my stumper is so happy with its new cutter wheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stump bandit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After 3 tries, I finally found a cutter wheel that really matches the performance of my stump grinder. I have two grinders and love both of them. My small back yard grinder is a Kan-du and my big one is a Carlton SP 8018 TRX. The 8018 has a 80 hp on it. I just put the Revolution wheel on it ans could not be more pleased. It is the upgrade Dura disc 2. I have ground about 125 stumps since putting it on and am just now ready to sharpen some of the lead teeth. The last ten stumps were in really rocky ground and and I got no chips in the carbide. This wheel cuts so smooth. I am so impressed. Just wanted to share this with you. If anyone knows of a Kan-du grinder for sale, please let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
stumper teeth

What is special about the new teeth that they outlast other varieties?

The carbide on these teeth are 2 times bigger and about one third thicker as well. I was also told that the carbide used on these teeth is better than on most. All I know is that the rock I was hitting today would have taken the tips off a few of the teeth and chipped a few on either of the previous wheels. I am not a vender. I am new to this site and maybe should not have posted my number. Is that against the rules?

I don't know all the rules, but I think it is generally a poor idea. Why don't you edit that first post, drop the phone number, and request a private message instead?

In the meanwhile, boosting your favorite machine is perfectly ok, I have done that myself. Be cautious, however, that your post doesn't sound too much like an advertisement. There are lots of spammers, and we treat them rather poorly. As a first timer, let me advise you that you really don't want that to happen.

The carbide on these teeth are 2 times bigger and about one third thicker as well. I was also told that the carbide used on these teeth is better than on most. All I know is that the rock I was hitting today would have taken the tips off a few of the teeth and chipped a few on either of the previous wheels. I am not a vender. I am new to this site and maybe should not have posted my number. Is that against the rules?

If your not spamming thats fine. Spam happens here from time to time and it usually starts out with an account with like one post and offering a phone number or reference to another vendor.

You think this disk that you are using is faster than traditional style stump grinder teeth. like green teeth? I've seen it before on the carltons i have green teeth on mine. but have no idea what the benefits of the disk would be other than lasting longer. if someone could say its a whole lot faster and had some scientific backing to it, i might be interested.

This post seems fairly legitimate (google the number) and the vendor in question is a sponsor unless I'm mistaken. Unusual to see a first post on a new account which is an endorsement of a product which is not spam though.

I've looked into this style of wheel before, and been tempted. A buddy is running a multi tip wheel on an SC85 and loves it. All these styles of wheel have the teeth staggered in depth, unlike the symetrical wheels where they are all the same depth. I'm running the older style of wheel on a 25hp self propelled. The staggered teeth design means that when you rock out, only a couple teeth are ruined. So you end up losing less teeth over time, plus this style of wheel seems to make better use of horsepower because less teeth are in the cut at any one time, kind of like skip chain on a saw. The teeth on offer are sometimes quicker to change, and sometimes different in design like the multi tip teeth.

The downside is the cost. I keep holding back even though I know it's a better system because I just don't stump much. I've had my machine a year and it's still got less than 100 hours. I've still got the original 3 sets of teeth it came with. They'll probably last another year. It would take me 10 years to recover the investment cost of going with one of the better wheel/tooth systems, because I dont grind much.

For my buddy who grinds all the time, the multi tip has been a big time and money saver. He doesn't sharpen, just keeps grinding. Can't do that on a small machine. When the lead teeth crap out he changes a couple. Even though the teeth are more expensive, the overall cost is lower than running standard teeth because he doesn't use many. Plus the grinder really is quite a bit faster in the cut and the teeth last longer.

If you're thinking of changing wheels, contact the manufacturer and they can often hook you up with someone nearby running what they've got so you can take a look and get some feedback. Lookout for specials too. Multi tip does a special every couple years where they give you the weel for free if you buy a box of 50 teeth, which is a saving of about $500 from memory. It was still about $1500~$2000 to buy into the system last time I checked. That buys me a lot of standard teeth.

Shaun

Green teeth

If your not spamming thats fine. Spam happens here from time to time and it usually starts out with an account with like one post and offering a phone number or reference to another vendor.

You think this disk that you are using is faster than traditional style stump grinder teeth. like green teeth? I've seen it before on the carltons i have green teeth on mine. but have no idea what the benefits of the disk would be other than lasting longer. if someone could say its a whole lot faster and had some scientific backing to it, i might be interested.

I know for sure that this disk cuts faster than anything I have tried. I tried green teeth on my first disk and they were ok with average stumps but when I would get into a big stump where I had a lot of grindings built up with no where to go, the wheel would really slow down. Mine is a track unit and I think by design that there is less room for chips. The wheel that you are seeing on the Carlton's is not this wheel. It looks close. My understanding is that wheel is very pricy. I also think that part of why this new wheel is so good is the way they have the teeth angled. The only thing I don't know is how it will hold up long term as far as wear.

Hi Shaun

Thanks for the feed back. I took my number off and I am not a vender but I do grind a lot of stumps for about 6 companies not including my own customers. Since you brought it up, I have to tell you that I just got done running the multi-tip for the past year. It is not good. Since I put it on, I have gone through a set of cutter wheel bearings, 2 poly chains and a V belt. I normally get at least 500 hrs out of all these items. I you hit a rock with those teeth, They will chip or loose the tooth. Wes
This post seems fairly legitimate (google the number) and the vendor in question is a sponsor unless I'm mistaken. Unusual to see a first post on a new account which is an endorsement of a product which is not spam though.

I've looked into this style of wheel before, and been tempted. A buddy is running a multi tip wheel on an SC85 and loves it. All these styles of wheel have the teeth staggered in depth, unlike the symetrical wheels where they are all the same depth. I'm running the older style of wheel on a 25hp self propelled. The staggered teeth design means that when you rock out, only a couple teeth are ruined. So you end up losing less teeth over time, plus this style of wheel seems to make better use of horsepower because less teeth are in the cut at any one time, kind of like skip chain on a saw. The teeth on offer are sometimes quicker to change, and sometimes different in design like the multi tip teeth.

The downside is the cost. I keep holding back even though I know it's a better system because I just don't stump much. I've had my machine a year and it's still got less than 100 hours. I've still got the original 3 sets of teeth it came with. They'll probably last another year. It would take me 10 years to recover the investment cost of going with one of the better wheel/tooth systems, because I dont grind much.

For my buddy who grinds all the time, the multi tip has been a big time and money saver. He doesn't sharpen, just keeps grinding. Can't do that on a small machine. When the lead teeth crap out he changes a couple. Even though the teeth are more expensive, the overall cost is lower than running standard teeth because he doesn't use many. Plus the grinder really is quite a bit faster in the cut and the teeth last longer.

If you're thinking of changing wheels, contact the manufacturer and they can often hook you up with someone nearby running what they've got so you can take a look and get some feedback. Lookout for specials too. Multi tip does a special every couple years where they give you the weel for free if you buy a box of 50 teeth, which is a saving of about $500 from memory. It was still about $1500~$2000 to buy into the system last time I checked. That buys me a lot of standard teeth.

Shaun

Hey Shaun

One last thing, This new wheel I am running is not anything like the multi tip which is, as you said sort of egg shaped. This wheel is more conventional but the teeth are really good and in the right place. On the multi tip, just about all of your cutting is done with the lead teeth. So much so that they get hot and the others don't. What does that tell you? Wes

well when I seen his number I googled it to see if he was the manufacturer or just somebody using it whacha know the number came back to some landscape/tree co so either he created a really good cover or he his just a very pleased user of his equipment...

Thank God

I've been cleared.
well when I seen his number I googled it to see if he was the manufacturer or just somebody using it whacha know the number came back to some landscape/tree co so either he created a really good cover or he his just a very pleased user of his equipment...

Dang, Stump Bandit. WTF? You made a positive comment about the Revolution wheel and all this negativity comes up. I don't get it. Anyway, I just bought the Revolution wheel for my Vermeer SC352. I can't say that it is amazingly fast or that I can tell a huge difference in my grind times. I am not disappointed that I spent about $1,200 on this wheel. It is much heavier than the original wheel. I have only ground about thirty stumps with it and the chips are finer and it does seem to cut faster and easier but not dramatically. I think the difference is the placement of teeth on the side of the wheel which the original wheel did not have. My grinder is only 35 hp diesel. I have never been one to take big bites out of the stumps so maybe that is why I don't see a huge difference in speed. I feel it is easier on my machine. I feel this wheel is worth the money if you have plenty of stumps. Time will only tell if the teeth hold up longer than the green teeth or yellow jackets. As a side not, swapping the two wheels was a piece of cake. I would make the purchase again.

Latest posts

Back