My First Wood Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climber1423

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a ranch home just a tad under 2000 sq. ft., and I am looking into putting a stove in the garage. (The garage is under the first floor.) So the stove does not have to be pretty, just supply heat. What is a good btu range, model, price, etc?

Sorry for the board questions, I am new to this, just an arborist not an arsonist:laugh: .

Thank You

Woodstove

I'm not sure what you guys have there as far as like Free traders, newpapers, classifieds etc... Were I you, I'd look in something like that to find yourself a nice used one. You could probably pick one up for like 1 or 200 bucks. A nice airtight would be really good for an area that size. That's how I got my current one, and I saved about $1000 doing it this way. Just a suggestion bud...

As far as price goes no clue. For BTU range, I'd think you'd want anything 60,000 btu and up, models? Good lord, there's ton's of mfg's out there. Do a yahoo search for wood stoves and see what you come up with. Here's a great link for you to start. Hope this helps guy...

http://www.woodheatstoves.com/wood_stoves.htm

Last edited:
I'm with Treeco on this. What ever brand you decide on, get one that is epa certified. Much more efficient than old stoves, and you won't have to worry about smoking out the neighbors. Also be aware, you will probably spend almost as much $$$$ to get the proper (to code) flue set up.

jags said:
much $$$$ to get the proper (to code) flue set up.

Yep. And this is NOT the place to take shortcuts! Save money on a used stove, but DON'T go cheap on the flue.

yeppers

BlueRidgeMark said:
Yep. And this is NOT the place to take shortcuts! Save money on a used stove, but DON'T go cheap on the flue.

I agree whole heartedly on that also...:cheers:

Heating

Could be a dumb question... but what are you heating. Just the garage since that is where you are putting it? Or is there some way I am unaware of that you can get the heat from it into your house? If so... How! I am very intrigued.

Stove

I bought used several years ago from a farmer that ran it 4 yrs. $250 for this forced air furnace. It is in my basement, thermostat upstairs that blows air in the firebox when the house is cold. If you keep your eyes open, things like this are out there. I had the fan/filter box built and bought a monster fan from a local furnace shop used.This is old now, I bought it 15 yrs ago, so no EPA. I agree with the group on efficiency. If you have to blow through some form of duct work to get warm air in the house, keep your eyes open for some form of furnace. My 2c.

WoodFurnace.jpg

I would check out the Englander Add on furnace. I had one for a few years. I got rid of it a few years ago because we have alot of power outages in the winter and it required power to heat really well. ( to run the blower )
But, it worked great and i only paid $600 brand spanking new for it. Lowes has them. Clayton also makes a quality one.

With you having a ranch stly house it would be really easy to run the duck work. I just went to the local hardware store and bought regular single wall 8"stove pipe to run as duct work. I might have had $40 in all the duct work.

I don't think a normal woodstove is going to heat your house all that well. Not being in the garage anyway. The heat has no way of making it upstairs. I would just break down and buy a new or used add on furnace if you can find them. ALthough you will have to put some money into this project, it will pay itself back in just 2-3 years depending on your fuel bill now. Any time after payback is just money in the bank.
I have an AHS multi fuel boiler in my garage and I spent $280 all last year to heat my 3,500sq. ft. log home that is right on top of a cold mountain on the Md. Wv border. :clap:

http://www.vogelzang.com/NorsemanFurnaces.htm
http://www.meyermfg.com/woodchuck.html
http://www.englanderstoves.com

In case you are a novice, and we all were at one time. A woodstove just radiates heat. a hot air, or add on furnace blows the hot air through ductwork and into you house were you need the heat. And, of course, a boiler heats water to heat your house. No clue why the call an outside wood furnace a furnace. it is actually an outside boiler.

climber- I see you're in Pittsburgh- what part/area? We recently got a stove from a dealer- small mom and pop place. I really liked the guy and the service. New stoves are of course pricey. If you are looking for a reputable dealer thats also just a good hardworking guy, let me know. He is in the Cranberry area.

TreeCo said:
Jim Hawes was a good friend of mine and he lived in your area. Jim lived on 115 or so acres on top of a mountain in a log cabin and had a small Central Boiler OWB. His property was sold several years ago when he passed away. I know it's a long shot but your place sounded like his.

Nope not his place. Mine has been in our family for real close to 100 years now. I only have 76 acres

Latest posts

Back