My Friends Woodburner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Met an 85 year old guy the other day and got to talking to him.He said he heated with wood and needed help getting wood down the basement. I went over to his house and helped him and he bought me lunch. Today I took to big boxes of 2x4 scraps to his house for kindling. Took these pics. Never did ask the brand of stove I was too busy admiring his exhaust.:)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ill get a picture of my shed stove this week.
Like that pipe setup.

Good on ya... Butyou need to explain to the ol guy that his setup will never wook... needs to to go sraight up from the stove at least 3 ft and no 90* elbows... stove won't draft good...:biggrinbounce2:

Good on ya... Butyou need to explain to the ol guy that his setup will never wook... needs to to go sraight up from the stove at least 3 ft and no 90* elbows... stove won't draft good...:biggrinbounce2:

looks well used, must be working?

interesting.
I didn't think that galv. pipe was rated for the heat. I thought it was for duct work.

===

That was a tongue in cheek post... I'm guessing he uses it as a heat exchanger... I sure @ 85 and probably burning for most of those he's pretty well figured out what does or don't Gither dun...

looks like an englander NC13 also looks like hes about to burn his house down
with that crazy routing galvanized ducting for a flue

The galvanized coating will burn off at high temps, causing poisonus gasses. The whole reason flue pipe is either stainless or painted steel. Galvanized is fine for a oil or gas furnace, but not a woodburner. Looks like some is already burnt off.

I thought about the pipe being galvanized but it doesnt seem that hot. He said he bought the stove and pipe from a reputable shop. I dont know. I do know that I didnt see any signs of the galvanize coming off. Ive burned galvanized steel at work with a torch and its nasty. :confused:

Yah,I have a book that shows some ways that people tried getting more heat out of their burners. Like most older guys hes pretty crafty. I could learn alot from him,and hope to.:)

I considered doing that, but was afraid the flue temp would be to low and allow more creosote to build up. Still might give it a try, but with regular stove pipe.

Here is a picture of an old stove that was on display at last year's EAA's AirVenture. (I don't know what it had to do with airplanes, but...)
Anyway, it looks like a pretty interesting way to gain some more heat out of your stove.

BTW, I was talking to a guy there and he just goes out and digs some coal out of the side of the hill for his fuel source.

stove1.jpg

Here is a picture of an old stove that was on display at last year's EAA's AirVenture. (I don't know what it had to do with airplanes, but...)
Anyway, it looks like a pretty interesting way to gain some more heat out of your stove.

BTW, I was talking to a guy there and he just goes out and digs some coal out of the side of the hill for his fuel source.

stove1.jpg

is that a radial plane engine in the bottom of the pic?

interesting.
I didn't think that galv. pipe was rated for the heat. I thought it was for duct work.

Galvanized is for duct work and flues depending on the gauge. 30ga for ducts 26 & 24ga for smoke pipe

looks like an englander NC13 also looks like hes about to burn his house down
with that crazy routing galvanized ducting for a flue

Yup my guess as well.

The galvanized is bad stuff for that close to the stove inside the house imo.

I know plenty of people that use the stuff because its cheaper but they have regular wood stove black pipe out of the stove me included.

Kansas

Latest posts

Back