My recent close call...flight to the ground!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbaker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been dithering about posting my story. Thanks to Tom D. and others for encouraging me.

In November 2007 I fell 20' to the ground from a big willow. Made a bad error and was very lucky to come out as I did.

If you want to read my story and laugh learn or cuss me out...its attached.

Still groaning daily...Scott

Wow thanks man! I hear you on being embarrassed. I too a had a huge fall but it was even more my fault than yours also it was a lot of my own inexperience. Kudos for you to be man enough to admit you made a mistake. Thanks I enjoyed your story and thank the good lord it has a good ending.
Jared

Thanks for posting, glad to hear your OK.
No laughing, or cussing out. I think everyone has pushed it too far too many times. Looking back I wonder how I was not killed many times.
Your story is another reminder that it is usually "us" that we have to watch out for the most. Meaning step back, think about it again, and wake up. The best part of this profession is your always thinking, its those times when we don't think we get into trouble.
Thanks for the wake up call!

thanks for sharing.... had a similar scare. only branch didn't let go.

years ago when I first started climbing trees... climbed a oak anchoring to a large crotch. didn't think much until I got up and realized entire backside of crotch was hollow. about sh*t in my pants..

needless to say that got me checking back sides of ALL anchors. regardless of how sound it looks from one side.

Good Post thanks for sharing.

You are lucky. With out ragging on you too much, as a Paramedic I have to say you really should have gone in the Ambulance. I could list a lot of reasons, but I wont go into all that.

Thanks again for sharing the experience. If any one wants to debate the Ambulance issue I will be glad to.

Scott, thank you for sharing your experience, no, no **** from me, just keep healing up and for dog's sake be careful All; you are so very very lucky man, I know as a relatively small fall of around 12' changed my life forever and I live with reminders daily, we ain't bullet proof and that foggy-end-of-the-day thingy can be a killer in near any activity involving heights/weights and tools.
Heal up well!

:cheers:

Serge

It takes a big man to right something like that. You don't have to answer this but I can just quess how many times you must of reread it your self. Iwcall that learning. Good luck climb slow see you in the stars.......bob

Ouch. You remind me of me. Now, the older we get, we just don't bend and bounce like we used to, and it takes longer to heal, so the stakes have gone up.

Thanks for posting this story. God Bless, Ryan.

Thanks for your post and I'm glad you are recovering!

It just helped to remind me that I am not a total wuss when I stop at the end of a day, when there is just one more bit to do...but I'm busted...
Come back the next day and it all goes well. I'd rather have a thinner profit margin than a big medical bill!

Thanks all of you for feed back and good wishes.. I am glad I posted my story.

The blowing out breath thing...as I undersand it...is that it is better to hit while chest cavity is deflated rather than inflated. Does that really make sense? I don't know.
Scott

i worked with a company last month.

they use a climber i no longer use.they got back from lunch and he didn't want to spike back up to were he had been working so they got a bright idea.they decided to winch him back up with the chipper winch.well 30 feet up the drum lock disengaged so you know what happened next.he landed on his back on a small pile of brush.amazingly he worked the rest of the day and the next day.amazing.i just shook my head as usual.

Wow! Glad you are OK Scott, it would suck not being able to bump into you at tradeshows any more.

Willow can be scary at the best. I've had 4 inch limbs bust out pull testing an SRT set. (yes plural, they were 2 crotches, but deflecting in the same direction

The blowing out breath thing...as I undersand it...is that it is better to hit while chest cavity is deflated rather than inflated. Does that really make sense? I don't know.
Scott

My understanding is that in a highspeed accident, your lungs can burst like a balloon.

So if you scream all the way down you get about the same effect right? :)

I love this forum...learning something new everyday, just like grandma used to say. ;)

Latest posts

Back