Naa/Isa where do you sit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a member, subscriber, or holder of:

• ISA Certified Arborist

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Cert. Landscape Technician (or similar)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • employed by National Arborist Association member company

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • International Society of Arboriculture

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • ISA Local Chapter

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Student Society of Arboriculture

• Society of American Foresters

• Associated Landscape Contractors of America

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • American Forests

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Tree/Landscape Organization

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Naa/Isa

Just sitting here wondering how many people here on the board are members of ISA, and if there are also persons here members of the NAA also.

Being certified arborist and an ISA Member, I have also considered joining NAA (even though it is more expensive), but I have not read any posts here relating anyone to the NAA.

Some of the literature and products from the NAA are almost identical to ISA, but then the NAA seems to possess more information in some instances than ISA.

Additionally, does NAA have a board such as this or am I simply behind the times once again?

NAA? ISA? Where do you sit?

I will expose all of my affliations because everyone deserves to know.

Student Member of the ISA (International Society of Arboriculture)

Student Member of the Wisconsin Arborist Association (chapter of the ISA)

Employee of an NAA (National Arborist Association) member company (for over 20 years)

Employee of a company whose owner has been a member of the ISA for over 20 years and has distributed their literature and information with the employees ever since

Employee of a WLCA (Wisconsin Landscape Contractors Association) member company

Employee of an ALCA (Associated Landscape Contractors of America) member company

President-elect of the UW-Stevens Point branch of the Student Society of Arboriculture, a professional affliate of the ISA
as a result, I am a board member of the international SSA, effective Jan. 1

Member of the American Conifer Society

Squeaky wheel for all of the above. :) Once I get the paperwork filled out, ArboristDesign.com will become an NAA member. I strongly believe in the power of organizing as an industry, and I will forever be a member of these organizations, whether or not I fully agree with them. Instead of moaning and groaning about their shortcomings, I vow to volunteer, to act, to participate, and to make them the best that they can be.

Nickrosis

NAA has a members only section of their website, I have not been there since I cannot afford membership.

I'm a WAA member and a Life Member of the ISA.

I'm wondering here....

The # of Cert. Arbs = # of ISA members.......I would assume that the all certified arborists are members because it is financially advantageous to do so. That makes me wonder why the hundreds of other people on this site are not members, even if they aren't certified.

It sure doesn't cost very much to be a member, in my opinion. The student rate is has gone up, but it still is reasonable. For a professional, it's a great value! You save a lot on books, you have a magazine and journal membership, you get free publicity, and you save when you go to conferenes. Come on, it costs more for a Playstation 2!
http://www.isa-arbor.com/AboutISA/membershipinfo.html

My other observation is the low, low number of people who work for NAA member companies. Why isn't your employer a member of the NAA? If you ask me, $1200 per year is another great deal when, again, you consider the benefits. Savings on literature, conferences, many subscriptions for each employee of your company: The Reporter, free copy of the ANSI standards, publicity, group discounts, awards, networking, education, managment assistance, The Treeworker, TCI Magazine, and much more. Sounds like it's worth more than $1200 to me!

Plus, once you begin to prosper from the benefits of these organizations, you'll find it even easier to pay a membership fee. I am a strong believer in the power of organization. What aren't some of you fond of these organizations?

Wrong answers: They don't do anything with the money. They screwed me over this one time. I don't like the color green. My great-uncle's name is Stan.

Looking forward to hearing from people.

Nickrosis

Sorry Nick,
$1200 per year so one can get a free copy of the 'Z' and discounts on overpriced literature? I'll pass. :rolleyes:
I (and I assume many others) would rather use that $1200 per year in a more profitable manner. Something besides getting to put an NAA sticker in your window and on your yellow page ad.

I agree with Brian, they want a percentage of gross and it is way to high for me and other micro companies.

I appreciate the NAA's involvement in government relations and all, but the cost:benefit is just not there.

The only thing i could see value to a micro company is if there were a worker death due to worker neglegence and the company needed assistance against OSHA.

I am an ISA member and member of Penn-del and NJ ISA chapters.
For 3 years I was a NAA member. I believe NAA is more for the bussiness management side of tree care. I felt that the cost to benifit ratio for my small company was not worth the $250 annual fee. Much of the info was geared to larger companies and was irrevalent to my 2-3 person operation. When they couldn't provide me with the records on my EHAP and TSC that I completed I dropped my membership. If you have a larger company than I would recommend NAA membership.

As far as ISA membership, I wouldn't be without it. The benifits far out way the cost for me.

How many of you constant whiners have actually been members of either organization?

I am a Cert. Arb. and ISA member. I'm also a rare Canadian NAA member.

If you think that $250 US is expensive for you Americans, let me school you on that cost for us Canucks.

That $250 US turned out to be $405.93 CAN :eek: in Jan. 2002.

And I just received my invoice for 2003 ------- $350 US.
I'll do the math for you, that's $547.57 CAN.

I realize that I can't blame the NAA for the exchange rate, but it is a reality that all Canadians must live with.

If I was in the 100K - 200K earnings range, I'd still be pissed.

I've enjoyed being a NAA member. I personally think that the TCI is a better source of info than the Arb. News.

BUT that's a lot of cash that could be spent somewhere else,...... chain grinder, log splitter, etc.

Still haven't decided what I'll do.

Back