My woodstack is marooned!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I 've been stung by the weather and not preparing well enough this fall. I usually stack a cord on the north side of the house by the basement door for when it gets too snowy or muddy out to get to the wood stacks. Between last year's mild winter where I didn't need it and getting a gator that can handle the soggy yard without rutting I decided to save my self the extra handling this year. Bad idea! We had 7 inches of snow with high winds saturday when I was out of town and my gatorload in the lower level garage is empty. Problem is the garage has 7 foot of concrete hard snow burying the entrance! I have a quad with a plow that will move it when i get a chance, but with negative temps and -20 windchill, I decided a few sled loads was good enough to get through to milder temps.

If I had to do it this way all the time I'd gladly pay the fuel man! lol. And then the kids were sad that I wouldn't pull them around on it after 3 loads and an hour of lugging. I told them it was too cold, but really I'm too old! :cry:

I used my ice fishing sled I made out of 2 downhill ski's and a old bed frame yesterday to haul out wood with my snowmobile in knee deep snow. I could strap down 9 rounds on it at a time.

2003_0101Sled_20110001.jpg

We usually only get 3 good snows a year. This one had so much wind that there's only an inch in some spots and 7 footers elsewhere. I was grouse hunting 120 miles south in a valley out of the wind where it was 8"of nice powdery fluff, much to the chagrin of my brother and cousin who left their seldom used snowmobiles at home! Oh well, maybe they can reenact the Evel Knievel gorge jump over the stack this weekend.

I used my ice fishing sled I made out of 2 downhill ski's and a old bed frame yesterday to haul out wood with my snowmobile in knee deep snow. I could strap down 9 rounds on it at a time.

Now you're just having too much fun... Don't tell anyone or they might complain that you are causing global warming with your snow machine exhaust. Lol

The wood I have stored in my barn will be running out in maybe 3 weeks and I'll be facing about the same problem. I sure hope in warms up a little by then.

Not quite sure but I would expect the skis to sink in if the sled is loaded a bit more. I would add a second pair of skis just to be on the safe side. Further I like "painting" wood with old engine oil so that is withstands the elements a little better.

Still very nice design.

Ha! You get spoiled..

..when I was in high school, we had a real big blizzard, 48 inch and drifts. I had to drop out the upstairs window to shovel out the front door. Took awhile... Two weeks off from school though!

We ran out of apple and cherry logs, so my dad bought some lumber over the phone (phone stayed up for some reason) from a local builder in the neighborhood, and I snowshoed over with the toboggan and drug back regular lumber. We cut that up and kept from freezing. Primary heat then was fuel oil and that ran out and zilch road traffic, no deliveries or nuthin. Natguard dropped canned food from a helo a couple miles away at the closest country store and a friend and I did the same thing, snowshoes and the toboggan, went around knocked on doors and handed out canned food to those who needed it.

I used to think big blizzards were fun! Sport!

Around here if we get even a couple inches of snow it is a big deal....

Sounds like the perfect excuse for a new Kubota with cab, front end loader, and 3 point blower! Up here, it's really the only way I can keep my access open.

Well after 24 hrs at work and 36 hrs of letting the fuel oil burn in single digit temps...I'm finally back on the wood burning train! Woot woot! My good friend and neighbor offered me the use of his gator and I gladly accepted the offer with daylight wasting away. The bilco door wood bin is loaded to the top and the house is 71 and rising. Cheers!image.jpg

Sorry to see that your in a bind but....that is nothing for snow for my area. If I was to put my pile across the prevailing winds, like every one preaches, there would be 8ft deep drifts. Dig it out by hand, buy a snow blower....and make some ash.....

In N CA we stuck in a drought and high record temps. Haven't had a fire since a cold week in November. I used to deliver papers in Michigan and do not miss the cold and snow at all. Stay warm.

Latest posts

Back