My Poulan broke, big time. pic. inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvvette97

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I haven't even had this saw for about a year. It hasn't even cut much wood even. I was cuttin yesterday and all at once it made a pop and the chain got loose. The end of the crank broke off. Has anybody seen this before?
Picture091Small.jpg

yes, mine did the exact same thing.
It is a poulan p3416.
Poulan did honor the warranty, but it happened to me in less than 3 months.
it would have to be taken to a pro to get any warranty work done.
but mine is ok now.
This seems to be due to the poor design with the drive gear on the outer end of the crank.

Looks like it's time for a new saw!

Incidentally, there's nothing in the way of a "design defect" in having an inboard clutch instead of an outboard clutch. Lots of good saws (most?) have inboard clutches and don't go breaking their cranks.

if it's less then a year old they'll more then likely replace the saw. they do cover there warranty very well. just hard to find a shop that service's poulan's. call the sevice # on the handle.

its not that the clutch is inboard or outboard, it's the shape of the drive sprocket. i use a poulan ''pro'', (yea, right) 42cc i got for cheap off ebeware for firewood. i gutted and opened up the muffler and tweaked it up and it is great for what i use it for. nice and light and good enough power. anyways the sprocket that came on it felt like a flintstone saw when you moved the chain around it by hand. the teeth on the sprocket just didn't mate up with the drivers worth a darn, and it sounded like a rock crusher when you ran it. so i ordered up a 16'' gb bar and carlton chain and sprocket and it made 100% improvement. wanted to go with a rim drive, but couldn't find anything for it. i think the vibration that occurs with these ill designed sprockets will kill alot of these saws before there time.

I just bought a Poulan Pro the other day to replace this one. I haven't used it yet so I will see if it vibrates like yours

Just alittle hint on the chain adjustments. When the chain is warm or hot and you guys are over tightening these chains and they then cool off, where do you think the give is going to be, hint look at the pic above in #1. Leave alittle slack in the chains after adjustments.

Latest posts

Back