Name on an axe like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's always Kjell, Knut, Grettir, Snori, Leif, Ulf, Jens, Baerbel, Holger, Arne I'm sure there's some umlauts in there some where...

And we can't forget Toki Wartooth or Skwisgar Skwigelf, They both play a mighty axe...

Last edited:
Do You know a shop in Finland that has them to a good price?

No, Mats, the only industrially produced brand available here is Swedish Gränsfors. Their prices seem to be the same everywhere. There is a large variety of hand crafted broad axes for a salty price.

Didn't know these had become uncommon... We've got a couple hewing broad axes hanging around the farm. They have single bevel edges like a chisel so you can cleave a flat surface on your notched edge.

A guy that worked at Old Sturbridge Village tried to teach my hewing once, but I was pretty bad at it.

Alright Marc, that chisel like ax is for finishing the edge. Over here that kind of one sided ax was for decorating: People used to live here, yet 100 years ago, in the smoke houses without chimney. The inside walls were black of tar. Sometimes, for a special occasion, when they wanted white walls, they cleaned the logs with an ax.

Nowadays there is plenty of power head attached tools available for hewing.

View attachment 268393

Finally got one, a Bulgarian guy sells these on ebay for about 50 usd. 4lbs and cutting edge 8 inches, real size! Looking forward to try logging with it :)

Latest posts

Back