My new "OWB"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Decided it was time for a nice firepit. Dug a hole about 4' diameter and 8" deep, got some rocks, and lined the outside. Was trying to channel woodbooga's rock wall building, but I didn't have enough rocks to choose from to fit everything together perfectly.

attachment.php

Dug around in the shed, found a nice 2x10 cedar plank about 10' long, but it looked goofy being straight that long around a circular pit, so I halved it. 3 blocks of box elder for support, had to do a little trimming to get everything level, but the 7300 needed a little running anyhow.

attachment.php

Pounded a couple fence posts, and split some of the half-punky box elder that's laying around. Lots more hidden in the grass, too, but some will be warm weather wood for the stove as well. Posts are 12' apart, so should have a good 1/2 cord of firepit wood when its full.

attachment.php

It's a bit too windy to light a test fire tonight, but I'll probably light it up tomorrow after work.

Steve

Last edited:
Got a test fire lit tonight - as suspected, it works just fine! Still have to finish filling the wood rack, but did add a trash can and some cheapo solar LED lights. Also gotta finish mowing once I get all the old box elder out of the way.

I think I can burn "pick up sticks" the rest of the summer and leave the stack for big fires or next year, I've cut a lot of wood over the last couple years in this little piece of pasture, and there is a ton of 1" stuff laying everywhere.

attachment.php

Notice my partner in crime in the bottom right of the pic, 8 year old lab/springer mix, "Skittles". Also, the 3 tine fork, useless for actual farm purposes, but a great fire adjuster. Alas, the handle broke at the end of the evening, but it worked so nice for moving sticks back onto the coals that it just might get another handle.

Steve

looks like fun, I live on a 4.5 acre lot in a 30 year old subdivision when the farmer down the road died his kids subdivided his farm we got all kinds of city folk around here that don't like smoke. so our township slapped us with a burning ordinance:chainsaw:

Glad you guys like it. Quack, sorry to hear of your situation. I'm on 80 acres, small subdivision across the road, but very much a rural area here yet, chances are smoke from a campfire will attract neighbors rather than send them whining to the gov't.

Shot from this evening, wood rack is now full, and have a bit more box elder yet to split and haul off to another pile for warm weather use in the house. Stack at the firepit is approx 5x12, average length 18" so about 1/2 cord with the very loose stacking (tons of knots and burls in this junk, just won't stack decent.)

attachment.php

Grass is starting to look a little more like lawn and less like pasture with each mowing, but I need to spray a bunch of thistles yet.

Steve

1 chair and 2 coolers....boy do you go prepared!LOL
Let's see a few more pics of Skittles.Any dog with Lab in it has to be a good one.
Mine always hits up strays with how would you like a little lab in ya?

Looks good and very relaxing after a hard days work. We are saving our pine wood for bonfires.

Latest posts

Back