My good friend bought another broke saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decableguy2000

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A good friend I've worked with for 20 years has a knack for buying broke saws for good money, most of the time they end up in milk crate at house for a while. Yesterday he finds a 036 Pro at a flea market and it won't start, overall in it looks good and has a good bar and chain. Well after some negotiation he gets it for 140 more than I would have gave but any way its now on my bench with a scored piston. I'm not real familiar with Stihl's but I will pressure and vac test this one before tear down. Is there any thing that stands out as a common problem with this model. Any special tools needed other than a long 27 torx?

Jeremy

After you buy some special tools and fix his saw ,...tell your friend you get $30 per hour for saw work now. Then see if he still buys broken saws for too much money. Good luck I really have nothing to valuable to offer .

You may need a Stihl flywheel puller, I had a 360 pro (basicly the same engine) I could not get the fiywheel off trying all the usual ways, took it to my dealer who took it off with the proper tool and sure enough one of the leaks was that bearing seal.

John

He will end up trading it to me before the end of the week. Over the years I have got a 021, Husqvarna 394, 141,Jonsered 625 (same saw twice), several Poulans. He always stops at little road side flea markets and yard sales thinking he can flip them for a few bucks. He use to do it with lawn mowers and four wheels with success, but not with saws.

Jeremy

140 doesn't seem like too much for a 036 pro that needs some work. Hell if the cyl will clean up won't have much into it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

$140 for a saw and it better run in my opinion. (Maybe an MS660 or something might be worth that broken but a lot of money can be put into a saw that you can't assess well.)
There's nothing particular to look for on that model. Just the usual checks. They're a good saw, just a high starting point for a project saw...

The OP states that his buddy gave $140 more for the saw than he would have, but did not state the price. He may have valued the saw at $0.00 or $100.00, at this point we do not know.

Sorry guys forgot a comma. He paid 140 figuring it needed carb work or something simple. Its at least 40 more than I would of paid for it. I just think of what I could sell the rest off as parting it out.

Jeremy

Value of parts is how I price broken saws too. ie, what's the bail out plan if the thing turns out to be majorly roached? So a saw with good plastics is worth more to me than an ugly one. As far as a runner goes, I don't care much how they look but the future buyers do and thus it affects the value. I typically pay $50 for complete 1127 series saws assuming I'm going to redo the engine, probably put a new sprocket, bar and chain on it. Plus they're always the little pieces that are missing or broken, muffler mod to do, LOTS of cleaning, tuning, testing and so forth. Then it's a $350 saw. Got a non running top handle Poulan? That's a $5 saw to me. They always need fuel lines and carb work. But they sell for $50 so not much room for fixing funds.

Latest posts

Back