My rec tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRecurve

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my rec tree. Its a Eucalyptus tereticornis, commonly known here as Blue Gum. Its not the tallest at 30 meters (100ft) but thats about what they max out at around here, and it has a lot of volume with multiple major leaders.
I try to get into it at least 3 afternoons a week, just depends how much climbing Im doing at work

DSCF0359.jpg

Here is my fiance at the base to give some idea about size. I havnt measured it, but I estimate the circumference to be 7 metres give or take.

DSCF0363.jpg

Im lucky enough that this tree is in my front yard.

DSCF0389.jpg

This is looking into the centre from 25 meters, gives some idea of the mass.

DSCF0390.jpg

This old birds nest is actually made from pieces of fencing wire. Strong birds!

DSCF0399.jpg

DSCF0394.jpg

rec tree cont'd

These paper wasps are rebuilding their nest after the last one failed when the bark started shedding at the beginning of summer. They are a bit of a pain, as I cant go out the few laterals that surround the area, but the tree is plenty big enough for both of us. The nest that this variety build is about the size of a rugby football, they are very painfull and tend to attack in swarms. I have had them follow my line up in other trees before.

DSCF0422.jpg

DSCF0421.jpg

This union is pretty cool, and a reasonably common feature of this species. The second photo shows the main union of the two leaders, the distance between is 3 metres.

DSCF0412.jpg

DSCF0410.jpg

DSCF0420.jpg

I would love to see pictures of anyone elses rec trees.

Cool pics, I'll post some of our rec. climb tree I've just got to remember to bring the camera to work:bang:

MrRecurve said:
Here is my fiance at the base to give some idea about size. I havnt measured it, but I estimate the circumference to be 7 metres give or take.

DSCF0363.jpg

Nice base.

Hey Recurve, I'd take a can of this stuff and nail them paperwasps ... they're buggers and got attitude.

They like to build their nest on the underneath of forks ... ever thrown your flip line thru the fork and been nailed?

wasp.jpg

Lol, cheers guys she is beautiful. Good thing Im marrying her eh?

Ekka- It would be good if the little suckers moved on of their own free will, I dont really want to spray them, there is plenty of tree. If I get stung too often, they will cop it.

Great euc photos, love that wire nest! Do you happen to know what kind of bird made it?

Here's one of OTG Boston's rec trees, a fine beech. Photo by Gregoire visiting from Montreal:

Speaking of tough birds here's one photographed yesterday in my backyard rec tree (red oak):

Same tree with people in it instead of intrepid hunter. Checkout that seriously codominant silver maple across the street:

-moss aka jos47

Last edited:
I honestly cant think what bird would tist up wire that thick. A magpie or crow would be my no 1 choice, seeing as pteradactyls are extinct. Or are they????

Moss, thats an awesome raptor, what is it?

MrRecurve said:
I honestly cant think what bird would tist up wire that thick. A magpie or crow would be my no 1 choice, seeing as pteradactyls are extinct. Or are they????

Moss, thats an awesome raptor, what is it?

The wire nest looks like the semi-disorganized pile that our local crows make for a nest except they use twigs and small branches.

It's a Red-tailed Hawk, they make a good living in the city. There are enough trees in the parks for nesting and rodents and pigeons to keep them happy.
-moss

I'm going to sound like a fruit cake but anyways, you're truly blessed to own your own rec tree and at that a gum! I get jealous of my customers that have nice gum's in their yard that they want cut down - as I don't have one of my own.

When I buy my own property i'll be looking for one with a nice healthy gum :D

Some very nice views in your tree. So do you body thrust up? or SRT?

I usually trunk walk/body thrust, however I do use secured footlock from time to time. I am putting together a srt setup over christmas, so Im looking forward to that.

Sycamore tree

It shown by my profile I think the picture shows up I not sure .If does it am at maybe 65ft I guess tree tops at 80ft a guess anyway .

Latest posts

Back