nails+chain=junked chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua mason

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
as you all know, nails can do some damage. i was out at my brothers sawing up some old cedar fence post he was wanting to burn. i got about halfway through one and wam hit a freaking nail. totally junked the chain, missing a couple of the cutters. this wouldnt have been so bad if i hadnt just spent an hour filing the chain from wear he had dulled it so bad in the week i had loaned him the saw.

i guess now i am going to get a new bar and chain. husqvarna 55 rancher currently have a 20" bar, i want to go with a 16" bar 3/8 pitch chain. anyone have any recomendations, please no safety chain.

Last edited:
Lucky you didn't get hurt. I hope you were wearing chaps, that could have had a bad kickback.

I was falling a tree last fall and hit cattle fence right down the middle, you know the kind with 2x4 squares.

The number of drive links needed is totally dependent on your bar. There is usually a number stamped on the bar which tells you the specifications of the chain required I try to buy bars that use common #'s of drive links. Some examples are: 20" = 72 links, 24" = 84 links, 28" = 93 links. You can simply call Bailey's since you are wanting a new bar and they can fix you right up. I like the semi chisel cutters over the round chisel cutters due to the fact that they hold their edge longer. I cut all sorts of stuff and very little is clean green wood.

double check that chain, easy enough to replace a couple of teeth (and relatively cheap) and redress the rest (taking down the new links), just thought I'd mention that.
Yup on the page wire fencing, always be careful cutting trees near old fence-lines, people who nail fencing to trees need re-education :D Like tack a frikken 1x2 to it first!

:cheers:

Serge

I scored a bunch of free wood. Excavator putting in a roadway and gave me all the trees he took down. Probaly cut enough to last me me all next winter. Hit some steel in the middle of an old Cherry tree and trashed a chain. Had to put it on the grinder and make and grind it twice. Could not sharpen it in with one grind or would have blued teeth. Never have hit steel before. Rocked a pile of chains, but no steel. Really hogged up the chain. I was impressed.

nailed it

Hit this nail with Stihl square ground full skip32" B&C 066. Cutting slowed knew I had hit something but amazingly just a few corners got dinged. Finished the cut still making chips. So much for delicate square grind. Wood is around30".
attachment.php

no saving this chain. minus a cutter and raker and everything else is bent and laid over to one side. ill see if i can get a pic of it tomorrow.

Hit this nail with Stihl square ground full skip32" B&C 066. Cutting slowed knew I had hit something but amazingly just a few corners got dinged. Finished the cut still making chips. So much for delicate square grind. Wood is around30".
attachment.php

Not wanting to hi jack this thread but the worst thing I ever hit was a horseshoe. Cutting up a 30"dia yellow birch that split into two big branch offs around 8' up from the butt with a 066 at WOT it bounced the saw nearly out of the cut and took 17 teeth off the 32" bar and chain setup.No I did not try to save the chain as upon inspection the rivets almost half way around were streatched and slightly twisted. Yes I was wearing chainsaw pants and full PPE.
After cursing up a storm I carefully cut 12" either side of the collision cut and never hit anything but cut carefully anyway. took the axe and split pieces off until lo and behold a horseshoe appeared with a bright nick in it from the saw chain. You could see where the tree had grown around this thing when someone placed it in the Y when the tree was young. That was a rude awakening. Around here you never know when you will hit nails as the deer hunters have been building tree stands for 50 years or more and use spikes to hold them to trees,they are buried in the wood and you just never know where they are.
Pioneerguy600

i guess now i am going to get a new bar and chain. husqvarna 55 rancher currently have a 20" bar, i want to go with a 16" bar 3/8 pitch chain. anyone have any recomendations, please no safety chain.

Yep, If your saw is currently 3/8 pitch, you'll probably get a 60dl chain for a 16" Husky 3/8th bar. Much better option for that saw IMO, 20" is a bit too much.

Latest posts

Back