My mill (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hobby mill, or more ?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well, it was a hobby mill to start with. We got enought in it now we will have to but it to work part time.

No vids yet but as soon as we get the blade back from the doc and find 100hp tractor to drive it i will work on a vid. We got the blade hot the other day and found out that we were way under powered. each tooth take 2 to 3 hp and we were trying to run it with a 35 horse john deere.

Wow, 2-3 horse per tooth, that is unreal!! How many teeth are on it? What about a stationary power plant?

Hey I just got a mill like that and a John Deere G to go along with it. The only thing is none of it is ready to go right. Should be fun to work on. Nice mill.

Now we're talkin'...this is like Snidely Whiplash's sawmill that he was always gonna cut Nell with, before Dudley Do-Right showed up...

I have to imagine that this sawmill, unlike the SawStop, will in fact cut hot dogs! lol :cheers:

there are 36 teeth the saw doc told us to take half of them out and 100 horse would be the min. each tooth should take a 1/10 of an inch cut. that is 3.6inches per rev, at 10 rev per second. It should take 3.3 sec to cut 10 feet. Any less that that and your wasting horsepower to make fine sawdust.

Last edited:
TT, no Snidely involved, but an old guy I know here in town lost a brother to a circular mill like that way back in the forties. His brother stepped over the main drivebelt (stupid) and it grabbed his pantleg and threw him straight into the headsaw. Opened him right up from crotch to neck like a sardine can apparently. He told me by the time they got him to the hospital 20 minutes later, the blood was running out of the car doors and they knew it was hopeless.

ya drive belt scared the hell out of me to when we hit a knot it would thow it so we are in the process of building a drive line. the drive line will also get rid of a lot of tension the belt put on the arbor. and it wont slip

TT, no Snidely involved, but an old guy I know here in town lost a brother to a circular mill like that way back in the forties. His brother stepped over the main drivebelt (stupid) and it grabbed his pantleg and threw him straight into the headsaw. Opened him right up from crotch to neck like a sardine can apparently. He told me by the time they got him to the hospital 20 minutes later, the blood was running out of the car doors and they knew it was hopeless.
Brad,

It sure doesn't look like it would meet OSHA...;)

That is one honkin' blade! In that regard, Nell was always lucky that Dudley Do-Right got there before she got cut...he was always just seconds before...:monkey:

Circular blades are some type of stupid crazy...:dizzy: Even table saws present a lot of danger, but a huge blade like this spinning in the open air is pretty scary...just means you need to pay attention to what your doing. Could you imagine a company trying to market and sell a product like this today???...impossible, all the blade and belts would need guards on them to be sold, at minimum.

That said, I'd like to see it in action myself. :cheers:

Brad,

It sure doesn't look like it would meet OSHA...;)

That is one honkin' blade! In that regard, Nell was always lucky that Dudley Do-Right got there before she got cut...he was always just seconds before...:monkey:

Circular blades are some type of stupid crazy...:dizzy: Even table saws present a lot of danger, but a huge blade like this spinning in the open air is pretty scary...just means you need to pay attention to what your doing. Could you imagine a company trying to market and sell a product like this today???...impossible, all the blade and belts would need guards on them to be sold, at minimum.

That said, I'd like to see it in action myself. :cheers:

If you haven't seen it before, here's some old 8mm footage I have on my youtube account of a mill much like it cutting railroad ties somewhere here in the BC interior back in the late 50s or early 60s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3nXDLddFYc

Hi, I'm Chubz's partner with the mill. We didn't worry about OSHA standards, this mill was made before there was an OSHA. I don't mean to make light of it ether but honestly the way we have it set up, you would really have to reach to get caught in the blade. It probably looks a lot more dangerous than it is. We both grew up around agricultural equipment and this saw mill is really no more dangerous than a corn grinder. You just have to pay attention and not get in a hurry.
We are in the process of converting the mill to run off of pto which will do away with the flat belt. Does anybody have any advice on converting a mill to PTO? It was suggested to use a stationary power unit. That would be ideal but very expensive involving running 3 phase approximately 100 yards, we have the tractors available so it would be less expensive to use them. Thanks, Jeff

Hey, Big silver I sure would like to hear more about your mill. I like the picture on your icon as well. Good luck with the mill, this one has been fun to work on.

If you haven't seen it before, here's some old 8mm footage I have on my youtube account of a mill much like it cutting railroad ties somewhere here in the BC interior back in the late 50s or early 60s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3nXDLddFYc
I hadn't seen that, and watched a few Frick sawmill videos, those are also pretty scary to me. A modern bandmill seems so much safer, although nothing is completely safe, some of the Frick videos show guys reaching in and pulling boards away pretty close to the blade.

Those large circular blades scare the heck out of me...they sure do chomp up some wood though...:cheers:

Hey, Big silver I sure would like to hear more about your mill. I like the picture on your icon as well. Good luck with the mill, this one has been fun to work on.

Well right now it is at a buddies house (he and his wife moved in with his mother-in-law to take care of her after his father-in-law passed). I don't know what brand it is. As far as payment, all I have to do is cut 5 small trees(10-12 in) and one big oak (~38 in) (bonus). Oh yea I get the wood.

My girlfriends grandpa was telling me about one of his friend that losts a finger in a sawmill. (TWICE) Harry told me one day he wAs cutting boards got a little close and lost a finger in it and about a week later he went back to work and someone asked him how he did it and he said I only had my finger this close and it grabbed me. He lost another.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Chubz's partner with the mill. We didn't worry about OSHA standards, this mill was made before there was an OSHA. I don't mean to make light of it ether but honestly the way we have it set up, you would really have to reach to get caught in the blade. It probably looks a lot more dangerous than it is. We both grew up around agricultural equipment and this saw mill is really no more dangerous than a corn grinder. You just have to pay attention and not get in a hurry.
We are in the process of converting the mill to run off of pto which will do away with the flat belt. Does anybody have any advice on converting a mill to PTO? It was suggested to use a stationary power unit. That would be ideal but very expensive involving running 3 phase approximately 100 yards, we have the tractors available so it would be less expensive to use them. Thanks, Jeff

Stationary power unit could be a diesel or gas motor, it doesn't have to be electric... BUT, my neighbor had a diesel on his circle mill, and it didn't take long to figure out it was eating a lot of $$ in fuel, so he converted it to 3 phase... In the long run it was cheaper, and also much quieter, with a lot less maintance.

Rob

Back