my wife and I conversation today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polkat

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
this conversation is between my wife and I we have a chipmunk situation in our attic I killed 26 and still counting. its saw related thought I would share a little. if any tips please add them to my thread in the homeowner section thank

I knew you'd start saying the trees are not coming down if you cannot keep your "precious flowers." Trees should come down. We can fight about flowers another time. This is silliness. It is January and you have bigger problems right now, like how to get those nasty varmint out of the house. Blaagh!! Ish

the trees are not coming down if you cannot keep your "precious flowers I did not say that; my only concern is KILLING all these little monsters withing a mile radius around our home I would cut every tree on our property if it comes down to it

Good. As long as you are staying focused. It seemed like you were getting off track a bit with all the flower talk. Take every tree around our house down as far as I am concerned

I will need a bigger chainsaw for that :greenchainsaw:

I use a Discovery PCP so I can reach out to em without spooking em

Chipmunks and squirrels can do a number on a house. Another thing I use is a small leg hold trap. you can tie a nut to the trip or just put a bunch of them where they come through. I got 4 last fall that way. They don't touch the traps for a few days but then they get used to em and they WILL step/jump on one!!!! cuts em in half...real quick.

Because he is online and the chipmunks are Stihl in the attic

ya thats it, No I was trying to get the wife to accept the thought that i need another saw . it can be moved if needs to be sorry I thought it was rather intresting.

I'd say your problem is more about how they are getting into your attic. It shouldn't take too much investigating to find and either screen them off or plug them up with sheet metal. I lived in WI for about 25 years and rarely saw chipmunks in the winter, unless it was really mild. I thought you guys were having a fairly normal (cold) winter. There is probably a food supply stored in there somewhere, also, that should be removed. Good luck!

I haven't tried this method myself but it sounds workable.

Get a five gal. bucket and fill it half full of water. Pour in a bunch of sunflower seeds. enough to cover the surface of the water. Make a little ramp out of a board maybe put some sunflower seeds on the board so the chipmunks follow the ramp to the top. The chipmunk sees the bucketful of seeds and jumps in. Chimpmunk drowns.

But I'm sure you're aware that there is no shortage of chipmunks in northern wi. You can kill them for a month of Sundays and not make a denet in the population. You gotta find where they're getting in and block it up.

I haven't tried this method myself but it sounds workable.

Get a five gal. bucket and fill it half full of water. Pour in a bunch of sunflower seeds. enough to cover the surface of the water. Make a little ramp out of a board maybe put some sunflower seeds on the board so the chipmunks follow the ramp to the top. The chipmunk sees the bucketful of seeds and jumps in. Chimpmunk drowns.

But I'm sure you're aware that there is no shortage of chipmunks in northern wi. You can kill them for a month of Sundays and not make a denet in the population. You gotta find where they're getting in and block it up.

We do something similar at hunting camp. We coat a beer(not soda) can with peanut butter, run a coathanger through the middle of it. Take a nail or other thin object, heat it and melt notches on either side of the 5 gal pail for the coathanger to set in. Run a ramp up to the edge. The mice make their way out to the can and when they climb on, spin-a-roo, kerplunk and they drown. Never have to reset it! The ultimate mouse trap!!!!

I know of a chipmunk that ate a 200mg Vivran (caffeine) tablet. I don't know what happened to the little guy....but bet it was fast.

Alright, I will be ridiculed!
But a cat(kitten) from the shelter, that is made to be a barn cat is worth it's weight in gold!
The misses brought 2 cats from the barn to the homestead earlier this year!
I was alittle upset to say the least! After about 2 months! not a chipunk, rabbit, squirrel, mouse, or any other smaller mammal has been seen!
They live in the barn, and keep to them selves!
This was also important, because Of the wood shop. The mice got into some wood and bedded! ERRRRRRRR, a nice pile of zebra wood!

Back