One tankful and now I have 3/8. Just about a new bar now hanging on the wall. I think they call it art:dizzy: :rolleyes:

Dolmar chain

My 5100 came stock from Amicks with an 18 inch bar and 3/8 chain. Works very well, though I have no comparison with the .325 chain. The slow return to idle problem seems to be less as I the saw gets more hours of use.

Idling... step 1 Make sure the carb mounting bolts are tight, step 2 richen the low speed a wee bit you might have to remove the limiter cap, step 3 might have to replace the carb we have had to change a few.

3/8" conversion change rim sprocket, bar and chain.

Scott

That's replacing the carb with another oem carb? Have there been some problems with the carb as delivered? Mine isn't too bad, but it does take longer to return to idle than I'd like in a perfect world. I'll try adjusting the low speed screw. I checked it with a tach and the idle is right on 2500 rpm. Thanks.

Another 3/8"

I caught the 5100 virus here on AS. I asked my dealer to sell me the saw with 3/8 - 18". As delivered, it had that odd rounded-raker chain -is that safety chain? The dealer traded me even for Oregon 72 chain. I hand-file and avoid dirt any way I can. The saw cuts great even though just a couple of tanks of fuel. It also idles fine, guess I'm lucky. A bit easy to flood when starting, but starts good with two pulls on full choke then ease off and starts on the third. Seems good at the warm restart.
Another thing I like is that the fuel and oil tanks seem to not taper up toward the fill cap. On both my other saws, as you fill fluids at a steady rate, just as you get near the top the tank narrows or something and you're apt to spill over. That seemed better on this 5100.
I don't have another modern saw to compare this one to, but for smoothness in the cut, great anti-vibe, nice compact size and light weight, and good power I'm going to like this one a lot. I don't have any trouble drop-starting either as some have mentioned - doesn't need decompressor. Maybe I just got used to my Jonsereds 80. Both the 80 and my Husky 41 also jerk the starter rope just as they stop turning after shut-off. I got so I'd pull a couple of inches of rope out at shut-off to save the rope, on both other saws. The 5100 doesn't do that. Very happy with the new saw. A big thank you to the other fans!
Jim

I caught the 5100 virus here on AS. I asked my dealer to sell me the saw with 3/8 - 18". As delivered, it had that odd rounded-raker chain -is that safety chain? The dealer traded me even for Oregon 72 chain. I hand-file and avoid dirt any way I can. The saw cuts great even though just a couple of tanks of fuel. It also idles fine, guess I'm lucky. A bit easy to flood when starting, but starts good with two pulls on full choke then ease off and starts on the third. Seems good at the warm restart.
Another thing I like is that the fuel and oil tanks seem to not taper up toward the fill cap. On both my other saws, as you fill fluids at a steady rate, just as you get near the top the tank narrows or something and you're apt to spill over. That seemed better on this 5100.
I don't have another modern saw to compare this one to, but for smoothness in the cut, great anti-vibe, nice compact size and light weight, and good power I'm going to like this one a lot. I don't have any trouble drop-starting either as some have mentioned - doesn't need decompressor. Maybe I just got used to my Jonsereds 80. Both the 80 and my Husky 41 also jerk the starter rope just as they stop turning after shut-off. I got so I'd pull a couple of inches of rope out at shut-off to save the rope, on both other saws. The 5100 doesn't do that. Very happy with the new saw. A big thank you to the other fans!
Jim

Yeah, my HU 350 isn't getting much use since I got the 5100. I think about selling it, but then I start it up and it runs so well I re-decide to keep it. You never know! I know the Dolmar is supposed to be heavier than the 350, but I really don't notice any difference, might be the thin-kerf bar and chain on the 5100, partly. It starts great for me, never a problem. I've got the oiler set in the middle of the 3 positions, and with an 18" bar that gives more than enough oil, IMO. I discovered the Dolmar thanks to this site, and am glad I did.

Back