My latest Craigslist score (Englander 24 JC)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppermouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Only paid $80 for it. Planning on putting it in my barn/garage.

Probably have too get the paint off of it, any suggestions?
Also someone scabbed on an adjustable elbow and welded it, I am going to remove that crap and fix it. Can you weld this? Is is just plain steel? Itis a shame the ruined the factory flange

If you notice in the second pic, someone put plexiglas in the door and lit a fire and melted it. Lucky something really bad didn't happen

JEEEEZ

That previous owner was quite the happy homeowner do it yourselfer.

Used plexiglass for a woodstove door ??
Used what looks like some Barn Red latex paint he found in local re-cycle center ??
(several good thick coats)
Used what looks like a air vent elbow at hottest point of smoke outlet exit ??
Used what looks like drywall spackle to "smooth out" this jury rigged outlet pipe ??
(at hottest point of stovetop)

Wonder if you had not given him 80 bucks, he might have used whole thing for boat anchor ??

It came from a rental property, if you look at the sides, they were Spackled into the fireplace opening as well.

I am trying to figure out how to get the paint off? Maybe build a hot fire in it sitting outside and see if it flakes off. I will have to fix the outlet as well.

Remove the masterful latex paint job that has spackle as primer ??

Go to Wally Mart, get gallon of el cheapo paint remover, wide brush and good scraper.

If do not have, buy cheap cannister blow torch

Give 'er hell....only thing that might get damaged is the plexiglass door insert

(still cannot believe that one) Rental unit says it all

Liberal coat of Rubbing alcohol cover with plastic, let 'er soak usually will soften up latex for scraper and/or torcho

Last edited:
I am not sure if it is latex or oil. Does paint remover work on latex?

Was thinking of hitting it with a rosebud on the Oxy/Acetylene

I'd light a fire in it outside. When the pain starts to bubble then scrape it off. You could finish it then with a wire brush. I'd remove that cobble job on the top of the stove and see what kind of damage is there. That is one hell of an ugly stove. It doesn't suprise me at all to see something like that. Hows the interior? I wouldn't doubt if you spend more on the glass than the stove.

Yeah, it ain't pretty, that's for sure. Doesn't look too bad inside, had a partially burned log inside, I am sure as soon as the plastic melted, they put it out.
It's going in the barn/shop, so I don't care. Might put a piece of steel in where the glass goes, but will probably break down and get some glass.

That stove goes to prove why insurance companies cringe at the general public heating with wood. Figures that came out of a rental. Thats the kind of thing you see in rentals.

Back