My newest toy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HappyTreesLLC

HappyTreesLLC

ArboristSite Member
What grove?...
When you start getting jobs like 20, 50 or 100 trees. I am running 30 yard dedicated chip truck, also 20 yard chip/firewood truck and my bucket truck has 15 yard forestry body. When I use crane, some times I call 53' semi trailer fro chips and fill it up 3/4 in the day.
That grove.:smile2:

... however between the truck and chipper I couldn't turn around in the guy's driveway and had to back several hundred feet out to the road. ...
No truck with chipper can turn in 10-12 ft wide driveway. However my GMC T6500 30 yard has better turning radius then most of pickup based chip trucks.

superjunior

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice truck.
I hate to rain on your parade. Did you think about your grove? 10 yards I can fill up with in 30 min of work. To me it is a toy not a work tool. We are doing business. Go bigger.
Sorry if I ruin your day.
Tho it IS nice truck.

When you start getting jobs like 20, 50 or 100 trees. I am running 30 yard dedicated chip truck, also 20 yard chip/firewood truck and my bucket truck has 15 yard forestry body. When I use crane, some times I call 53' semi trailer fro chips and fill it up 3/4 in the day.

No truck with chipper can turn in 10-12 ft wide driveway. However my GMC T6500 30 yard has better turning radius then most of pickup based chip trucks.

calling someone's new chip truck a toy? really? Are you Paul Nosak?.. protecting us commoners from the worlds deadliest vegitation?.. LOL..:laugh:

HappyTreesLLC

HappyTreesLLC

ArboristSite Member
calling someone's new chip truck a toy? really? ...
Read my words "to me it's a toy". Yes realy

.. Are you Paul Nosak?.. ..
No. Don't speak code language.

.... protecting us commoners from the worlds deadliest vegitation?.. LOL..:laugh:
Actualy yes. When in December 2008 or October 2011 every think was paralyzed by downed trees I DID saved many lives from "deadliest vegitation" by providing access for emergency services. My crews worked 24 hours (12 hours shifts) in 4 consecutive days. Moving trees from roads for State and Towns.
Every day I was generating 180-200 yards of wood chips easy. 4 Town 10 yard dump trucks was flying back and forth like bees. Plus my chip truck was loaded few times in between their trips.

Just for this conversation I pulled my records: in 2011 I sold 1,600 ton of chips. It's about 6500 yards of chips.

So again, Sorry it is toy to me. Some one spend large coin and no thinking for how long he will be small tree service. I know now you are excited with new shiny truck in your driveway. But remember my words in few years when you are not small guy any more and you don't have time to play around.

tree MDS
You do still have to have a smaller 4x4 around these parts. Some of these driveways are just retarded.

Locking hubs are nice for backing trucks like that up steep drives (etc.) in low range. This is just basic, old school 101 type stuff, just thought I'd add to the thread. :cheers:

superjunior

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite
So again, Sorry it is toy to me. Some one spend large coin and no thinking for how long he will be small tree service. I know now you are excited with new shiny truck in your driveway. But remember my words in few years when you are not small guy any more and you don't have time to play around.

One of my trucks is only shiny cause it was just painted.. lol. But I wasn't talking about me here.. Do you really think it's practical for a smaller co to have a 30 yard tandem axle chip dump pulling in and out of driveways?

tree MDS
One of my trucks is only shiny cause it was just painted.. lol. But I wasn't talking about me here.. Do you really think it's practical for a smaller co to have a 30 yard tandem axle chip dump pulling in and out of driveways?

I've even had to back my chipper into position with the hitch I have on my farming winch (tractor), and then hook up the old one ton after that. It's just whatever it takes really.

Oh well, at least someone else is getting picked on for having a nice truck for a change!! :laugh:

Last edited:
treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite

Jobs like you are talking about, I tend to stay away from for two reasons... 1. the hackers will put a low bid in on it and 2. I don't want that type of work anyways. When I use a crane I consider myself lucky if I can get so much as 1 extra truck on site (besides chip truck). Most of the work I go for is either pruning, or crane assisted removals. Perhaps in time I will go for a larger truck, but I know that it will sit for the most part as it's gonna be too big for the bulk of my properties and the roads. As far as turning around goes... I have turned my chevy truck and chipper around in many driveways... also have a front hitch on that truck for getting into REALLY tight spots.

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Read my words "to me it's a toy". Yes realy

No. Don't speak code language.

Actualy yes. When in December 2008 or October 2011 every think was paralyzed by downed trees I DID saved many lives from "deadliest vegitation" by providing access for emergency services. My crews worked 24 hours (12 hours shifts) in 4 consecutive days. Moving trees from roads for State and Towns.
Every day I was generating 180-200 yards of wood chips easy. 4 Town 10 yard dump trucks was flying back and forth like bees. Plus my chip truck was loaded few times in between their trips.

Just for this conversation I pulled my records: in 2011 I sold 1,600 ton of chips. It's about 6500 yards of chips.

That's great that you wish to work for your municipalities, I have absolutely NO desire to do so.

treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
Dude your truck is sharp as hell , I mean if your thrilled with it then you are ahead of the game , and honestly when you get "huge" just go buy 3 more and you'll be 10 yards ahead of the hater. LOL I mean maybe someone should tell the big orange that they'll never be a big company running 11 yard bodies ... LOL

HappyTreesLLC

HappyTreesLLC

ArboristSite Member
... Do you really think it's practical for a smaller co to have a 30 yard tandem axle chip dump pulling in and out of driveways?
Tandem? Never! Tandem is not driveway friendly. Tandem = logging. My is single axle under 26K lb.

I've even had to back my chipper into position with the hitch I have on my farming winch (tractor), and then hook up the old one ton after that. It's just whatever it takes really.

Done that many times. Chipper with tractor awesome positioning tool/technique. :rock:

Jobs like you are talking about, I tend to stay away from for two reasons... 1. the hackers will put a low bid in on it and ...
I always put my price what I need regardless of hackers competition. They come and go. Recently I scored 120 trees. My competitor #1 = $2,300; competitor #2 = $1,700. My price $10,000. My guess I did understand what customer wanted and presented to him. Yehhh, buy the way, I was not drunk during estimate. I guess it helps too. :hmm3grin2orange:

... 2. I don't want that type of work anyways. When I use a crane I consider myself lucky if I can get so much as 1 extra truck on site (besides chip truck). Most of the work I go for is either pruning, or crane assisted removals. Perhaps in time I will go for a larger truck, but I know that it will sit for the most part as it's gonna be too big for the bulk of my properties and the roads. As far as turning around goes... I have turned my chevy truck and chipper around in many driveways... also have a front hitch on that truck for getting into REALLY tight spots.
It is excellent that you know what you want. Have you consider to get cab-over? much better turning radius if you are concern about maneuverability. Jukonsky dealer right by you. Half of length of your tuck is cab and nose. Just out of curiosity what is you total truck length and wheel base (center -to- center). GMC(Chevy) T6500 with 30 yard is 22.5 ft bumper-to-bumper, wheel base 13.5 ft. I guess W5500 is even smaller with upto 19K gvw

... As far as turning around goes... I have turned my chevy truck and chipper around in many driveways... also have a front hitch on that truck for getting into REALLY tight spots.

Hitch on front? ... is awesome idea. I am going to make on all my trucks. Thanks.

That's great that you wish to work for your municipalities, I have absolutely NO desire to do so.
3 guys, bucket truck, chip truck with chipper. Paycheck next week. Local exposure. I am getting 10-15 calls per day just from passing-by people. Local police detailing. Easy trimming and easy take downs. Usually 8 hours per day. $250 per hour. Why not?

HappyTreesLLC

HappyTreesLLC

ArboristSite Member
Dude your truck is sharp as hell , I mean if your thrilled with it then you are ahead of the game , and honestly when you get "huge" just go buy 3 more and you'll be 10 yards ahead of the hater. LOL I mean maybe someone should tell the big orange that they'll never be a big company running 11 yard bodies ... LOL

Excellent point. Right tool for right job.

mattfr12

mattfr12

The Bulldog

Having a truck like you bought is important, and is also a good place to start. its new so it will last you a long time. buying some beat up old tandem for 15g's is a bigger waste of money in my mind. sometimes I'm chipping into tractor trailers and sometimes into a truck the size you bought. they all have their place and time. I would definitely take it. And I'm picky, I have a lot of pride in my rigs and buy the chrome packages for them spend the $$ money to make them look extra sharp. that truck looks good and can serve you well in residential applications for the next ten years or longer.

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tandem? Never! Tandem is not driveway friendly. Tandem = logging. My is single axle under 26K lb.

I always put my price what I need regardless of hackers competition. They come and go. Recently I scored 120 trees. My competitor #1 = $2,300; competitor #2 = $1,700. My price $10,000. My guess I did understand what customer wanted and presented to him. Yehhh, buy the way, I was not drunk during estimate. I guess it helps too. :hmm3grin2orange:

It is excellent that you know what you want. Have you consider to get cab-over? much better turning radius if you are concern about maneuverability. Jukonsky dealer right by you. Half of length of your tuck is cab and nose. Just out of curiosity what is you total truck length and wheel base (center -to- center). GMC(Chevy) T6500 with 30 yard is 22.5 ft bumper-to-bumper, wheel base 13.5 ft. I guess W5500 is even smaller with upto 19K gvw

?

I am sure the DOT would LOVE to see an under CDL truck going down the road with 30 yards of chips on the back! 30 X 600? = 18,000 lbs... so you better weigh under 8 with everything you got.

If I had to bid 120 trees around here it would be FAR more than 10K and I know the market around here well enough to know what type of people wind up bidding on, and ultimately getting those types of projects.

Now as far as a cabover goes, I did consider it for a brief second or two, however the 4wd cabovers have smaller engines and less capacity than what I just picked up. Granted they are nice for small places, but lack the power to tow a chipper and a load of chips up or more importantly stop on some of the terrible hills that we have.

mattfr12

mattfr12

The Bulldog
I am sure the DOT would LOVE to see an under CDL truck going down the road with 30 yards of chips on the back! 30 X 600? = 18,000 lbs... so you better weigh under 8 with everything you got.

If I had to bid 120 trees around here it would be FAR more than 10K and I know the market around here well enough to know what type of people wind up bidding on, and ultimately getting those types of projects.

Now as far as a cabover goes, I did consider it for a brief second or two, however the 4wd cabovers have smaller engines and less capacity than what I just picked up. Granted they are nice for small places, but lack the power to tow a chipper and a load of chips up or more importantly stop on some of the terrible hills that we have.

30 yards would be a massive chip truck. i don't think i have anything that will haul 30 but i may be mistaken. we have 20 foot boxes on our hook lift. i dunno how many yards it is but i always thought 25. and at 25 it is a massive chip truck. the chipper is usually towed by a one ton pickup and backed into place then the truck starts dropping off and picking up containers in front of it. and one of those containers weighs more than 18k. some where closer to 22-25k.

HappyTreesLLC

HappyTreesLLC

ArboristSite Member
I am sure the DOT would LOVE to see an under CDL truck going down the road with 30 yards of chips on the back! 30 X 600? = 18,000 lbs... so you better weigh under 8 with everything you got....
You get right on money. :laugh:
I am usually not loading if chipping oak trunks, but stuffing it up to roof if job is old rotten pine, willow or fluffy spruce. They are more like 400lb per yard.

Well it's easy trees on this lot. most of them are drop in one piece. Plus I guess I'll get 4-5K in timber and 1-2K on chips. So numbers work for me well. :rock:

You should of try cabover. May be next time. Agree the engine is much smaller but it's not for racing. Stopping power is dictated by axle. Speaking of roads, I am in NH. Our roads are consist of left turn, right turn, up, down or combination. Straight road is only in theory. The most important is you like your truck and you can afford it. It's grate.

30 yards would be a massive chip truck. i don't think i have anything that will haul 30 but i may be mistaken. we have 20 foot boxes on our hook lift. i dunno how many yards it is but i always thought 25. and at 25 it is a massive chip truck. the chipper is usually towed by a one ton pickup and backed into place then the truck starts dropping off and picking up containers in front of it. and one of those containers weighs more than 18k. some where closer to 22-25k.
14 ft long x 8 ft tall x 8 ft wide = 33 yards. Minus slop at the end - giving about 30 yard. Overall truck is 22.5 ft long which is equivalent to crew cab pickup truck with 8 ft bed. My truck empty weight is 12.5k lb. So I need to be very careful to stay kosher under 26K other wise I can jump over 30K easy.
I was entertaining idea for hook-lift and ez-roll-off. But after finding how much hoist + container weight the payload is minimized dramatically. So to go with 30 yard definitely needed to be tandem which is very bad for my business model and customer driveways.

Last edited:
superjunior

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite
You get right on money. :laugh:
I am usually not loading if chipping oak trunks, but stuffing it up to roof if job is old rotten pine, willow or fluffy spruce. They are more like 400lb per yard.

Well it's easy trees on this lot. most of them are drop in one piece. Plus I guess I'll get 4-5K in timber and 1-2K on chips. So numbers work for me well. :rock:

You should of try cabover. May be next time. Agree the engine is much smaller but it's not for racing. Stopping power is dictated by axle. Speaking of roads, I am in NH. Our roads are consist of left turn, right turn, up, down or combination. Straight road is only in theory. The most important is you like your truck and you can afford it. It's grate.

14 ft long x 8 ft tall x 8 ft wide = 33 yards. Minus slop at the end - giving about 30 yard. Overall truck is 22.5 ft long which is equivalent to crew cab pickup truck with 8 ft bed. My truck empty weight is 12.5k lb. So I need to be very careful to stay kosher under 26K other wise I can jump over 30K easy.
I was entertaining idea for hook-lift and ez-roll-off. But after finding how much hoist + container weight the payload is minimized dramatically. So to go with 30 yard definitely needed to be tandem which is very bad for my business model and customer driveways.

if that's the case then my chip box must hold at least 20 although it's been argued here by some that it's only around 12.. I guess it to be around 16 with the toolbox setup. It holds a LOT

Treetom

Treetom

ArboristSite Guru
I always have mixed feelings when I see a truck like that. They look real pretty, but the point of a work truck is getting work done. I guess I'm lucky to only be able to afford old beaters. Sure helps when it's time to git 'er done.

Shaun

I prefer old reliable trucks. Don't want to fret over every little ding and scratch. As long as they look good from a distance. Old beater, soon to retire attached. Break a side board, put a new one in, paint it black. Done. Maybe I'll keep it around for and "air loader."
View attachment 240040

Latest posts