Mysterious MS440 oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm not sure where it's coming from.. I'm not coming from the cap or from where the chain gets oil,(clutch and sprocket area) It seems to be coming from the other side and under the body/power head. Maybe around where one can adjust the amount of oil flow.

Any ideas? What needs to be replaced/inspected? And how does one get there?

check the vent ,it is above the bar nuts ,about the size of a pencil eraser around ,has a little hole in the center with a ball and spring inside ,sometimes they will stick and leak oil when sitting

If it were me, I'd remove the side cover, bar and chain, clean it all up as best as possible, and then place it on a level surface with oil in the tank, and place a paper towel under it, and wait. The paper towel should reveal it's location. Just having a very good idea as to the reason / location of the leak is a good first step.

I'm no chainsaw mechanic, but that doesn't mean I'm afraid to tear one down and booger things up.

BTW......I'm thinking more saws leak oil to some degree, than not.

Well, wherever it is coming from it's on the opposite side of the clutch cover. When I lay the saw on it's side a pool of oil gathers in the area where you adjust the flow of the oil. That entire area seems to fill with oil. When the saw is right side up, it all spills down. What could that be?

Back