My New Saw - 044 #2 - I Think I Got Lucky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is not a secret that I think the 10 mm Stihl 044s are one of the best all around saws out there. So when I saw this 044 offered for sale on e-bay, I just had to ask the seller some questions. It was not listed as a 10 mm saw, and I don't think the seller knew the difference. I think he just bought it at auction and wanted to turn it over. He did say that it ran strong.

It had the old style air filter cover and the old style air filter (3 layer), and all looked original. I requested the serial # and if the saw had been rebuilt. He gave me the SN (started w/120) and told me he thought the saw was original.

There was a minimum bid set at $400, but I hate bidding, so I asked him to post a "buy it now" price, which he did, at $5++. I then offered $400 and he accepted (+$35 shipping).

Then I started to read some of the experiences members have had w/e-bay, and I got worried.

The saw came very late today, so I have not had time to start it etc, but the compression feels very good. If you drop the saw (powerhead only) while holding the recoil pull, it will only thump twice, it will hold on the third compression. The saw came with a 24" bar. I think it is the original bar that the saw came with, and it does not show much wear, so I think I got a very low mileage saw (I think the bar is original because the old bars have a shorter replaceable tip that you can not find any more).

Although it is scratched & scraped, there are no broken or cracked parts. If it has as little usage as I think, it should give me many good years of service. I'm stoked. Can't wait to put a HD-2 filter and dual port muff cover on her and fire it up.

Attachments

• NewStihl044-7-18-14 002.jpg
    NewStihl044-7-18-14 002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 204
Mike, are you gonna keep a log of runtime? Just kidding. Do your best to wear it out. Slowly.

The Good, and the Bad, but mostly good.

I cleaned it up today and took a look at the chain sprocket. It looked almost like new, confirming my suspicion that this is likely a low hour saw.

So what goes wrong with a low hour saw? Yeah, it looks like the carb has been replaced.

That said, it started right up and sounded very strong. Can't wait to put it to wood (put an HD-2 filter on it today and a new chain catch, the dual port muff cover is on order, along with a new plug and gas filter).

Plan to do some cutting with it on Thurs (w MechanicMatt). Don't know if the dual port cover will be in by then or not.

How about posting a video of that beast once you get it in some big wood.:chainsaw:

I may try to do that. If you want to see video of my current 044, go to "Summer Time NY GTG" and check out the video Lootbug posted. The first one has my 362, the 3rd one has my 044. Hopefully, this new one will run the same.

More good and bad, but all resolved.

First the good, I noticed that the 24" bar that came with the saw is one of those "coveted no longer made" wide nose bars. See the attached pics of the 24" wide nose bar that came with the saw and a more recently acquired 24" yellow bar.

On closer inspection of the saw I found two items that needed to be addressed. The tank overflow hose was broken and dripped gas, and when you started the saw up it dripped oil like a pig.

It was on Sunday, all the chainsaw stores are closed, and I wanted to finish working on this thing. So I found a piece of hose that was the same size as the one on the tank overflow and inserted the two metal screw in things. But when I started the saw, it would not idle. I think it is because the new hose is too soft. Then I remembered that the old tank holder from 044#1 is in my next door neighbor's garage. This is the kind of broken thing that I always save that drives my wife nuts, but I always think I will have a need for something. Well my neighbor had it because when he purchased a beat up 044 the cheap gas line they put in it crushed, so he took the 20 year old gas line off that old tank holder and his saw runs great with it! So I got that tank holder and removed the tank vent & hose and put it on 044#2 and it worked perfectly! The saw runs great!

To address the oil problem (everything was wet, bar, chain etc after just a few seconds) I pulled the bar and the metal plate under it and made sure everything was clean, but did not see any real problems. So I adjusted the oiler to just a little bit above minimum. Not sure if someone stuck a bigger oiler in this saw, but it seems to work fine now. The bar and chain still seem to get wet, but it only drips a few drops after you shut it down. It was previously oiling my feet right after you started it, and when you shut it off the sides of the bar were covered in oil.

The saw is ready to go for Thurs, can't wait to put it in the wood!

Attachments

• 044 Wide Bar 001.jpg
    044 Wide Bar 001.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 044 Wide Bar 003.jpg
    044 Wide Bar 003.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 48
nice saw u have bought there! i am now on bying one of those 044 stihl...

can we have a video?

Thanks Brad, good to know, but that thing was really putting out. It is much better since I backed it down.

Brad, thanks for that info, you made me think, the saw was shipped to me with the oil 1/2 full, perhaps the oil in it was too thin, I will have to keep an eye on it when I refill. Thanks. Sometimes we presume things that are not accurate because we lack knowledge, which is why feedback from people like you is so important.

I will keep a close eye on it when I refill, you may have just saved me from a problem.

I love my 440. Id prefer the screw caps but the flippies are growing on me.

Anyway the 440/044 is a great saw. I got a dp muffler on mine and a base gasket delete. Squish was .18. Everytime I run it I smile lol.

My 038 super is very close in performance but the 44 will outcut it

Latest posts

Back