My Through the wall Metalbestos chimney install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finished up my class A chimney install this weekend. thought I'd share some pics, comments (good or bad) welcome.
There was a cinder block chimney originally that sat on the ashpit. It was failing and dangerous, so I got on the roof and
pushed it over for this stainless double wall replacement. The Selkirk Metalbestos Ultra Temp only requires a 2" air space to combustables. The thimble design makes up the clearence through the wall

First the finished inside part of the thimble. The family room has a brick hearth and wall (showing from outside)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fitting the outside half

Detail on Tee and support tray:

Job finished, not fun going up ladder with those 36" lengths but I've done worse:

...if I were a betting man...a box of donuts says that the cap will give you issues. Other than that ...nice job. There no screen in the cap is there?

...if I were a betting man...a box of donuts says that the cap will give you issues. Other than that ...nice job. There no screen in the cap is there?

No screen in cap, kind of a flow through design. Have'nt lit a fire (Dutchwest, non-cat wood burning stove) yet due to unusually warm temps in the N.E. I guess I will see soon enough :msp_biggrin:

Great job sawjo!
Installed my Selkirk chimney last year with the same cap.......no problems.
In Canada, for insurance purposes, chimney installs have to be WETT inspected. How abour yours?
Now some pics of the stove and hearth?

Last edited:
Nice work. Really thorough.

Did you remove a different chimney? Is that why the siding is replaced all the way up?

BTW, you want good firestarter, that old cedar siding is fantastic stuff. Hope you didn't chuck it, although with that paint on it, it might not be the best.

I've got that same cap. Never had a lick of trouble with it in the 5 years I've used it.

Great job!!! Have the same Selkirk chimney. Cap is smaller than my old one. Harder to clean because of it's smaller spaces, but no problem in three years with this new stuff. Original chimney I used for 15 years no problem and had been here since the 70's! Find creosote around joints and top 10"s.

I'm new to the forum but I can relate to the no fun on the ladder I ended up dropping a piece and decided to wait till a lift was available. I have the same brand yours looks good

Fine job.
Over the years in many homes Selkirk has been he product to go to for flues. We've usually used their "roof support package" system to have an all vertical flue indoors. It's nice to use a high quality, easy to use, exceptionally reliable product. Only problem is that it is $$$$. Made in North merica BTW.

Sharp

Nice job Sawjo!

Did this home have a masonry chimney years ago? I think that's what I am seeing, the foundation and a few course of brick?

I priced some triple wall 8" smoke pipe yesterday for a wood stove job I'm quoting and it run nearly $50.00/ft. The customer liked to #$&t:msp_w00t:

I explained that his shop burning down versus $$$ paid for the correct installation was a fair trade out.

Happy heating!

Tom

Latest posts

Back