My Install with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK .. some disclaimers ..

I may get a rash of &^&^^ for not going with one of the name brands but this Natures Comfort has all the features I wanted (heavy mild steel, round box, blower below for coal option) a dealer close by ... and was $2000 less then the comparable name brands. I am not a plumber .. hell I can hardly be called a competent DYI'er !! So please excuse the crooked plumbing and messy solder ...

OK .. facts .. I have an existing oil hot water system (yea I installed that one too about 12 years ago) .. four zones, one that heats my domestic hot water. OWB is 75' from the house and it's a 50 plate HX. The simplest part .. those shark bite fittings! They are amazing.. leaks in the pipe joints and one solder leak but those damn SB worked like magic (course I can't afford to eat for a few weeks).

I started it Sat morning and I have not used a drop of oil since! I defiantly have to mess some (aquastat setting .. pump speed ) but it's working great so far.

I could not have done this without the great help from all the members on the board .. my sincere THANKS !!

You'll have to keep us posted on performance I have a dealer nearby too problem is they are banning them left and right county to county in my area or putting restrictions on them they just made a guy shut one down that has had it running for 3 yrs. (grandfathered guess not bunch of B.S) Could have been in a suburb though I don't know that for sure. Hope it all works out well for you seem like they were built decent!! Good job happy heating!! thanks irishcountry

Looks decent. Did the lights come with the package, or did you add em?

Aaah...either my head is tippin to the side or your stove is severely listing to the back??? Never heard of them, be interesting to see how it works out for ya. Free heat is all that matters!!!!

STAN, You sloppy SOB!

Stan: I love guys like you! I'm a little fussy, I mean "little" fussy. But you my friend, one of those guys that just wants to get the job done! Hey, long as it works, that's all that matters. Love it! Have fun with it! :clap:

Nice! Great home plumbing job

Stan I don't care what the name is on your OWB, if you are happy with it who cares what anyone else thinks. There are not too many OWB snobs here. Welcome to the ragheads-back-in-tents club !!!!:clap:

Aaah...either my head is tippin to the side or your stove is severely listing to the back??? Never heard of them, be interesting to see how it works out for ya. Free heat is all that matters!!!!

I was gonna ask the same thing,but I've had a couple barley pops tonight.

I was thinking that, but when the vertical sides are compared to the house, they're the same..Holy cow!!! His house is listing too!!! JK!!

Thanks everyone .. lets see if I can ansewer the questions. No .. the OWB is not crooked .. but I am .. there is not a natural flat piece of land on my property and I take pic like I do everything else .. half ass! Pad, stove and house are mostly level. Poured the pad ourselves .. 3 bags of porland cement and the left over sand from the trench and pipe install (dug with my Kabuto mini backho). I was affraid it was too close to the house .. really only 73' of insulated pex used.

Yea HX is plumbed to run with a counter-flow with vales and unions on all four lines so I can remove and clean the HX (a tip from this board). The oil burner is plumbed so I can by-pass the HX in summer and go back to normal flow when I just need domestic hot water and will not heat with wood. The motion lights did come with the stove but I added the switch that only controls the blower ... so I can trun it off if it's running while loading.

As for being fussy .. your right .. more concerned with functionality then looks (it's wonder I ever found a woman to marry me!!) and so far no leaks and not a drop of oil used since last week!! And since I was quated $2500 for an install I can live with some messy solders!

Lookin good. Your plumbing skills are way ahead of mine. I solder so little that everytime I do it looks like my 2nd grader had a go at it.

In that 1st pic it really does look like that unit is tilted to the back. But if it is level, then you have a bunch of leaners that you can take out for firewood.

You'll have to keep us posted on performance I have a dealer nearby too problem is they are banning them left and right county to county in my area or putting restrictions on them they just made a guy shut one down that has had it running for 3 yrs. (grandfathered guess not bunch of B.S) Could have been in a suburb though I don't know that for sure. Hope it all works out well for you seem like they were built decent!! Good job happy heating!! thanks irishcountry

Bump for Hawken08

i would throw a level on it....little high in the front?.....i hope theirs water on the front of the firebox when it gets low or you'll get a heat crack in it...then your warranty will be out the window...i'm sure in the install manual it says it needs to be level...they all do..

Last edited:
You guys got me so nervous I went out last night and made sure I did not screw up. Put the level on it and its 1/8 of a bubble off on my three foot level.. but that was by design. The vent/overflow pipe is on the front of the unit .. so my assumption was that I wanted it favoring the front (talking 1/4 in by my level) so no air bubble would be trapped in back.

looks good. i did my install myself also, its very rewarding. it helps so much in troubleshooting any future problems. good job.

It was just a figment of my imagination (and that's large) then....Carry on my free heat Brother!:D

That is a nice boiler, i did a little research on them,and its well built, 3/8" firebox,and and nice grate,and blower setup,Its also got a nice door.I wish i knew about them before I ordered my shaver almost 6 months ago,that still isnt here.

Latest posts

Back