My winter firewood adventures 2009/2010

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This thread will be an on going update of my winter firewood cutting and splitting season, mostly pictures after this opening post. I knocked out about 15 cords this summer/fall cutting stuff at my summer job at a local tree company. Now that school has started up again and my good buddy Roger has been laid off from his seasonal job, we have been searching locally for spots to cut at.

So far, so good. I have stuck various deals on different sites. One logging site that we have agreed to cut everything and take half. Second, a maple syrup operation that has been doing some thinning to promote sugar maple growth. We are paying a small fee for the wood, but access is great and the wood is almost all cherry; primo condition that will bring high dollars. Third, homeowner with a bunch of bean pole oaks and hickories, all free, but a half hour drive away. Fourth, local homeowner who has a various trees he wants gone and also has some thinning he wants to be done. The beauty of this last spot is that he is tied to a very large farm that could potential open up to many, many acres of tree lines and woods.

Here are some pictures so far. Taken on saturday, the piles have changed drastically. We split most of everything with mauls. If the season goes well, a super split will be in future soon.

The start of our work:
001ba.jpg

The workhorses. We don't need full size truck to get the job done. Will have some loaded pics soon, all of them are on my phone.
002zt.jpg

Mostly cherry in that pile from the syrup spot. Big elm rounds from my work, those are for the splitter
003pd.jpg

The splitter is a huge homemade unit. Over 7 feet tall vertical! The cylinder is off a Cat loader. Works pretty good.
004sg.jpg

Old gas-job Bobcat for a wood mover. Does a nice job for an older unit. I have been spoiled with the large diesel skids at my work.
005jn.jpg

Crazy dog named Duke. He chases everything and is lightning fast. Saw him running a deer on Saturday.
006ht.jpg

That is it for now. I will have some pics of the trucks and saws in the woods soon. Hoping to get a tractor or a skid steer in there too. For the older members, I hope to do just half the job Gypo did with his "tractor in the woodlot" thread!

Back with some updated pics of the firewood pile. Have been busy with school lately, but I'm on break now, so game on!

Probably pushing 4 cords split. Maybe more, but I'm a pessimist.
001ro.jpg

New to me 262xp. Runs pretty good, but my other one is a little hotter.
003ngs.jpg

004cn.jpg

006sc.jpg

007au.jpg

Going to haul some more wood tomorrow. Got some saw logs to pick up too. Love that the ground is hard now.

That Dakota a 4X4
I had a 2000 4X2 ..the springs are lighter than the 4X4 ..but I very carefully brought home 2300lbs from the garden center with her :biggrinbounce2:

Nice pile of wood ...Some guys are just plain lucky ..:cheers:

That Dakota a 4X4
I had a 2000 4X2 ..the springs are lighter than the 4X4 ..but I very carefully brought home 2300lbs from the garden center with her :biggrinbounce2:

Nice pile of wood ...Some guys are just plain lucky ..:cheers:

It is a 4x4, but the springs are weak! So I put in 1500 pound helper springs. That has helped a bunch with squatting.

I have been a wood scrounge for years, this year I have had tremendous luck finding places to cut it. I hope to make the most out of it.

Coil took a #### about 3 weeks or so ago. My friend hasn't fixed it yet. Ram is usually in, but I don't see a big problem with it being out if used often. It came off a Cat loader.:)

If you need a coil, let me know I may have one, just sold a box of em.

Ended up selling these saw logs for 300 bucks. Paid for the 25 loads we got out of the maple sugar spot.

With a huge amount of lake effect snow and the recent warm weather, those two combined have put a crippling effect on cutting and splitting wood the past 3 weeks. The end is in site though, as cold weather will be moving in this week. I should have some pictures soon of the updated process.....

For the older members, I hope to do just half the job Gypo did with his "tractor in the woodlot" thread![/QUOTE]

huh--if we could split wood by hand half as fast as he does--wed all be something--and from reading--his gal now--is just as "outdoorsy""

Back