my idea for a insert fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
ok when i got my insert 3 years ago i had to cruch the flex pipe quite a bit to get it up the chimney. this year i fixed the problem and the pipe if totally round with no restrictions.

the problem im having now is that i have a totally uncrushed stove pipe is the stove cant throw the heat like it used to. the last 2 years i always left the draft totally closed and the house would be 70-72ish. now im leaving it wide open and it cant get outta the mid 60's. so basicly i cant keep the house at an acceptable level of warmth. so next time i shut it down totally probly thanksgiving night or so. im gonna install a damper in the pipe. basicly by crushing the pipe before i believe i created a damper and when i removed it thats whats causing my heat loss. does that make sense to anyone?

What did the pipe look like inside before you straightened(rounded) it out?How big is the pipe? I would guess that you are using 8" or larger pipe and getting too much draft.I think I would rather you use a 8-6" reducer than crimping it, but you will have a better idea by looking at it.

I think you should also pick up a thermostat to accurately guage what is going on.

Last edited:
In my case...8" produces too little draft...I get great heat, but not the best of draws...have to burn a hotter fire than I'd like...which in turn uses more wood.

I would benefit from a smaller flue...this house is tight as a drum, I leave a window open an inch or so in the insert room unless I'm running the furnace fan...it has it's own 8" outside air intake and swing damper.

Last edited:
Im no expert but I think the 8" is too big for your application.Ive got a Sierra with 6" fitting into 6" liner up the chimney and it handles all i can throw at it. :)

Back