My freebie. I think i did ok, just not sure what to do with it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadsailors

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I dont spend much time in the chainsaw section but i figured you guys might like to see a fresh and free score. So heres the story.

We were having dinner with my girlfriends parents and talking about burning wood and such as she told them i had recently bought a new saw and splitter. So my girlfirends step dad said he had an old saw laying in the garage he bought new way back. needed a few things but i could have it and do what i want with it. He walks out with this 031AV stihl. has a 20" bar and chain which are in good shape still. The saw, well it needs a good cleaning, a pull rope and some anti vibe bushing. It also looks the the tanks were drained before it was put away. Thats all i noticed at first glance. Ive done a few quick searches and havnt found to much talk about these saws. I know it was german built and these and the 028AV were simliar and pretty widely used. I like the idea of the outboard clutch and thought maybe just build it (or send it to have it built) just for a noodling saw. But its kinda small for that.(ill just save for a 395XP for that job) And i have new saws that i cut firewood with. My thinking is may go through it and give it to my dad who helps me cut sometimes. He needs a good replacment for his 4218 poulan. Or maybe just make it a shelf queen? Flip it if its worth it?Im not sure what to do.

What do you guys suggest? Its a good brand and we have a couple Stihl dealers close for parts and such. Being free its worth putting some money in but whats it good for?

Im sure Sawtroll and the like crowd around here will probly vote it as a boat anchor, :msp_tongue: but im still pretty new to this and its free so im happy. I like all chainsaws no matter the brand/color.

Old, clunky and heavy... could be fun to run occasionally but your back will pay for it later. They go for upwards of $200 on eBay but generally 1/2 that. Looks like it would be easy to clean up and get running.

It's your girlfriends fathers saw... those guys often turn into FIL and grand kids result from that stuff. I wouldn't get rid of it just yet if you know what I mean.... he could come looking for it and then you may need :help: we can't provide!

Ignition is the achilles heel of those saws. Make sure you can get sparks out of it before you do anything else.

I don't think you are going to walk in your local Stihl dealer and get parts for this saw. They were discontinued a long time ago. I ran in to similiar problems finding an air filter and a muffler for my 032AV. If you have a dealer that has sold and serviced Stihl for 40-50 years you might get lucky and find some NOS parts. Thats how I eventually found my air filter and I ended up welding and patching my muffler.

Cool old saw, clean it up and keep it.

Want to gift your dad, just find a newer more modern pro saw of whatever size he could use.

These cut pretty well for older saws. Yes the 30+ year old condensor often fails, but that can be worked around. However a new set of AV bushings are going to run you $30-$40 I think, used can be found a bit cheaper. They go for $125-150 all day long here on CL if you do decide to sell it. I like them, I have three runners. Forget about building it up, enjoy it for what it is.

Model Profile: 031 AV

Cool old saw, clean it up and keep it.

Want to gift your dad, just find a newer more modern pro saw of whatever size he could use.

Or get it running again and bring it back and show it to him.

Or get it running again and bring it back and show it to him.

This would be a good idea. I don't think I'll get rid of it but after picking it up a few times I know it isn't going to get used much.

I'll end up giving my dad my 362.

These cut pretty well for older saws. Yes the 30+ year old condensor often fails, but that can be worked around. However a new set of AV bushings are going to run you $30-$40 I think, used can be found a bit cheaper. They go for $125-150 all day long here on CL if you do decide to sell it. I like them, I have three runners. Forget about building it up, enjoy it for what it is.

Model Profile: 031 AV

Thanks for the link. I'll tear it down this weekend and see what it needs. Have to put a rope in it to check spark. Thats crazy those AV bushings cost that much. It'll end up just setting as a spare but I'm ok with that. I need a shed to store all these things in. The garage is getting to full of toys.

I don't think you are going to walk in your local Stihl dealer and get parts for this saw. They were discontinued a long time ago. I ran in to similiar problems finding an air filter and a muffler for my 032AV. If you have a dealer that has sold and serviced Stihl for 40-50 years you might get lucky and find some NOS parts. Thats how I eventually found my air filter and I ended up welding and patching my muffler.

Yea we don't have a dealer like that around here. Only have two and there pretty recent. But it's better than nothing. I didn't give it much thought about the age of the saw and parts availability. It will be interesting to see what I find when I get it apart.

Back