My Stihl 088 Magnum Teardown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must not have been looking. :)

I just got the pictured saw - 088, 36" bar, 2 chains, boxes pictured AND an Alaskan Mark III mill for $450. Runs loud. Haven't had a chance to pull the muffler.

Where in North Mississippi? I've a house and land in Fulton.

great find but far far far from typical. I mostly find worn out junk 088s for 1400$. on a side note my buddy bought a rough 088 for 100$ needed bearings and a piston........ now its a alky hotsaw

There are deals out there, for sure. You just gotta be the one to hear about them and jump on them FAST before somebody else does!

There are deals out there, for sure. You just gotta be the one to hear about them and jump on them FAST before somebody else does!

And that's the thing -
I check Craigslist FREQUENTLY for a bunch of things. The saw I bought was posted at about 1600 on a Saturday. I didn't see it until about 2330 during watching "Saturday Night Live". I emailed, he responded, I ended up being 3rd in line and then the other two were no-shows.

Plus he didn't even post a picture of it.

I'm not in "big saw" country, I'm 11 miles SSW of the Whitehouse, even most tree services here don't go up to 90cc saws, much less 120cc. At my place in Mississippi the local Stihl dealers said they only rarely sell a 660, the trees aren't big enough.

Well I've got one in my yard:
attachment.php

And now I'm READY :)

You might want to check the case on the clutch side where the chain brake goes, there is a little knub to keep the brake ring positioned and on mine it is worn off and very hard to fix with out replacing the case. On a saw that big you don't need a chain brake (IMO) and if it is going on a mill you surely won't use it , or the big dawg spikes either. I have an 088 on a mill and do not have a brake or any dawgs on the saw.

Good find!!!! Now start pumping some iron so you can carry that bad boy!!!

Back