My one armed helper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everybody,The son of a friend has pestered me for a while to take him on a job,so last wed.I did.I was very careful to explain and demo the correct operation of the chipper(vermeer 625) to him before we started and worked with him over an hour before moving to a seperate operation. Everthing is going fine,I'm cutting,he's dragging and chipping.He puts a top section of a sweetgum tree into the chipper backwards (small end first) and ,a stub caught his pocket and ripped the front of his pants almost completely off.We were 45 mi. from home and finnishing up so I offered him duct tap (only thing I Had)to assist with his problem.The tape didn't hold very good,it was funny watching him work,Its hard to drag brush and hold up your pants at the same time.He was a good sport about it.I've never heard of or seen this happen before.Take care,Mikey

It seems like most 'independant thinkers' will basically ignore most instructions on how to perform certain tasks until they find out for themselves WHY you told them to do it a certain way. It can be real frustrating correcting a greenie daily on a certain task until the equipment breaks or he hurts himself enough to do it 'your' way. :rolleyes:

Haha!!

Here's a good pic I caught of a gman employed by Scott, for whom I was subbing. I dont think he'd ever chipped before, and we give him dead madrona, the worst stuff...crooked, stiff, and brittle.

looks like he just got stung here:

Later, a branch caught his glasses and flung them somewhere, not to be found til the next day on top of the chipper infeed, barely hanging on. Poor guy could barely see without them. Not only that he was very hard of hearing--not the best for a gman!!!

at least the chipper didnt eat 'em!!

Why sir! It looks like that chipper has seen a lot of brush, judging by the shiny metal infeed. :D

Nickrosis

Back