My latest Log Splitter re-incarnation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rleonard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last winter I did a make-over of my splitter. I have been very satisfied with the horizontal / vertical design I built and all it needed was a bit more speed.

I am partial to the old Wisconsin 2 cylinder engines and installed this TJD off a Yazoo mower found on Ebay. The pump is a Barnes 28 GPM 2 stage and I built the adapter. Prince detent valve (on both sides) and a 4.75 X 22 cylinder from a friend. The engine loafs along about 1800 RPM and has plenty of power to push thru the tough spots. The cylinder speed is plenty fast to keep up with and still be safe. The TJD and THD are similar models. TJD has uneven firing and THD has even firing (Different crankshafts and cams).

The engine is electric start and that needed a battery. Since I now has a source of power, Hey? How about lights? I am usually splitting after dark and the lights were a great add on.

Overall I could not be happier with the combination.

Here is a link to my Yahoo photo album with the pictures.\

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pilot...://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pilot_bob/my_photos

I'm planning to tear down and sandblast/paint this summer. The oil reservoir is a bit small and I plan to do something about that. There are no oil temp. problems, only occasional belching of oil out the breather due to turbulence in the tank.

Bob

Cool! I am also planning on adding lights to my splitters. Why? Why not LOL!

Looks like it means business. I would love to play with one of those wisconsin engines that I have read about on the posts here. The adapter looks like a neat job. Is it geared? If so, what did you use? I have a small diesel engine but I didn't use it on the splitter because I couldn't be bothered with a belt or chain drive but your adapter looks like my kind of thing. But maybe it is just a mount?

Agree with treeco, nice setup, makes more sense to split everything close to the ground (less lifting), an over-all great design I am sure will be copied lots.
Kudos, the lights are wonderful too! All-in-all a very well thought out design.
:clap:
And yes, balance would be important fer sure. :)

Pump adapter

The adapter mimics others, I started with the dimensions of the engine mount holes and machined a ring. Then 2 pieces of angle iron to another plate. After welding, then remachine the engine flange, just a cleanup cut to take out any warpage. Then machine the pilot hole for the pump. That keeps all in line. Between is a lovejoy coupling and spider from McMaster Carr.

So the pump is direct drive off the engine crankshaft.

I can shoot pictures detqiling if anyone is interested.

Heavy logs are tipped on edge and rolled into place. No lifting.

Bob

Nice touch

I love the lights idea! Excellent work on the machine!

My experience with TJD engines was not good. Everyone said that they were/are awsum. We tried using them on a insulating machine years ago. I had problems with ignition, compression, getting it to start, stalling. For no accountable reason it worked well 1 day (the only time). As usual, it was hard to start, and coughed sputtered and barely produced enough power to run the machine. I was feeding the machine so I got a chance to keep and eye onn it. Then for no accountable reason it smoothed out. Perfectly. Throttle closed to 1/4 with the governer, and ran like a watch the rest of the day.

I have no idea why. I had adjusted and tried everything to get it running well.

-Pat

TJD Woes

A Yazoo mower that I had had a similar problem. Would run great then suddenly act up terribly. I ultimatly traced it to a fuel pump. After that it was OK. There were a couple other amomolies, once the high speed needle seat came loose. Would vibrate lean than back to OK, then back to lean.

Thanks for the complements.

Bob

good looking splitter! the one I am putting together has the same pump and engine, however I have a bigger cylinder (5 inch) how big is your beam? do you have any flex issues? how far is the centerline of your cylinder to your beam? just curious....

Last edited:
nice splitter!!!

the suction hose looks a lot llike the water safe hose on my hydroseeder.

my experience is that it won't survive oil very long........

nice splitter!!!

the suction hose looks a lot llike the water safe hose on my hydroseeder.

my experience is that it won't survive oil very long........

You are right. It did not last too long. It was all I had available at the time. I have since installed a proper hydraulic hose. All OK now.

Next modification is to upsize the oil tank. I get some overflow from the turbulance in the tank. I hear some cavitation wen cold.

Bob

cavitation when cold is almost always suction line.

you can run thinner oil dextron 3 works well when cold, but is expensive.

Rleonard, You said you can hear cavitation in the pump when cold. What sound does it make? I just finished building a splitter and am ready for the hydraulic fluid. What fluid should I use? ATF or All season hydraulic 46W hydraulic fluid. I live in eastern Ontario Canada. This time of year is when I would be splitting. It would be used when the temps are between -10 C and +10 C.

The Yahoo photo hosting site is long gone. I moved the pictures to photobucket.

Here they are.

I have a new addiition that I have been working on. I'll post when I get the bugs worked out.

Bob

MVC-037S.jpg

MVC-034S.jpg

MVC-035S.jpg

MVC-036S.jpg

MVC-041S.jpg

MVC-042S.jpg

MVC-008S.jpg

Bob

Latest posts

Back