My Oak Trees are Dying and No Local Nursery Can Help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanH

Reaction score
Nobody can seem to identify what's going on with my trees, Please help.

Sorry for the poor pictures.

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

Scale insects

Looks like a soft scale insect on the oaks. A Imidacbrid product --used as a soil drench should work-But you need to read the label about the insects it controls and follow the instructions. Leacium soft scales they look like-but my spelling is wrong I'm sure

When I had a problem with a locust tree a few years back, I was able to go to our county government, which had a small staff of trained agricultural experts.

For a very nominal fee ($1, if I remember correctly) they would take a look at a plant sample and make a recommendation/diagnosis.

Maybe your county has something similar...

That's Lecanium Scale. Imidicloprid will help if timed properly. Also 3% oil sprayed in spring and another application of a synthetic pyrethroid when the crawlers hatch. Check timing with your extension service.

I don't believe that the scale is causing your trees to die as you say...

Appearance of scale is often one sign of a stressed or weakened tree. The recommended treatments should take care of the scale, but you need to take a closer look at the underlying cause of the tree's natural immune system failure.

Buried root flare? over/under watered? root system tampered-with? recent nearby construction? recent climate extremes? etc.

All trees benefit from broad expanses of mulch and mineral powder supplements like lava sand.

xtm

PS - If no one at a local nursery could ID that as some kind of scale - then you need to give someone in the next town your gardening business....pretty basic for someone in the nursery biz....

Last edited:
Back