My new Stihl 260 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mule

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and I am enjoying it very much.Just today I ordered my new 260 pro chainsaw with 16" bar.I have owned other saws before but this is my first Stihl.I wanted a saw in the "PRO" class and the 260 really appealed to me.It will be in next week.I have ten acres upstate New York and will be using the saw for care of my woodlot and firewood cutting.I did my homework on the saw and most opinions were positive,a few negative,but that seems to be the way it is when seeking comments on saws.Any advise on the care and break in of my 260 would be helpful.Thanks.

cancel your order ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

do yourself a favor and get the Husky 346xp 50cc edition and you'll be a lot happier.

Not to mention it doesn't have those GAY flippy caps.

you mean those " gay flip caps" that dont rattle loose like on my buddies huskacrapa. LOL It's ok, my sister has a Husky too, most women do, just like Ford trucks

Seriously, I have used a husky recently, had no choice, it was an unplanned trimming at buddies house, it was fine. One big complaint he's had is that the choke, and on/off switch are too easy to snap off, he has at least one broke off on every saw, and has to use needle nose to to pull on his choke.

Last edited:
I have several Huskies.

you mean those " gay flip caps" that dont rattle loose like on my buddies huskacrapa. LOL It's ok, my sister has a Husky too, most women do, just like Ford trucks

I have no trouble with anything rattling loose on my Huskies. The muffler rattles loose all the time on my Stihl MS200t. Does that make you feel any better?

I like and own some Stihls, The MS260 is just out dated and over priced.

$450 is a good price for the 346xp. Just make sure it's the new 50cc model.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm just saying I've NEVER EVER had an issue with a stihl, but have never owned a husky, if the price was right I'd think about getting one. They are both great brands, so either way you can't go wrong really. Rattled off a muffler, wow.

congrats on the new saw,an exc. choice! 260 pro is THE lightest,most nimble saw in the class. not the most powerful,but definately the lightest. had you bought a 346xp,you would have been rewarded with the following:
* it is the most powerful in class,@3.5-3.7 hp,depending who you talk to.

*it is also quite porky @ 11.2lbs
*it has absolutely junk controls that break easily,unless a women runs it
*the plastic is cheap and flimsy,it is very poor quality
*it has a 1970's dated outboard clutch,which makes service a real pain
*it will have no parts availability in 10-15yrs
*it will also have zero resale in 20yrs.,026's in good cond. still bring 300.00 on a regular basis.
*husky wishes it had something as innovative as those flippy caps,you can fuel & oil a stihl,before you can even find a scrench to get the caps off that husky
*it would also have a cat muffler that is no good,some say to change it out,just what i want to do. put a 50.00 muffler on an already pricey saw.
*so,i my opinion 2 good choices made here,you bought a 260pro,you didn't buy a 346xp,which everyone says is so great. and yes,i have spent a fair amount of time on both saws, i'll take my 260pro any day of the week, old design or not.

Love my 260. Been using them since they were the 026. Great limbing saw and can be very nice in the tree when I have wood too big for the 200T, 14" bar but the 361, 20" bar would be overkill. I have a 16" bar on my 260 as well.

Hate the flippy caps on all new Stihls. Worst thing they ever came out with.

congrats on the new saw,an exc. choice! 260 pro is THE lightest,most nimble saw in the class. not the most powerful,but definately the lightest. had you bought a 346xp,you would have been rewarded with the following:

*it will also have zero resale in 20yrs.,026's in good cond. still bring 300.00 on a regular basis.
*husky wishes it had something as innovative as those flippy caps,you can fuel & oil a stihl,before you can even find a scrench to get the caps off that husky
*it would also have a cat muffler that is no good,some say to change it out,just what i want to do. put a 50.00 muffler on an already pricey saw.
*so,i my opinion 2 good choices made here,you bought a 260pro,you didn't buy a 346xp,which everyone says is so great. and yes,i have spent a fair amount of time on both saws, i'll take my 260pro any day of the week, old design or not.

:agree2: I have a 260 pro and it's a great saw,no troubles and I don't seem to loose the caps.

Stihl rocks and Husky Blows.:chainsaw:

Where have I heard that before.lol

However subjective, powerful argument.

I am new to the forum and I am enjoying it very much.Just today I ordered my new 260 pro chainsaw with 16" bar.I have owned other saws before but this is my first Stihl.I wanted a saw in the "PRO" class and the 260 really appealed to me.It will be in next week.I have ten acres upstate New York and will be using the saw for care of my woodlot and firewood cutting.I did my homework on the saw and most opinions were positive,a few negative,but that seems to be the way it is when seeking comments on saws.Any advise on the care and break in of my 260 would be helpful.Thanks.

Been awhile since I have read the documentation on a new Stihl but if I remember correctly you don't want to run it wide open when it is new unless you have it in wood. Once your into wood and cutting you can let it rip but I'm pretty sure you want to burn a few tanks through it before you run it wide open when not cutting. I usually burn a few tanks through mine then retune it by ear.

29qb6gi.jpg
its a great saw tom trees

Tom Trees did ya cut the pile of wood w/ a husky then pose that 260 there? Don't tell me that bar has been in any wood.
I have the 026, 346xp and the 5100, let's just say the 346 isn't going anywhere.
Good luck w/ breaking in your new saw...run her like a stole it.

Tom Trees did ya cut the pile of wood w/ a husky then pose that 260 there? Don't tell me that bar has been in any wood.
I have the 026, 346xp and the 5100, let's just say the 346 isn't going anywhere.
Good luck w/ breaking in your new saw...run her like a stole it.

we dont used junk huskys and yes we cut 100 cords a year i have more saws tom trees:cheers:

not gonna set here and say huskys are junk,they are not. i am just simply stating the obvious differences between the ms260 and the 346xp.

I've had a trouble free year with my 260 on the right of ways and side work. I have both huskijunkers and stihl. Hoping to phase out the huskies to dust collectors in the corner. There is no question where the finer engineering, materials, and overall quality is. Husky has good power...they are just junk by comparison. Sure...there will always be a place in my heart for my 365, but I haven't anymore time for such a high maintenance fatty when I can get busy with a little hottie.

Your money was well spent...and so will your time now be.

not gonna set here and say huskys are junk,they are not. i am just simply stating the obvious differences between the ms260 and the 346xp.

How much time have you wasted running them huskies. They are pro saws, but relative junk in comparison.

I've had them both apart, and there is no question stihl is in a class by itself.

I wanted to be a husky fan...really I did. But I bought that first stihl and was healed. A year later with the 260, and all i want is to go into town and grab that 460 and save for the 660.....not to mention the 200t.(a choir of angels singing in the backround)

i am deffinately a stihl man,but i just picked a new 2156(which is very nice,and for sale),and have ran a 346xp for several hours. i am not gonna call anyones stuff junk. i will say in my opinion,stihl has no equal in the pro market.

Latest posts

Back