My Stihl 075 died, need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastcreek

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the forum. I've been a woodworker/ boatbuilder for over 35 years and do some occasional milling when a suitable log turns up. I've been using a frankenstein Stihl 075 for the last 15 or so years but I think it finally died a natural death yesterday. I run 3/8" chain and have an assortment of bars and chains. I'm really not a great small engine mechanic, and the outdoor equipment shops around here just want to sell you a new $2000 saw that they'd have to order. They aren't interested in working on older saws. I guess my immediate question is what other saw heads can I run my bar and chains on? A friend has offered the loan of his Stihl 090. It has a different type of sprocket than the 075. Is there a 3/8" sprocket available to fit a 090? I've got a bag full of new ones in my box for the 075. The other possibility is a Husqvarna 395xp that's listed on my local CL for $650. I'm not familiar with the Husky's, will I be able to use my bar and chains on this. I've got some 30"+ English Oak logs that I was in the middle of milling in someone's side yard and they need to leave there as soon as possible. Another few hours with the 075 would have at least gotten things to a movable size, but I'm in a bit of a bind time wise and need to figure out a way to finish milling these.

Thanks, Roger

Im pretty sure those bars are not gonna fit the 090 or the husky. If ur gonna buy a used saw you should be looking in the classifieds on this site. A lot of great sellers on here that you can count on not selling you a piece of junk. If you don't know a lot about small engines you can easily be sold a piece of junk or a stolen saw on Craig's list. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Roger you may want to consider a new saw. You need it yesterday. Some of the newer saws have the Mtronic. They automatically adjust the carb and keep up with the saws stats. If you had time I would mention the Huztl kit saws you build, they work great. Best of luck

075 is stihl 3002 bar mount. Fits 051, 075, 076, 084, 088, ms880.
Least expensive option would be a used 051. At 89cc it's not the best for milling but it'll work and is cheaper than the other options.
Or, I'm willing to bet there's tons of garage chainsaw mechanics in your area. Probably not the fastest option but I'm sure your saw can be resurrected in the right hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or, sell your saw, bars and chains for "parts" and invest in new equipment.
Or. . .
There's adaptors out there so you can run those 3002 bars on smaller Stihl's up to 066/660. May also be able to adapt them to run on that 395xp but I'm not 100%. Search of this forum will tell you for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the replies. I see that there is someone selling new ms880's in the classified section for what sounds like a decent price. I don't really do that much milling anymore and am not sure I want to invest that much $ at this point. When I first started milling with an Alaskan mill 30+ years ago the 090 was the holy grail, not sure what everyone lusts after these days. Is an ms880 a top milling saw? I had an 056 which was really marginal at best but that was what I had and made it work even though it was painfully slow on the bigger stuff. The 075 was an eBay purchase and ran well for quite a while until the cylinder gasket failed and the cylinder got scored. The used replacement cylinder had a good bore but I guess the threads were worn. It tries to vibrate itself apart and even with locktite I can't keep the screws tight. I've had the carb vibrate loose, yesterday was the 3rd time, most of the castings are missing at least one tab and tend to loosen up and the muffler was welded and brazed before I got it and I've welded it back together 2 more times. I think it's time to take it out and shoot it. I'm sure I could put some new screws in it, run it with half a muffler and get a few more cuts out of it but I doubt it will finish this job. I guess I'll spend a few days looking for a decent used 075, 076, 086, or 088. I know the bars and chains are not the big ticket items compared to the power head but I've still got quite a few $ worth of stuff and would prefer to be able to use them if possible. If all else fails maybe a new saw is the answer.

I wish I could find a garage chainsaw mechanic. The great one when I was younger made it big with a very successful business and now won't work on older stuff. He makes plenty dealing with the landscape contractors and weekend warriors. I'm sure he hasn't worked in the shop area in 20 years, too busy running the place.

Since you are from NY there has to be someone on AS who is within a couple of hrs of you who could take a look at your saw. From your description yours is probably a parts saw now but with a little help from those here I bet you could find yourself another 075. There was one for sale in the classifieds but I think it sold.

If you go onto the chainsaw thread there is a sticky that relates directly to 051 through to the 076's those guys rebuild them all the time and take the time to help other people they also share part sources with each other.
Goodluck DaveL

IMG_0540_zpssrflppf1.jpg

I had to cut the butt to 33 1/2". That's the max width with the 36" mill. About 28" on the small end. The other 3 lengths are a bit smaller, the top one I freehanded a few crooks out of for some boat stems.

IMG_0545_zps0tiakokg.jpg

IMG_0544_zps3ebcw3yo.jpg

IMG_0543_zpsp0sseidf.jpg

I think the muffler might finally be done for. The last time I had it welded back together the man who did it kept burning through it and made a bit of a mess. In his defense it had already been done I think 3 times before.

Does anyone know where that spring goes. I went metal detecting today looking for "spare" parts but only found the one bolt with washer and this spring which was very close to it.

I bought an 076 on eBay last night that looks like new, just couldn't justify the cost of a new 880 for the amount that I now use the mill. I'm going to bolt the 075 back together and see what happens. I actually shut if off at the end of the last cut, even though I was holding the recoil/gas tank with my thumb to keep it from vibrating too much. I expect it will run ok, but will I damage what's left of the saw by running it with the muffler this way. I've been looking for a new one unsuccessfully for quit a while.

Back